Explore & discover

Helpful Links

I am billed monthly for DirectTV Now that I did not authorize

Announcements...
Learn all about the recent Changes to DIRECTV NOW Packages!

I am billed monthly for DirectTV Now that I did not authorize

I agreed to a 7 day trial period. I was told when I gave my credit card into (customer service guy at Direct TV insisted I give my card info or I could not use the trial period) that nothing would be charged to my account unless and until I "authorized" the NOW program.  I never authorized it. In fact I've never used it or even read anything about how to start using it.  I called Direct TV Customer Service/Billing to cancel the whole thing, within days of getting an email from Direct TV Now. I told her I did not want to be charged anything because I don't want the program at al.  She said only, "OK" and I thought it was taken care of.  Since then I am billed monthly (June-Sept) for $10.75 for Direct TV Now.  When I noticed it was still on my July or August Visa statement, I called in and said again that I am being billed by mistake; that I already cancelled that program which, indeed, I have never authorized or  used.  She told me she has no way to contact DirectTV Now.  I asked how is it your department could try to "sell" me a program, but be unable to contact them?  She only repeated herself. In August I contacted my Visa account and said to stop accepting charges from DirectTV Now.  I filed an official complaint to my Visa company.  So far, I am still being billed the $10.75/month for absolutely nothing.  Today, for the 3rd time, I tried to find a way to contact Direct TV NOW but there is none except for on their website.  But I am afraid to sign in to an account I don't have and/or have never used.  HELP ME!!!!

Message 1 of 20
ACE - Expert

Re: I am billed monthly for DirectTV Now that I did not authorize

You need to just contact support using the chat and discuss with a rep. We can do nothing here from this forum since it is only a user based community forum. Select "Contact Us" at the bottom of this page - then select "DirecTV NOW" - select "Chat" in middle of screen or a bubble may appear at the bottom of page on the right side.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 20
Professor

When you "agreed" to the trial, you also agreed to start paying on day 8 and every month after that. Never trust the word of DirecTV customer service.

Message 3 of 20

I can't cancel (DirectTV Now) a service that I never authorized, never used, and can't sign in as a member when I am not a member/subscriber - yet despite repeated calls to cancel, I continue to be billed.

Message 4 of 20
ACE - Expert

Your not calling DirecTV Now because they do not have any phone support - only the chat. You can contact DirecTV Now by using the chat. You don't have to login in to use the chat. Select "Contact Us" at the bottom of this page - then select "DirecTV NOW" - select "Chat" in middle of screen or a bubble may appear at the bottom of page on the right side. Select the "sign-in and password" support option.the it will allow you to "continue to chat".

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 20

This must have happened, but I asked several times if I would be billed if I never start it. I was told "No, you will NOT be billed unless and until you go to the website and authorize it!  I did NOTHING in the way of "authorizing" since I never even looked at their site.  I was asked to set up an ID so I could get on the site (where I thought I could go to be sure it was cancelled).  Was  doing THAT interpreted as authorizing?  That is NOT what he told me would happen.  He also told me that my trial period would not start UNTIL I authorized starting the program.  

What a TERRIBLE company - that would give a FALSE explanation in order to trick me into beginning a program without my knowledge!!!!!!!!  What a TERRIBLE company that would falsely inform customers that we "can cancel anytime", when it is impossible to cancel by phone, mail, or online.  It was set up to AUTOMATICALLY enroll me for trying to go to their website to cancel.  This MUST be reported to the State Attorney General and the BBB.  They made it IMPOSSIBLE to get them to stop charging my credit card by any means!  Livid!!!!!!

Message 6 of 20
ACE - Master
Solution
Accepted by Community Manager (Community Manager)
Accepted by ATTDmitriyCM
‎10-12-2018 1:14 PM

You "enrolled" when you signed up for the 7 day free trial and gave them a credit card.  That started the service.  Why did you think they required a credit card at that time otherwise?  And I've never heard of a trial where you signed up, but it doesn't really "count" until you say "yes" later - it is always live unless (and until) you say "no".  And regardless, you are agreeing to the Terms and Conditions - it is up to you to check these things if you are giving people money (or the ability to charge you).  

You certainly can cancel at any time - go online to your account, or if necessary, contact a Support rep online.  

