Explore & discover

Helpful Links

DIRECTV NOW on Amazon FireTV or Fire Stick

Announcements...
Learn all about the recent Changes to DIRECTV NOW Packages!
Community Support

DIRECTV NOW on Amazon FireTV or Fire Stick

Getting an error Code? DIRECTV NOW Error Messages.

AmazonTVBanner.jpg

How do I install the DIRECTV NOW application?

1. From Amazon.com:
    • Go to the DIRECTV NOW app.
    • Select the device you want the app installed to from the dropdown.
    • Select the Deliver button.
    • The DIRECTV NOW app will download and install on your device.
  1. From the device:
    • From the main screen, navigate to the “Featured Apps & Games”.
    • Scroll to the right and select “DIRECTV NOW”
    • Select “Download”
    • The DIRECTV NOW app will download and install on your device. 

How do I navigate DIRECTV NOW on the Amazon Fire TV Stick

1. Use Left and Right to change the channel.
  2. Use Up to quickly access Search, Guide, Watchlist and Settings. (Press Down to exit)
  3. Use Down to access Home, Shows, Movies, Networks, Guide and Search. (Press Up to exit) 

How do I update the DIRECTV NOW application?

1. In the left menu, select Settings.
  2. Scroll to and select the Apps menu.
  3. Scroll down to highlight and select the Appstore.
  4. Use the center touchpad button to set automatic updates to "on." 

If you are running into issues playing DIRECTV NOW on your Amazon device, such as issues with the application starting or picture/sound issues, these steps can help repair your service.

Screen Resolution

1. From the main screen, scroll down to “Settings”
  2. Select “Display & Sounds”
  3. Scroll down and select “Display”
  4. Select the resolution mode of your preference. 

Audio Issues?

1. Make sure the audio on your TV isn't muted.
  2. If going through another sound device, remove it and connect directly to the TV for testing purposes.  
  3. From the Home screen, go to Settings > Display & Sounds > Dolby Digital Output and make sure Dolby Digital Plus is set to OFF.
  4. Unplug and reconnect the HDMI cable connecting Fire TV device to your TV. You may need to try a different HDMI cable. 

Buffering Issues?

1. Change your video resolution to a lower setting for testing purposes
    • Go to Settings > Display > video resolution
    • You can also access the hidden video resolution options by:
      • Holding BACK and REVERSE and RIGHT and SELECT simultaneously for 10 seconds, the Fire TV will begin to cycle through various resolution settings. It will stop at each setting for 10 seconds and cycle to the next option if you do not press SELECT. Pressing SELECT will save the current display setting.
  2. If connected WiFi, make sure you are connected to a 5Ghz connection.
  3. Close any background apps, like Kodi or Plex.
  4. Ensure the software for the Amazon device and DIRECTV NOW are up to date.
  5. Clear disk space
    • Go to your Amazon device home screen.
    • Go to Settings > Applications > Manage Installed Applications.
    • Look at the Internal Space at the bottom left corner. If it's at 1GB or less, you will need to clear some space.
  6. Move your Amazon device at least 6 feet away from your TV.  Some TVs can cause RF interference which would interfere with the WiFi signal, causing unnecessary buffering.
  7. Change your power supply. If your device is not getting enough power from the power cable or the outlet, buffering can occur. We suggest connecting directly into the electrical outlet instead of going through a surge protector.

Note: Compatable with Generation 2 and above.

-DIRECTVNOWCare

Need more help? Search through the DIRECTV NOW Community for great answers. Get diy help with your account, device setup, and streaming with DIRECTV NOW eSupport or contact us 24/7 on chat. Don't forget to follow us on Twitter @directvnowhelp!

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 67 of 118
Contributor

Audio sync issue

All the audio and video is out of sync with each other. I've restarted the app and the fire stick. Currently getting 87mb download.
Message 1 of 118
Mentor

Re: Audio sync issue

I am getting the exact same issue on the Fire Stick.  The video is just behind the audio.  Hopefully someone will be able to respond with a solution.

Message 2 of 118
Contributor

I use a soundbar and  it has an audio sync adjustment.  I had to max it to get the sync close, but you may want tto chekc your TV or audio device settings.

Message 3 of 118
Teacher

Same problem with my FireTV stick. Audio seemed fine when casting to my Chromecast instead, but thats not a viable option for a family of 4, casting to a single TV. Hate to have to wait 2-3 weeks for my Apple TV to show up (which will probably work better). Hope this gets resolved quickly.

Message 4 of 118
Mentor

Was just reading reviews on the app. Many are complaining of the same issue with the stick. Hopefully att and amazon can get it fixed.

Message 5 of 118
Contributor

Lip sync problem

Is anyone else facing lip sync problems on the FireTV app. It is very distracting while watching. No problem on Android phone or iPad.
Message 6 of 118
Contributor

Re: Lip sync problem

Massive problems on multiple fire TV sticks. Sometimes it's okay, but it is almost always off by a little bit.
Message 7 of 118

I too am having this issue. Swapped out the Fire Stick for a Chromecast on the same TV and same HDMI port with no issues. Streams fine on my Apple devices and Desktops too, glad I opted for the Apple TV as my promotional offer....

Message 8 of 118
Mentor

I am getting a slight jerkiness in the video too, especially when things are moving fast, like when watching sports.  Don't have this problem on my laptop or iphone.

Message 9 of 118
Tutor

Same here

Message 10 of 118
Tutor

I'm also having audio/video sync issues and jerkiness when using a fire tv stick.  No problems with playstation vue or any other streaming app... Hope this gets resolved soon as the user experience has been pretty bad so far.  

Message 11 of 118
Tutor

Same delay issue on Fire Stick, no delay on PC, 60 Mbps download speed.  Have rebooted Fire Stick, cleared app cache and data, have reinstalled DirecTV Now, same delay issue.

Message 12 of 118

MSNBC Audio Sync Issues

The MSNBC Audio is out of sync. Checked on 2 different Amazon Fire Boxes and the Android app.
Message 13 of 118
Tutor

Re: MSNBC Audio Sync Issues

Working fine for me...

Message 14 of 118
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support