Explore & discover

Helpful Links

I'm trying to resolve a billing issue. Where is the Live Chat link?

Announcements...
Learn all about the recent Changes to DIRECTV NOW Packages!
Contributor

I'm trying to resolve a billing issue. Where is the Live Chat link?

I was chatting with someone from customer service, I guess we got disconnected can't find the link to chat now?  I was given incorrect information and I want to get this resolved before I just cancel this ridiculous service that is one problem after another month after month.  

Message 1 of 19
Tutor

Re: I'm trying to resolve a billing issue. Where is the Live Chat link?

That's interesting because if you get to a similar page to the one in the link through a different route, there's no conventional button for chat. I wish AT&T would first stop trying to be cute with fancy HTML5 controls and just make links and information more readily available. Second, if the want to provide web only support, design it so it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out. By the way, my degree is in computer science and it took me over three hours of clicking around to finally get chat working. I relate this experience hoping that someone at AT&T might just notice this post.

Message 16 of 19
Professor

One thing I haven't seen mentioned much is disabling ad blockers. I just did a clean install of Windows 7 and Chrome on an old laptop and installed an ad blocker as I always do. All other settings in the OS and browser were default. Chat button would NOT appear. Then I disabled my ad blocker for just the AT&T domain, and the Chat button appeared.

But I agree 110% that they need to make chat a simple HTML link that's never hidden due to some setting, blocker or cookie issue. The majority of posts here are due to the freakin' hidden chat button.

Message 17 of 19
ACE - Master

While it is unlikely (verging on impossible) that someone relevant to this from ATT will see your comment, the situation/problem/suggestion (that they replace the live button with a simple link) has been communicated through "back channels" and the last I heard (which unfortunately was quite a few months ago at this point) was that they were "considering" the issue.  I know that they use the Chat live (formerly Chat available) to indicate that a chat rep is actually available, and if none are, it will either offer nothing or a pop up that chat isn't available.  They seem to do this to avoid a rejection or a queueing mechanism "inside" the chat.  But they actually have that anyway, so all this mechanism seems to really accomplish is to tick off customers who can't get it to work.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 18 of 19
ACE - Master

It may be a defense measure. It would be easy to smurf a simple link and swamp them.

Or they may want more info on who is connecting to them.

They must know making it a simple link would make it easier for folks to find it and use it, so it must benefit them in some way to do it the way they do. Perhaps it's as you suggest, they don't want to have to queue things on their end.

But if you have to queue you don't have enough agents. :-)

The best thing they could do right now would be a fuller explanation of what can block the icon, perhaps as a "sticky" (I know they have been suggested but apparently the system doesn't do that). The mention of ad blockers on the support page doesn't indicate the many other things that can do it. It's a start but doesn't go far enough.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 19 of 19
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support