Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Aug 30, 2013
12:38:49 PM
Getting Directv to support the Roku

I recently purchased a Roku and I love it. I'm not that happy that HBOGO isn't supported by Directv. They're too big of a TV provider to not support it.

I'm starting this post go get people to support the idea of Directv getting with Roku and support apps for Roku that are denied to us because Directv isn't part of the authorized providers list. If HBO is part of you're subscription and you have a Roku comment support on this. Even if you don't and you like the idea, comment you're support.

I recently purchased a Roku and I love it. I'm not that happy that HBOGO isn't supported by Directv. They're too big of a TV provider to not support it.

I'm starting this post go get people to support the idea of Directv getting with Roku and support apps for Roku that are denied to us because Directv isn't part of the authorized providers list. If HBO is part of you're subscription and you have a Roku comment support on this. Even if you don't and you like the idea, comment you're support.

Getting Directv to support the Roku

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 30, 2013 12:50:29 PM
(0)
Expert

I'm sure you must realize that you are misstating the situation.  Directv absolutely supports HBOGo.  It's the Roku device that Directv does not support.

I'm sure you must realize that you are misstating the situation.  Directv absolutely supports HBOGo.  It's the Roku device that Directv does not support.

Re: Getting Directv to support the Roku

2 of 10 (337 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 30, 2013 12:54:00 PM
(0)
Tutor

I know Directv supports HBOGo, and that its the Roku that Directv does not support. I thought I made it clear that its to get Directv to support apps for Roku as I have stated in the first sentence of the third paragraph.

I know Directv supports HBOGo, and that its the Roku that Directv does not support. I thought I made it clear that its to get Directv to support apps for Roku as I have stated in the first sentence of the third paragraph.

3 of 10 (337 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 30, 2013 1:01:24 PM
(0)
Expert

Roku is primarily a Netflix playback device and as such is a competitor of Directv, thus the alliance you seek between Roku and Directv is not likely to happen.

Roku is primarily a Netflix playback device and as such is a competitor of Directv, thus the alliance you seek between Roku and Directv is not likely to happen.

4 of 10 (337 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 30, 2013 1:08:09 PM
(0)
Tutor

You are right in saying so. And looking at it from that standpoint its easy to see why Directv doesn't support the Roku. However, Apple TV is supported by Directv even though it wasn't at first. Directv started supporting it after they saw how many customers were upset about it (or so the article I read said). Apple TV has Netflix as well as its own library of movies for people to purchase. I just want something similar for the Roku.

DirecTV Authenticates HBO GO on Apple TV | Cable Television News | Broadcast Syndication | Programmi...

You are right in saying so. And looking at it from that standpoint its easy to see why Directv doesn't support the Roku. However, Apple TV is supported by Directv even though it wasn't at first. Directv started supporting it after they saw how many customers were upset about it (or so the article I read said). Apple TV has Netflix as well as its own library of movies for people to purchase. I just want something similar for the Roku.

DirecTV Authenticates HBO GO on Apple TV | Cable Television News | Broadcast Syndication | Programming | Multichannel.co…

5 of 10 (337 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 30, 2013 1:59:18 PM
(0)
Scholar

I've had a Roku box for years and was seriously annoyed that I couldn't use it to view HBOGo content until I realized that virtually everything available through HBOGo is also available through HBO's video-on-demand service (DTV channel 1501).   Would I prefer to use my Roku box to watch HBO programs?  Yes, but as dcd pointed out, I don't see DirecTV caving on this anytime soon.    

I've had a Roku box for years and was seriously annoyed that I couldn't use it to view HBOGo content until I realized that virtually everything available through HBOGo is also available through HBO's video-on-demand service (DTV channel 1501).   Would I prefer to use my Roku box to watch HBO programs?  Yes, but as dcd pointed out, I don't see DirecTV caving on this anytime soon.    

6 of 10 (337 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2014 6:58:47 PM
(0)
Contributor

All the more reason to switch to Dish! I have had DirecTv for over 10 years and have loved it from the start! However I am willing to switch to a more flexible provider! Its a bummer that a lot and most of the big providers support this! Too bad DirecTv wont. They may have lost a customer! Smiley Sad

All the more reason to switch to Dish! I have had DirecTv for over 10 years and have loved it from the start! However I am willing to switch to a more flexible provider! Its a bummer that a lot and most of the big providers support this! Too bad DirecTv wont. They may have lost a customer! Smiley Sad

7 of 10 (337 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2014 7:34:35 PM
(0)
Employee

perhaps you missed the boat, DirecTV already supports all the "GO" channels in the RoKU

perhaps you missed the boat, DirecTV already supports all the "GO" channels in the RoKU

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

8 of 10 (337 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2014 8:10:18 PM
(0)
Contributor

Actually I didn't. Those are the only things it supports. FoxNow, DisneyJr, and a few others are not supported.

Actually I didn't. Those are the only things it supports. FoxNow, DisneyJr, and a few others are not supported.

9 of 10 (337 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2014 8:43:43 PM
(0)
Employee

But this thread is about HBOGo

But this thread is about HBOGo

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

10 of 10 (337 Views)