Helpful Links

Defective Fire Stick...

ACE - Expert

Defective Fire Stick...

It seems I have a defective Fire Stick.  

It sees my network.  

I have a simple alpha-numeric password, no funny characters.  

I have Cox internet 100 Mbps service

roku and Chromecast connect fine.

Fire Stick authenticates, cycles several times, then says, failed to connect.

Can I exchange at an ATT store?

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) We are fellow customers. Our answers are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (2)
Message 1 of 11
ACE - Expert

Re: Defective Fire Stick...

Replacement will be shipped from Amazon in 10 days, it's out of stock.  

No credit to DirectV Now.  (Sorry fellas, I know your busy)

Im an Amazon prime member, I was able to provide serial number and work it out with them.  

FYI serial number is under a big sticker.  I used A hairdryer to get it off so I could read the small sticker.

0994D62F-D305-4C6E-AC35-2BF2F8B208B5.JPG

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) We are fellow customers. Our answers are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 11
Tutor

Wow you are good AND patient!!!

Message 3 of 11
ACE - Expert

@isthisit

I guess so.  It's been almost 2 months and no replacement from Amazon.  

I may have to get "creative " with purchase and return.

Chromcasting has worked great 

Message 4 of 11
Guru

@lizdance40. Probably be waiting a lot longer it's out of stock again now till 2/24

Message 5 of 11
Contributor

Just found this forum, and I'm surprised to find you have the exact same problem with a defective fire stick.  However, my experience with trying to get a replacement is quite different, and hope you might have some suggestions for me.

In January, I found that I had the same problem with password rejection on connection and contacted both Amazon and Directvnow. Amazon worked with me and escalated the problem to their highest support level, determined that the fire stick was defective, but indicated that they could not provide a replacement since it was not purchased from directly from Amazon, and I should contact Directvnow for replacement.

So, contacted Directvnow via the (800)# they provided with the fire stick, apparently called "Group O", who indicated that they ONLY dealt with products obviously physically damaged by shipping, ie. water, torn packaging, smashed, etc.

Next I contacted Directvnow via chat, and after spending hours [literally, hours] in chat with them telling me the fault lay with Amazon and Group O, they finally agreed to send me a replacement fire stick within 2-3 weeks. However, they did not keep their promise.

After a month, after again spending hours in chat, Directvnow escalated this problem to a "Supervisor", who called (eventually) and promised to have a replacement sent immediately. Again, promise not kept. So, after more hours in chat, and I ask for escalation, "Supervisor " again calls and leaves voicemail, at 4:00 A.M. local time, and makes the same promises for immediate shipment.

Now, it's a few weeks later, again spending literally hours in chat with multiple, different agents, who all follow the same procedure. Pretend ignorance, repeat that I should contact 'Group O", eventually agree that my account, phone call, and chat history notes show that a replacement has been promised but not shipped, and finally, begin making personal promises, ie. "trust me, I will handle this personally", "I will make sure its done", etc.

Still no replacement, and I have never viewed Directvnow, despite being a subscriber since December.  My family refuses to gather around a laptop to watch when perfectly good 55" TV is available, so I continue to pay the cable provider.

Any suggestions other than giving up and walking away?

My apologies for this very long post.

Tags (2)
Message 6 of 11
Scholar

@feelfoolish, I feel for you. You asked for some suggestions. Can you hook your laptop up to your TV with an HDMI cable?  If so, you can try that in the mean time.  But I would also contact Chat and ask for a credit for one or more full months where you had no service. The Chat people will be able to look in the past notes. (If they offer you just $10.00, I would not accept that.)  That $35 or more credit will delay the next time you are billed.  

I am very surprised that Amazon won't take back a defective device under warranty.  You might want to pursue that again.  When you contact Amazon, be sure to get somebody in the Fire TV department. You may need to provide the serial number like someone in this thread mentioned. That way Amazon can tell it's not over a year old. Heck, people get gifts of Fire Stick and there must be some way to get them fixed under warranty.  But as the Original Poster said, they have been waiting 2 months for a warranty replacment.

Looks like currently even Amazon has the Fire Stick out of stock until March 2nd. (There is a possibility that is why you haven't received the replacment yet from DirecTV Now.) Looks like Best Buy is out of stock on it too at the moment.  Since it's $39.99, if warranty replacement doesn't work it might pay to buy one on your own when it comes into stock. (But personally, I would only do that if you get at least $35.00 credit, and if you've tested with your laptop and you like DTV Now sufficiently to keep it. Note, however, that each device works a little differently with DTVNow). Buying it from Amazon, may save you the aggravation of more hours in Chat with DirecTV Now. If you wind up buying it and disliking the Fire Stick, you can return it to Amazon (if it's still in new like condition), and you'd only be out the return shipping costs which I think might be around $7.00. 

There are also forum posts about some people getting $25 refunds by filing FCC complaints. Here is a news article about refunds:  http://awfulannouncing.com/online-outlets/upset-directv-now-customers-denied-refunds-take-their-case... .

Good Luck.

