Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Can I get Data Free TV on my non-Unlimited data plan if I have another plan that is Unlimited Plus

Highlighted
Contributor

Can I get Data Free TV on my non-Unlimited data plan if I have another plan that is Unlimited Plus

I have an Unlimited Plus Data plan on my 2 iPhones and iPad. I also have another account (rural 500 GB) hotspot with unlimited home phone. 

So I have signed up for DirectTV now to watch on my Apple TV and Fire Stick devices. These connect to the wireless hotspot that is on an Unlimited Home Phone with the rural 500 GB data package. I 

When I chatted online with AT&T prior to signing up, they said that I am able to use Data Free TV with hotspot because I subscribe to an Unlimited Plan. However, at the store and during 2 different CS phone calls I was told that data used by DirectTV Now on the hotspot would count against the 500 GB data cap.

After having the service for a couple days, I have checked my data usage online and saw that some data usage on the hotspot plan was listed as Data Free TV. 

Should I trust this? I am worried about going over the 500 GB cap.

Thanks for the help!

Tags (2)
Message 1 of 2
ACE - Master
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Expert (ACE - Expert)
Accepted by Gary L
‎03-01-2018 4:59 PM

Re: Can I get Data Free TV on my non-Unlimited data plan if I have another plan that is Unlimited Pl

There are different things here.  The sponsored (free) data applies to DTVN use on a mobile device (phone or tablet), whether they are running directly on mobile data or indirectly by a hotspot.  This is unrelated to Unlimited plans - it applies to all ATT mobile plans, unlimited or not.  However, it doesn't apply to using DTVN on other types of devices (TV devices like Apple TV, Roku, Fire, or Chromecast, or on computers) on a hotspot - again, this is unrelated to what type of ATT mobile plan you have.

ATT Wireless reps tend to think in terms of things running on mobile devices, so their answers are not always accurate in the general case, especially for some other service (the service that sponsors the data is the entity that decides the rules, so in this case DTVN, not ATT Wireless).  

I don't know the specific rules for the rural plans, but my guess is that a mobile device running on that data would get sponsored data and other devices wouldn't - same as other cases.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 2
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support