Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Actual data usage without monthly plan

Contributor

Actual data usage without monthly plan

I am moving from Florida into a tiny off grid home in Tennessee. The only cell service available in our community is at&t. I got 2 phones both on prepaid to try while in tennessee for 6 weeks. I also got Roku and direct TV to try while up there. The equipment worked fairly well.long time downloading ... now I've returned to Florida to move my family .my issue is this... I was told at at&t show room in stpetersburg Florida that all data used for direct TV , even though it was prepaid ,would not deduct from my regular data usage which as we all know then slows down speed. Then when I went back to different at&t store to shut down 1 phone for move to tennessee. Your representative told me that the free data for direct TV, with out the slow down in speed, was only on phones with a contract. Please let me know which is true. Ty .I kept the other phone line and stopped the direct TV. As it seems now we will be in Bradenton Florida area a few more bits weeks in our motor home. We would like to know about data issue so we can plan as we won't get direct TV for another month if it will slow down our speed as we need it for our maps when we leave for tennessee end of the month ty Jesse n Julie [edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

Message 1 of 4
ACE - Expert

Re: Actual data usage without monthly plan

The free data only applies to use o n your phnone. Info can be obtained by the article to the right of this page under 'Announcements'.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 4
Contributor

Why do all my movie options say subscribe? I paid by in advance cash for
service through tomorrow and was cut off weeks ago. Can u fix this issue ?
Message 3 of 4
ACE - Master
Solution
Accepted by (Former Employee)
Accepted by beckyww
‎05-11-2018 12:50 PM

First - not "our" representative.  The forums are composed of other customers, not ATT support people, so you likely can't get account help or authoritative info about unusual cases.  Second - are you asking about DirecTV (satellite service) or DirecTV Now (streaming service)?  This particular forum is for DirecTV Now (and from the description, I assume that is what you mean even though your are saying DirecTV).

ATT does have sponsored mobile data for the various video services under at least some mobile plans.  It had originally been provided only for postpaid plans - they have recently added prepaid plans for at least DirecTV Now, and perhaps the other video services - I don't know for sure.  It has nothing to do with contracts.  However, it is not  offered for all uses.  For DirecTV Now (which is the only service I am generally knowledgeable about), as mentioned above, the sponsored data only applies when the DirecTV Now app is run on a mobile device.  So if you are watching on a phone that is using mobile data, or on a tablet that is using mobile data or is connected to a phone (or maybe dedicated) hotspot that is using mobile data, you will be using sponsored data.  It is specifically not sponsored if you view on a TV streaming device (like a Roku) or on a computer.  The details are spelled out here.  A problem when asking these sorts of questions of reps at ATT stores (who mostly deal with wireless) is that unless you make very clear how you plan to use it (and maybe even then) they tend to assume you are running services and apps on phones, so they will tend to answer questions based on that assumption.  (That is, if you ask if DTVN usage is sponsored, they will generally assume that you mean to run DTVN on a phone, and will answer "yes" - they probably won't consider the case of running on a Roku unless you explicitly tell them that is your plan.  Even if you do, they may not be aware of the difference.)

As far as "slowing your speed" - there are 2 issues there.  One is the soft cap on ATT Unlimited Plus plans (at 22GB), when they might slow the connection - sponsored data doesn't count against the soft cap.  But as noted, not all DTVN video traffic is sponsored - it depends on the target device - and non-sponsored data certainly will count against the soft cap.  The other issue is that DTVN, like any video service, uses a lot of data.  Depending on how good the cell service your device is connected to is (and how good the connection is), you may encounter slowdowns due to multiple competing data users if the connection speed isn't high to begin with.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 4 of 4
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
Learn all about the recent Changes to DIRECTV NOW Packages!
Additional Support