Explore & discover

Helpful Links

DIRECTVNOW on Chromecast

Highlighted
Community Support

DIRECTVNOW on Chromecast

Chromecast.png

How to setup and use DIRECTV NOW on a Google Chromecast device

(2nd generation and higher on Android & iOS devices, Chrome browser)

A Google Chromecast device allows for video from your mobile device or Google Chrome browser to be cast to any television or monitor device that has an HDMI input.

• For more information regarding Google Chromecast, its functions and features, visit their homepage here.
  • For Google's Chromecast Built-in, compatible devices and features, visit their homepage here.
  • For Google Chromecast enabled TV devices like NVidia Shield TV, please visit the manfucaturer for specific details.
  • For help with setup of your Google Chromecast device and connecting it to your television or home Wi-Fi network please visit their support site here.

Not all home network router device are supported by Google Chromecast. Visit Google's list of supported routers here for more information.

How to Cast DIRECTV NOW on a Google Chromecast device

Before trying to connect to DIRECTV NOW, ensure that your Google Chromecast device is setup by being connected to your television and Wi-Fi network. The mobile device you intend to use to cast from must also be on the same Wi-Fi network as your Google Chromecast device.

1. If you have not done so, download the Google Cast application, launch the program and connect to your Google Chromecast device in the devices menu.
  2. Download the DIRECTV NOW application, launch the program and login to your account on your mobile device or Google Chrome browser.
  3. With the DIRECTV NOW application open select the Cast icon in the upper or lower area of your screen.
  4. Choose the Google Chromecast device you wish to Cast to if a list appears to display your DIRECTV NOW application on your television.
  5. Any content you select to play will not be displayed on your television. For more information about how to Cast viewable content on your screen visit the Google Chromecast support site here.

How do I stop Casting DIRECTV NOW on a Google Chromecast device

1. When you are done casting DIRECTV NOW on your Google Chromecast device with the application open select the Cast icon in the upper or lower area of your screen and select Disconnect to finish the Cast.
  2. Alternatively, you can stop the cast from the Google Cast application on the devices tab. Select the option associated with your device to Stop Casting.
  3. If you want to Cast another application, you can launch the new application and select Cast from that app to stop streaming one application and begin a new Cast.

Issues with DIRECTVNOW on your Chromecast?

I closed the DIRECTV NOW and or the Google Cast applications but video keeps playing

1. If you closed the Google Cast and or the DIRECTV NOW applications and video is still playing on your television you can stop the cast from the Google Cast application.
  2. Simply launch the Google Cast application, select the devices tab, select the option associated with your Chromecast device to Stop Casting.
  3. If you want to Cast another application, you can launch the new application and select Cast from that app to stop streaming one application and begin a new Cast.

What do I do if the device streaming to the television is not available?

1. If the device that was casting to the Google Chromecast device that was streaming to the television is no longer available, connect to the Google Chromecast using another mobile device with the Google Cast application.
  2. If unable to connect using another mobile device, factory reset your Google Chromecast device.
    1. Press and hold the button on the side of the Google Chromecast device for 30 seconds or until it displays a factory reset message on screen.
    2. Follow the guided Google Chromecast setup on your device using the Google Cast application if you want to set it up again (for more information check here).
    3. The device will remain idle until setup again.

How do I change my Internet connection on my Google Chromecast Device?

1. Open your Google Cast application and select the devices tab.
  2. To the right of your Google Chromecast device name, click on the three vertical dots   and select device settings.
  3. Click on Network and then Forget This Network.
  4. Close the Google Cast application and then launch it.
  5. Choose the devices tab and set up your Google Chromecast device.

Factory reset your Google Chromecast device.

1. Press and hold the button on the side of the Google Chromecast device for 30 seconds or until it displays a factory reset message on screen.
  2. Follow the guided Google Chromecast setup on your device using the Google Cast application (for more information check here).

Other steps that can improve your video streaming issues include:

1. Ensure that the device you are using is Google Chromecast compatible and compatible with the DIRECTV NOW service.
  2. Update your DIRECTV NOW and Google Cast applications on your mobile devices app store.
  3. Power cycle your Google Chromecast device by unplugging it for one minute.
  4. Power cycle your mobile device by turning it off for one minute.
  5. Uninstall and reinstall the DIRECTV NOW and Google Cast applications on your mobile device.
  6. Check for device updates for your mobile device.

The DIRECTV NOW application has a pairing or failure to connect device issue on Google Chromecast

This could indicate a connection issue between your Google Chromecast device and the mobile device. To resolve this issue try the following steps:

1. Close the DIRECTV NOW and Google Cast applications and launch them again.
  2. Update your DIRECTV NOW and Google Cast applications from your application store (if available).
  3. Ensure your mobile device is on the same Wi-Fi network that you are trying to connect the Google Chromecast device to.
  4. Factory reset your Google Chromecast device.
    2. Follow the guided Google Chromecast setup on your device using the Google Cast application (for more information check here).

