Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Watching DIRECTV now using hotspot

Tutor

Watching DIRECTV now using hotspot

Anyone ever see anything in writing on this issue? Every time I chat with a directv now customer service or att customer service I get a different answer. I don't think they know either! Be nice to see some definitive information. 

I have personally tried using hotspot from iPhone to Apple Tv and got charged data. I also tried using the hotspot from iPhone to my iPad (wifi only model) and watched on iPad data free. I verified both situations by looking at my account on "myAT&T " app. 

I don't know how it worked on my iPad without data charges unless it and the iPhone both have iOS app where Apple Tv has the tvOS app? Any ideas?

Message 1 of 17
ACE - Expert

Re: Watching DIRECTV now using hotspot

@Jmsmbry wrote:

Anyone ever see anything in writing on this issue? Every time I chat with a directv now customer service or att customer service I get a different answer. I don't think they know either! Be nice to see some definitive information. 

@Jmsmbry It should work on the iPad. It should not work for the AppleTV.

Here's the writing, the first item lists devices: https://help.directvnow.com/hc/en-us/articles/212914066-Will-AT-T-Wireless-subscribers-incur-data-us...

@Jmsmbry wrote:

I don't know how it worked on my iPad without data charges unless it and the iPhone both have iOS app where Apple Tv has the tvOS app? Any ideas?

I'd think the AppleTV pulls the stream from a different server that isn't zero rated or adds something to the request to know that it's not to be included (more likely the former).

When solved / helped, please mark your question as solved by clicking "Accept solution".

This helps other people to find an answer more quickly.

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 17
Tutor

I see where it does say iPad but since mine does not have the cellular feature, the question was weather data charges would be incurred by using my iPhone hotspot. I don't know how att knows what the hotspot is being used for unless using the app tells them that it is for DIRECTV now streaming
Message 3 of 17
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by Jmsmbry
‎12-20-2016 4:23 PM

@Jmsmbry wrote:
I see where it does say iPad but since mine does not have the cellular feature, the question was weather data charges would be incurred by using my iPhone hotspot. I don't know how att knows what the hotspot is being used for unless using the app tells them that it is for DIRECTV now streaming

You can see on the FAQ on this page that tethered data counts too (when coming from the correct server). If the AppleTV comes from a source that isn't free then it won't count.   https://www.att.com/att/sponsoreddata/en/index.html

Combined with this, the other page (that I linked above) is basically saying the DirectTV Now apps on those specific devices have free data as long as it's pospaid cellular data (even when tethered).

Technically, I'm not sure if DirecTV Now is considered "sponsored" or they are using some other term for it. But it seems to be treated the same. 

Does AT&T Sponsored Data work when I’m in a tethering session or using a mobile hotspot?
Yes. AT&T Sponsored Data works when a customer is connected domestically to AT&T’s network on an eligible device and rate plan, including when on a tethering session via smartphone, tablet, or mobile hotspot.

• Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 4 of 17
Tutor

Thank you very much for that link. That seems to answer the fact that tethering is data free as long it is proper device which iPad is listed.
Message 5 of 17
Tutor

ATT Unite Pro with DTV Now

All of the internet in my house comes through an ATT Unite Pro hotspot receiving ATT data - if I connect devices to this, then use the DTV Now app, only a small amount of the streaming is listed as "free DTVnow sponsored data" - the rest gets charged.  Eg - a half day or so of streaming results in less than 300MB free streaming, with about 7GB of data deducted from my cap.  We also use a wifi range extender (Netgear AC1200).  Any ideas about this?

Message 6 of 17
Community Support

Re: ATT Unite Pro with DTV Now

Hi @prg916,

What is your question? We would like to get a better idea of what you are asking.

-DIRECTVNOWCare

Need more help? Search through the DIRECTV NOW Community for great answers. Get diy help with your account, device setup, and streaming with DIRECTV NOW eSupport or contact us 24/7 on chat. Don't forget to follow us on Twitter @directvnowhelp!

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 7 of 17
Tutor

Sure -my question is why is "free"streaming through the DTVNow app using ATT data charging large quantities of data to my account, while simulataneously logging only small bits of "free DTVNow sponsored data.?"  I thought that only the commercials might be charged against my data, but it almost seems like the reverse - 300MB free, 7.7GB deducted from my data.

Message 8 of 17
Tutor

Did not receive a direct response on this question from ATT (even in the help chat), but suggestions from ATT community members (elsewhere in the forum) and my own experimentation determined that the problem was that streaming on the DTVnow App using ATT data with Apple TV is not free.  Seems odd that streaming through other Apple devices (phone etc) is free, but not the A.T.V. that comes with DTVnow.  Too bad for those of us with capped ATT data.  Am now streaming DTVNow through an Android tablet to the TV.  This works.

Message 9 of 17
Guru

Not that odd - mobile data is free (sponsored) when using the official app on a mobile device on AT&T's network. Using non-mobile devices to access the data plan isn't covered.

Message 10 of 17
ACE - Expert

@prg916 wrote:

streaming on the DTVnow App using ATT data with Apple TV is not free.  

This was answered in the first response and again reiterated as the solution (AppleTV doesn't count) in posts 2 and 4.

Message 11 of 17
Tutor

Thank you for your response . To clarify if I use the DIRECTV now app on my phone and then airplay that to my Apple TV it won't count against my data ? And if I use my phone as a hot spot , connect the Apple TV too it and stream from the Apple to it does count against data ? So if you using Apple air play or google chrome cast it is data free ?

Thank you !
Message 12 of 17
Tutor

Hello ,

Leaning towards switching our business account to AT&T today due to the Directv data free stream . Please clarify for me ,

Can I use my tablet as a hot spot , connect my Apple TV to the tablet and then stream Dtv now using the dtv app on Apple TV data free ? Or if I open dtv app on my tablet which is on the att cell network and airplay or google chrome cast to my tv both connect to my home wifi network will I incur data charges ? Trying to determine how to watch dtv or my tv without using g data. I don't know if it's worth it if you can only view on phone or tablet . Keeping Verizon or switching within the next few hours . Thank you !
Message 13 of 17
Tutor

Or to ask another way ,

I have an iPhone , and iPad . How can I watch DTV NOW data free on my tv ?

Pressed for time , have to make this decision in a few hours so I really appreciate you. TU🙏
Message 14 of 17
ACE - Expert

@Gavin83 It should work on the iPad. It WILL NOT work as FREE data for TETHERING (HOTSPOT) the AppleTV. It will burn through your data...

Here's the details, the first item lists devices: https://help.directvnow.com/hc/en-us/articles/212914066-Will-AT-T-Wireless-subscribers-incur-data-us...

[I'd think the AppleTV pulls the stream from a different server that isn't zero rated or adds something to the request to know that it's not to be included (more likely the former).]

Some people say they've gotten it to work over AirPlay on the AppleTV, your iPhone or iPad needs to be near the TV and your WiFi needs to be turned off. Someone else has gotten it to work and I have too, but so many people seem to say it doesn't work that I need to try it again...

These are photos I took. The friend had a new router, so I'd never been on the WiFi before. (Not sure why they came out upside down) but you can see I'm on LTE plus the DATA FREE message and the game being mirrored. The app SPECIFICALLY says it's being NOW PLAYING ON AIRPLAY.

IMG_2805.JPGIMG_2810.JPG

Message 15 of 17
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements...
Learn all about the recent Changes to DIRECTV NOW Packages!
Additional Support