Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Does DIRECTV NOW streaming count against my AT&T unlimited usage account?

Highlighted
Contributor

Message 1 of 4
ACE - Master
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by golfmax13
‎07-08-2018 2:48 PM

Re: Does DIRECTV NOW streaming count against my AT&T unlimited usage account?

If you watch on a mobile device (phone or tablet) using the DirecTV Now app, then the data on an ATT consumer mobile plan is sponsored ("free").  If you watch on any other device (for example, using a mobile device as a hot spot) then the data is not sponsored.  This includes if you cast or AirPlay from the app on a mobile device to a TV streaming device (Chromecast or ATV or other).

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 4
Contributor

Where in the terms of DirectvNow does it say that personal hotspot data is not sponsored? It seems to not be sponsored like you said, but where exactly does it say that? I feel that I’ve been misled into believing that it would be sponsored, as I do not see this information anywhere in the terms.

Message 3 of 4
ACE - Master

Sorry - didn't see this earlier.  The issue isn't the use of a hotspot - that is fine.  The issue is the device that is using the mobile data.  If the device that is using the mobile data to run (view) the DirecTV Now app is a mobile device (phone or tablet), then the data is sponsored, whether it is received directly or via a hotspot.  (I have on numerous occasions used an iPad with the DirecTV Now app, getting data from an iPhone provided hotspot, and the data was sponsored.)  If the device running (viewing) the DirecTV Now app is anything else (TV streamer, computer, anything else if there is anything else), then the data isn't sponsored, regardless of how it gets the data.  This is called out (as usual for DirecTV Now, with somewhat confusing phrasing) in DirecTV Now's sponsored data FAQ (here).  Note the (very) fine print calling for use of a "compatible device" and the list of such devices.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 4
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support