Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Refund for directTV now

Highlighted
Contributor

Refund for directTV now

I would just like to reclaim the amount of money I have paid for directTV now for the past months because I wasnt advised that I was going to be paying for it when I have never used it and don’t want to keep the program I would just like to work something out so I can get the money I paid back 

Message 1 of 30
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by Community Manager (Community Manager)
Accepted by ATTDmitriyCM
‎02-12-2019 1:10 PM

Re: Refund for directTV now

Not using the service is no excuse for not paying for a service that you subscribed to. Besides, as outlined in your terms and conditions, there are no refunds. The service is a pre-paid month to month no contract agreement. You should at least login ti your account and personally cancel or you will continue to be billed.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 30
Contributor

I was never informed that I was signed up for the program and no one from
any store ever mentioned it to me until I saw my bank statements I never
signed or agreed to have that charged to me nor have asked or been asked to
money back, I don’t even have papers or documents of any sort of me signing
up for it or agreeing to pay for it. furthermore I would like for you guys
to prove that I myself signed or agreed to this if not I would like to get
all the money I paid toward this.
Message 3 of 30
Professor

We're just other customers here. Follow the links below to contact support. If you don't have a login for chat, pick the password support option.

Message 4 of 30
ACE - Expert

The proof is your CC and email. Everything is online - no papers. As @lydian said, you will need to discuss anything related to your account with support. We have no access to subscriber info from this forum.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 30
Professor

Since you said you, "don't want to keep" the service, that implies that you did indeed agree at least to the free trial. You simply weren't aware or informed that you would be charged after the free trial in perpetuity. This seems to be standard procedure for AT&T reps and very unethical. Unfortunately, it's your responsibility to follow up with your own research to confirm you weren't lied to. I wish you luck.

Message 6 of 30
ACE - Master

While ATT should obviously spell out all the info clearly, I am a little surprised at all the people who don't understand "free trials", and think they just go away at the end or will prompt to see if you want to continue.  I have never encountered a trial that works that way - they always are opt-out at the end (part of the reason I almost never use one).  While I'm sure all of the companies offering trials would hope that you like the product or service enough that you would choose to sign up after the trial ends, they all depend on the fact that people are lazy (or forgetful) and will often stay out of inertia.

Message 7 of 30
Contributor

All in all I don’t care how trails work I am aware of that fact. My point
here is that I never signed up for a free trail or any sort of thing like
that therefore you people don’t have the authorization to charge my billing
account with it if I personally never agreed or signed anything to be
involved in any sort of trial and without my authorization you guys have no
right to be charging me for it I never gave any of my information out to
you guys so there’s another one of my concerns, you guys gathered my info
and such without my authorization and you guys decided to charge me
something that I have never even used. I was never once told about this
“trail” therefore I’m demanding for my money back because it isn’t just to
be doing those things without my authorization/permission
Message 8 of 30
ACE - Master

It isn't "us people" - we are just other customers, same as you - the forums aren't ATT reps.  You need to contact customer service for your account issues (for DirecTV Now, that is only by online chat - click on Chat live on this page).  And you must have given your info to someone - they can't just make up credit card info.  So if you didn't give it to them, someone else must have had access to your credit card info, and you may want to look into that.

Message 9 of 30
Mentor

It seems to me that this is a slamming issue, this customer is saying that they didn't know they were signed up and now dispute the validity of the charge. If OP is truly getting nowhere, a credit card dispute might focus the vendor's attention. I have found it to be a valuable tool and one every customer is entitled to.

The recurring assumption by the helpers here that ATT is always right is troubling. Since you're not employees, it puzzles me somewhat. 

Message 10 of 30
Professor

It seems to me that this is a slamming issue, this customer is saying that they didn't know they were signed up and now dispute the validity of the charge

DirecTV Now doesn't just randomly sign up customers. Someone had to at least give OP's card information to sign up for it. The fact that it's been charging for months and OP never noticed it makes me think he/she isn't too observant to begin with.

The recurring assumption by the helpers here that ATT is always right is troubling. Since you're not employees, it puzzles me somewhat. 

No one here has said AT&T is "always right." It's just that in this case, OP is wrong. Like @bcbsncjlj said, DirecTV Now is a prepaid service that goes month-to-month so whether you use it or not, there's no refunds.