Tags (1)
Message 7 of 20

I want someone to listen to the audiotape of my original phone call.  The billing guy (who was taking care of stopping a incorrect monthly charge of $1.32 for 4 months AFTER I'd ended my contract with my Direct TV Satellite service way back in Feb or March) kept pressuring me to try out this new NOW internet program. I told him I didn't want it. He kept on pushing.  I TOLD HIM THAT I DID NOT WANT TO start the trial program if I couldn't cancel it.  He said you can cancel anytime.  I asked when the trial program would start.  He told me it WOULD NOT BEGIN UNTIL I AUTHORIZED IT via an email they would send me.  He asked for my Visa card. I asked why he needed it if it is only a trial period.  He assured me that they only needed it on file for after the trial period and insisted that I would not begin the trial period until I authorized it online. I asked several times and he repeatedly assured me that the trial period wouldn't even start unless and until I did something online to "AUTHORIZE" beginning the program.  I DID NO SUCH THING.  

SO THE REASON I gave my card number is because the man LIED TO ME!!!!!! I did NOT authorize it.  In fact I called in to Direct TV (the number of the person who sold me on the trial NOW program).   I had no reason to know that I was not speaking to someone with authority to cancel NOW, since the only number I have is the one I learned about NOW in the first place!!!  So when I called to confirm that I wanted to cancel NOW before I got charged, the woman said, "OK" I was led to believe that it was taken care of.  Since I never opened all the emails from Direct TV NOW, and had not done anything to "authorize" I felt the cancellation had been successful.  She did NOT INFORM ME at that early date that SHE WAS UNABLE to do anything with my desire to have it canceled!  In fact she said "OK" when I'd said I want to confirm that I have not yet and do NOT INTEND TO USE THE PROGRAM SO I WANT TO BE SURE IT WOULD NOT START CHARGING ME.  By omission, she let me believe it was indeed canceled.  

I went for months not realizing that the NOW program had begun.  I called to complain that I had not authorized it starting AND I complained that I'd called in to be sure it was canceled way back at the beginning!

THAT is when I learned that I can ONLY cancel by logging in.  I've been trying to do so, but I can't get in.  

So DO NOT be snide about how could I have not realized I'd be charged!  I was outright lied to right from the first sales pitch.  Please send me a copy of that audiotape and take a listen yourself!  It's all on there. He lied to me about how the deal worked.  You'll hear my many protestations and his hard selling lies to get me to give my credit card number, assuring me nothing would happen unless and until I "authorized it to begin online".

I dare someone to listen to that tape! I am not stupid.  I AM a senior citizen.  I makes me wonder now, if he told  me those lies because he thought I would not realize what what really happening.  I do.  I was lied to. Plain and simple.  He got his "sale" and I'm on the hook.  I want my account closed and my money returned.

Message 8 of 20
ACE - Expert

We are just users in this user based forum and your recording would pointless to any of us. We cant do anything about your situation other then offering advise. Suggest you provide it to support using the chat. Select "Contact Us" at the bottom of this page - then select "DirecTV NOW" - select "Chat" in middle of screen or a bubble may appear at the bottom of page on the right side.

Message 9 of 20
ACE - Professor

@87MaryEloise: You should have made “transaction dispute” with your credit card company, exactly four months ago after you got first charge. 

Hardcore Pittsburgh Steelers Fan
Message 10 of 20

I did in August when I discovered I was being billed. It’s being looked at.
Message 11 of 20
Contributor

I don't know what to do -- I have canceled my account and am still getting billed   -- HELP

I don't understand how to talk to someone to get this done

Message 12 of 20
ACE - Expert

You need to contact support. Nothing is going to happen if you don't. That is the support for this service. We are only users here - no support. We can not do anything but provide guidance. Select "Contact Us" at the bottom of this page - then select "DirecTV NOW" - select "Chat" in middle of screen or a bubble may appear at the bottom of page on the right side.

Message 13 of 20

Thanks to all who tried to help me out with suggestions. I was NOT able to get logged on to the NOW site after hours of trying over several days.
I finally went to AT&T (owns Direct TV) office in town and explained. They quickly got onto the site and cancelled the service for me.
They heard me out, then offered to give me a discounted rate ($46/month) on Direct TV service or a free phone if I switched my phone to AT&T!
It was NOT what I wanted, so they did give me the number to call at ATT corporate complaints/customer retention program.
There, I got a real person who listened, wrote up a report of my issues with that initial agent and was told it will be sent to both the CS manager and to the agent's manager. We’ll see what happens. Thanks again.
Message 14 of 20
Contributor

A similar thing happened to me.  The guy at the AT&T store on Wall Street in Manhattan, NY basically insised I take the DIrectTV box how with me and said I wouldn't be charged unless I wanted to continue with it.  I just realized I've been charged $65/month for three months!  And my AT&T account does not even show that I have a DirectTV account!  This is an extremely shady business practice.  I will be going more public with this.

Message 15 of 20
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support