Message 7 of 11
Contributor

Thank you for your helpful suggestions

With respect to using my computer to access, none of my computers use SSD drives, so the strain of continuous streaming on the physical drives will significantly shorten their lifespans, and in any case, none have HD outs. But it was a really good suggestion.

I have indeed managed to get the Chat agents to apply credits to my account, but only after going through hours of torturous chat sessions, where they pretend not to understand, then misinform, and finally agree.

However, the credit provided ONLY apply to FUTURE DirecTVnow service, they will not credit back my paypal account. So, at this point, it seems that I have already paid them over $70.00 directly out of pocket, which they will not refund, and I cannot recapture unless I stick with DirecTVnow and use their service [which I still have not seen] for at least 2 months after they send me a firestick that works. Assuming that they ever do keep their promise to send a functioning firestick, and further assuming that they will provide me with additional credits, which I don't really see as being likely, at least not without hours of punishing me with their chat sessions.

Amazon bumped me to their highest Firestick support level, and determined that it needed to be returned to the seller, based on the serial number of the firestick. Amazon explained that it keeps track of the serial numbers so they know if a Firestick was received as a gift, whether it was purchased directly from them or a third party seller. They provide replacement warranty service if it was originally purchased retail from Amazon, and will only provide replacement warranty service for third party sellers, such as DirecTVnow, only AFTER the firestick is hooked up to an Amazon account, and then fails during the warranty period. Firesticks that are defective straight out of the box need to be replaced via the original retailer, in this case, DirecTVnow.

What really bothers me is the level of dishonesty that seems to be part of the Directvnow chat protocol. Despite informing me that they have reviewed the account, chat history, and phone call history, every chat session progresses the same way, is virtually identical to the previous chat sessions, and concludes the same way with personal promises of immediate action, which are not kept. They have never indicated that the Firestick is out of stock, much less given an honest shipping time frame.

Chat agents alway provide me with the old tracking number for the defective firestick shipped in December 2016, to "prove" that it was sent, then say to call "Group O", then insist I must call "Group O", then eventually agree that account notes as far back as January 2017 call for reshipment, agree reshipment has not occurred, and finally, "personally" promise immediate reshipment.

I have taken your suggestion that I simply get my own firestick, to heart. A friend indicates that he will give me a functioning firestick to use to view DirecTVnow.

But DirecTVnow still owes me a Firestick, don't they? And what if I decide not to keep the service? If I never get the Firestick, it seems that they owe me $70+, don't they?

Again, apologies for the lost posting, thank you for your help, and thank you for allowing me to vent.

Message 8 of 11
ACE - Expert

@feelfoolish

I have been using an old Chrome Cast since day one with few hitches.  Amazon promised me an exchange, and nothing.   I will give them one more chance, then I will take matters into my own hands.   If I have to, I will swap the fire stick at a local retailer with a switcheroo purchase.  That is if I can buy one that works locally.  Then return the defective one for refund.  Either way Amazon will have to deal with it.

Message 9 of 11
Contributor

Just wanted to thank everyone for their help, and give an update.

Just received DTVnow email indicating that the firestick was shipped via FedEx, provided the tracking number, and it only took one more chat session with DTVnow since my last post.

I think I finally got results as I was able to short circuit their chat runaround script by being responsive only when necessary, and not engaging in their process.

At the beginning of the chat session I politely indicated that my account, chat and phone call history contained all the information necessary and that I would simply respond with "notes" whenever I was asked for information previously discussed. So, I simply asked for my item to be shipped, and basically responded with "notes" to virtually all inquiries [as it is obviously scripted by DTVnow], including requests for my name/address.

Chat agent became frustrated and indicated that she couldn't help since I wouldn't engage, so I suggested escalation above her immediate supervisor as I had already discussed the situation with supervisor. Supervisor entered chat, began to run the same chat script, again with nonengagement by me, and he quickly indicated that he had "Group O", the shipping department waiting to ship, and I could either just give him my name and address, or he would have to spend 10 minutes reading the chat history to get the information. I indicated that I would wait patiently, that he should take his time to completely review the situation, and since I waited this long that I would like a $70 credit.

Less than a minute elapsed and he indicated that a $70 credit had been applied, and I needed to provide my name and address so the firestick could be shipped the next day. Again, my response simply indicated that the information in the account was accurate. He responded that my firestick would ship the next day, and I would receive confirmation email with tracking information. Naturally, I thanked him politely.

Received the email and tracking information today, and I am hopeful that since the firestick is now in the hands of FedEx, this horrible process may be over.  Also hopeful that I will be happy with the DTVnow service, and that this hasn't just been a waste of time.

Again, thank you all for your help, and I hope my experience will help others to get what is due to them from DTVnow.

Message 10 of 11
ACE - Expert

Well, so I guess I need to nag the right department.  

Message 11 of 11
Share this topic
Announcements

CBS, CW, Showtime, PopTV - all coming soon to DIRECTV NOW. Learn More! Official Press Release.

AUDIENCE Network’s Mr. Mercedes pilot episodes available for free. Access Here!

Additional Support