Message 11 of 30
Scholar

While I can't be sure, since I'm not a AT&T cellphone customer, but from what I get from other posts like this over the months is that people get talked or scammed into a trial when they go to AT&T stores or whatever for their cellphone plans. I don't know if that's what happened in this case, but it has happened to others.The customer goes to the AT&T store and the employee fast talks them about the great watch TV everywhere offer and how there's nothing to lose since it's a free trial. Some unscrupulous employees may even add the free trial to the account since it's a free trial but not fully explain the part about canceling before the end of the 7 day trial. There have been people that posted here that they thought they were getting free TV with their cell phone plan and didn't realize they would be charged monthly and that it was only a free trial.

Message 12 of 30
Professor

WatchTV is free with the latest unlimited plans right now, so that's not a scam. There is no free trial or monthly fee.

I find it hard to believe that many salespeople can sign up for DirecTV Now without the customer knowing, because to sign up, you have to put in an email address, password, and credit card information. You also have to confirm the email address. If a salesperson can do all that without the customer knowing, the customer is just not paying attention at all.

And the salespeople don't get any type of bonus for signing people up to DirecTV Now, so why bother? Another clue this isn't happening is the fact DirecTV Now is losing subscribers at an alarming rate.

Message 13 of 30
Contributor

Omargarcia01..... id be upset to im in a similar boat!  but mine is in the way of not receiving my military discount (which after the all the math comes to roughly 500.00 -650.00) which was ON my bill , just not IN MY BILL! LOL and i've tried to get my money back, but that ain't happening! after i realized that it was on the bill i wonder why my bill still so high... so i keep digging around the billing section of the app to only find the dollar amount (which took forever) was 0.00!!!  i called right away & got it fixed (for the future)- no credit, no nice nice i didnt even get an apology. it all came down to the salesman the day i opened the account/lines.he didnt tick some box ,  so then because of that {edited for word filter evasion}, i then had to drive my dd2-14 down to the store to photo copy it. to make sure i did not photo copy it to alter it....? it's completely hopeless direct tv now doesn't even have a phone number... and direct tv will hang right up on you. i know because i tried. the best you can hope for is YOU physically cancelling it, calling at&t customer service....AND BE VERY NICE, and i do mean nice. you might get somewhere, furthermore ive learned how the customer service tiers work ,standard wise, and then when there just plain busy. keep calling until you get some one state side...that's not a joke either. your bill and amount determines who picks up that call! that being said when i got mine i did want direct now!!! AND WOW what a diff. over direct tv (with the box's) NO MORE equipment fee's..lolol . no seriously i got a good deal then and now i cant change my plan but, i get the 2nd tier of channels plus hbo for all for 10 bucks a month. with all that i literally can watch MY tv/dvr any where in the world, anytime, on anything . my bill is around 280. plus the 10. but i was paying 138.00 for cable internet 150.ish for sat. then came the cell phone bill... im saving hundreds literally... im only saying check that FINE print weigh some options, check your other costs.... but fighting with them over at Dtv or Dtv now (which is all at&t) is impossible... truly. you'd have better luck knocking yourself out with a brick, it would honestly be more satisfying! good luck in your fight! 

Message 14 of 30
Scholar

I'm not saying that this is what happened in this case, but we have had people post here where the sales associate at an AT&T store did in fact talk the customer into the free trial of DirecTV Now . The people that posted said they made is sound better than it was, that they could get a free Roku device or Apple TV, etc. Then those people started getting bills and came here wanting to know how they could return their free Roku and get a refund. You have to give a credit card and email address combination to sign up and the stores are where at least some of that was happening. There were a few different people that posted similar stories here. I'm not saying that it was wide spread and happened to tons of people, I don't know how many, but going by the ones that posted here for help, it has happened. I also don't know whether or not sales reps got anything extra for signing people up.

Unfortunately, and I want to stress that I'm not talking about anyone in this thread, there are folks that just have no understanding of streaming, what they are signing up for, etc, There have been people that posted here that they they didn't know they needed internet service to use their Roku and DirecTV Now, or people that posted that since they got their free apple TV, they could watch DirecTV Now without paying the monthly fee, etc

Message 15 of 30
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements...
Learn all about the recent Changes to DIRECTV NOW Packages!
Additional Support