Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Does DIRECTV NOW streaming count against my AT&T unlimited usage account?

Teacher

Does DIRECTV NOW streaming count against my AT&T unlimited usage account?

I was told that streaming Directtv Now would not count against my data plan. I had just recently "upgraded" my plan from a 8gb roll over to the 22gb "unlimited". On my 8gb plan I always rolled over 2-4gb each month, now I received a text message stating I have used 16gb, I still have 2 weeks left before my plan renews. I have not used my phone anymore than previously. I have wifi cable internet at home, so I rarely use data for streaming purposes outside of my home. So receiving the text yesterday only makes me think that the streaming is counting against my data plan. 

Thanks

Message 1 of 9
ACE - Master

Re: Does DIRECTV NOW streaming count against my AT&T unlimited usage account?

If you have a normal ATT consumer wireless plan and you use DirecTV Now on a mobile device (iOS or Android phone or tablet), then your data for the streaming video should indeed be sponsored (not count against your plan, though it is tracked).  Any other usage (for example, using your phone as a hotspot for watching on a computer or TV streaming device) is not sponsored.  From your description, it doesn't sound like you are doing the latter, so there may be an issue.  It is possible that the warning was triggered by overall usage (including sponsored), but in any case I would contact Customer Service - specifically, I would talk to the wireless CS first to see what they have to say about it.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 9
Teacher

I had done some more digging after making this post. You are correct on the sponsored content. I'm on a pre-pay account. The problem I guess is the pre-pay account I switched to does not support sponsored content. Per this article https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KM1248135?isreauth=true there is sponsored data on those "lower" tiered plans.I asked 2 different sales associates if using directtv now would go against my data, they both said no. This was on 2 different trips to the at&t store. I was never told that the plan I was switching to did not have sponsored data. 

Message 3 of 9
ACE - Master

I looked at what you linked to and it is odd that they have that distinction - because (given the 22GB "firewall") it still might matter, even if the data is theoretically unlimited.  That is apparently something Wireless does, not DTVN - I don't think the latter cares.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 9
Teacher

I guess the problem boils down to the store employees (3 of them now) were not informed on how directtv now works with the prepay accounts. This also includes customers service over the phone. She was insisting directtv now does not work with the prepay services. It's nice to know the support staff is fully informed of the services they are providing. If I would've know this at the beginning I wouldn't have signed up for the $85 plan, the $50 dollar plan (includes sponsored data, ie directtv now will not count against my data usage) fits me anyways. I'll be switching by the 8th as this is the date my plan renews. 

Message 5 of 9
ACE - Master

I have learned that the only thing about DTVN that the store employees seem to be informed about is how much they get if they sign someone up. Very few store employees actually have or use DTVN, because they get full DirecTV satellite service for free.

Message 6 of 9
ACE - Expert

Well stated and true. No moral standards anymore out there.

Message 7 of 9
ACE - Master

I don't think it has anything directly to do with DirecTV Now - that page is an ATT Wireless help page, and it applies to any sponsored data, not just DTVN data.  Since the higher plans are "unlimited", it normally wouldn't matter - you'd never run out - and the speed throttling rarely happens (perhaps unless you are in a very congested area).  They don't say if throttling ever occurs on the "fixed" plans.  And DTVN didn't initially offer sponsored data on prepaid plans - that is something that was added much more recently, so it is possible that reps who don't often deal with DTVN wouldn't be aware of the change.  (They should be, but I think the training they get is pretty limited, and most don't seem to take the initiative to learn much on their own...)

Message 8 of 9
Teacher

I agree with your assessment. But this change was made back in February to have sponsored data on prepay plans. The fact one 6 months later that knowledge hasn't been passed around. The gentleman I was speaking with at the store yesterday was unaware of this too. I had to show him the articles and what plans did have sponsored data on them. Ironically you would think the more expensive plans would have sponsored data. But then theoretically if you have an unlimited plan you wouldn't need the sponsored data. 

Message 9 of 9
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support