Getting an error Code?

• Find out what it means here.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any other questions.

-DIRECTVNOWCare 

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.
Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCares and @DIRECTVService

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 1 of 44
Community Support
Solution
Accepted by Community Support (Community Support)
Accepted by DIRECTVNOWCare
‎11-30-2016 6:08 AM

Re: DIRECTVNOW on Chromecast

If still having issues, here are a few other posts that may help:

DIRECTV NOW streaming issues on Chromecast Stick

Internet connectivity and Wi-Fi network tips

Fixing Buffering/Streaming issues

Adjusting your Stream Settings

Understanding Error Codes

Understanding Blackouts

Need more help? Search through the DIRECTV NOW Community for great answers. Get diy help with your account, device setup, and streaming with DIRECTV NOW eSupport or contact us 24/7 on chat. Don't forget to follow us on Twitter @directvnowhelp!

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 44

chromecast support for ios

when will chromecast for ios be supported for directv now

Message 3 of 44
Contributor

DirectvNow and Chromecast?

Will Chromecast be implemented into this app in future updates? 

Message 4 of 44
Teacher

Re: DirectvNow and Chromecast?

It is, and it works great.

Message 5 of 44
Community Support

Re: chromecast support for ios

Hi @philwest50,

It is supported for Chromecast. Check out our supported devices article here.

-DIRECTVNOWCare

Need more help? Search through the DIRECTV NOW Community for great answers. Get diy help with your account, device setup, and streaming with DIRECTV NOW eSupport or contact us 24/7 on chat. Don't forget to follow us on Twitter @directvnowhelp!

Message 6 of 44
Contributor

IOS and Chromecast not able to work

Do you know when IOS support for chromsecast and Directtv now will be available? It would be nice if they noted that or put a relese date for this. I got the Directtv now under the impression that Chromecast was supported only to find out that I am unable to use it due to not having an android device. Do you know when this update will be available or if there is a workaround so we are unable to view the service on a chromecast useing an IOS device.

Message 7 of 44
Teacher

Re: DIRECTVNOW on Chromecast

Feeling pretty stupid, but I can't find the Chromecast icon anywhere within the DirectTV Now app on my iphone.  (Note: I've been using Chromecast sucessfully on this phone fo a long time now)

Not sure what is wrong and the directions above don't help as it is what I did anyway.   Am I missing somehing here?  Casting from my Iphone will likely be my main method of viewing.

Message 8 of 44
Teacher

@DIRECTVNOWCare, I think you misunderstand.

The Original Poster is asking when the DirecTVNOW iOS app will support controlling the chromecast.   Currently, your page says this is only supported on Android.

The Original Poster (and I) would like to know the ETA of this functionality being available in the iOS application.

Thanks!

Message 9 of 44
Teacher

Well, I have the app on my iphone (via itunes - only way to get the app right now), but I can't find the chromecast icon to actually cast video.  What is wrong here?

Message 10 of 44

Chromecast

Can't stream local channels via chromecast. I get a message saying this video can not be stream. Im trying to stream my local nbc news station.
Message 11 of 44
Contributor

Re: Chromecast

This link states that Local NBC channels cannot currently be streamed to this type of device. https://help.directvnow.com/hc/en-us/articles/211874786-Can-I-watch-local-channels-from-other-parts-...

Message 12 of 44
Community Support

Re: IOS and Chromecast not able to work

Hi @geggon,

Thank you for reaching out to the DIRECTV NOW community. We do not have any timelines for when specific devices will have the functionality that you want with IOS and Chromecast. Stay tuned for updates and visit this page for additional information for Chromecast usage.

-DIRECTVNOWCare

Message 13 of 44

Chromecast Won't Start Stream

I am using a Samsung Galaxy S7 to start playback on a Chromecast via the DIRECTV NOW app.  The Chromecast begins loading the video, shows the program name and progress bar and then a blue circle of dots starts spinning endlessly.  I've tried rebooting the Chromecast and my phone but I cannot get anything to work.  I have the same problem with VOD and live video.

I am able to cast YouTube and other video services from my phone so I know it's not a network issue.

• Running latest version of the DIRECTV NOW app for Android (1.0.0.2021)
  • Running the latest Chromecast firmware (1.21.74816)
  • Running the latest Android build for the Samsung Galaxy S7 (6.0.1)

Anyone else having problems with Chromecast?

Tags (2)
Message 14 of 44
Community Support

Re: Chromecast Won't Start Stream

Hi @Alternator,

Sorry to read of the trouble you are having. Check out this link, it has a few troubleshoot articles that may help.

-DIRECTVNOWCare

Message 15 of 44
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
Learn all about the recent Changes to DIRECTV NOW Packages!
Additional Support