Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Community

Posted Mar 2, 2014
8:10:35 AM
Directv Everywhere Except In Home (wifi channels)

My Directv Everywhere live streaming of wifi channels (in home) does not work.

My receiver HR 24-500 is connected to the internet, as are the other 3 which are all H25-100.  I am able to see and control them using both my iPad and iPhone. They are all "green lights".   I am also able to stream wifi+ channels inside and outside of my home.  Wifi channels are unable to stream and the "Watch on iPad/iPhone" buttons are grayed out.  I am also unable to stream wifi channels on my computer using any browser - Safari, Firefox or Google Chrome.  I keep receiving the message that the receiver and my device must be on the same network which they clearly are.

I, like many others, have spent hours trying to get some satisfaction for this problem.  I have called and emailed many times and have not received any help.  Is this a known issue?  Some CSRs indicate that it is, but others tell me they have never heard of such a thing.

Can anyone please help?

Thank you.

Polly

My Directv Everywhere live streaming of wifi channels (in home) does not work.

My receiver HR 24-500 is connected to the internet, as are the other 3 which are all H25-100.  I am able to see and control them using both my iPad and iPhone. They are all "green lights".   I am also able to stream wifi+ channels inside and outside of my home.  Wifi channels are unable to stream and the "Watch on iPad/iPhone" buttons are grayed out.  I am also unable to stream wifi channels on my computer using any browser - Safari, Firefox or Google Chrome.  I keep receiving the message that the receiver and my device must be on the same network which they clearly are.

I, like many others, have spent hours trying to get some satisfaction for this problem.  I have called and emailed many times and have not received any help.  Is this a known issue?  Some CSRs indicate that it is, but others tell me they have never heard of such a thing.

Can anyone please help?

Thank you.

Polly

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Mar 8, 2014 3:54:29 PM
(0)
Mentor

Smiley Happy Good news!  I think my problem is solved.  To recap, my iPads and iPhones could see and control my receiver, but were unable to stream live at home WIFI programs because "they were not in the same network as the receiver."   My issue turned out to be a naming problem with some of our network pieces.  Here are the specifics for those that want them:

My WIFI network consists of the main router (Apple Airport Extreme Base Station) and three Apple Airport Expresses that extend the network throughout our home.  The name of our network is alphanumeric with no special characters.  The AEBS router has the same name as the network (alphanumeric).  The AE names were all unique (express 1, express 2 and express 3).  As I searched the Apple forums for conflicts with Directv, I noticed that the naming issue for the network was mentioned again and again.  The network name must be alphanumeric only, which ours was.  It then dawned on me that even though our network name met the naming convention, some of our hardware pieces (the AEs) did not although they merely extended the correctly named network.  I removed the spaces in the names of the Airport Expresses, uninstalled the apps, performed hard resets on my devices and reinstalled the apps.  Success on all platforms!

dtvbob, take a look at every named piece in your network. Our problems were so similar.  I hope you might find some odd character that is not alphanumeric thrown into your mix.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help.  This was such a weird fix for a very frustrating problem.

Accepted Solution

Directv Everywhere Except In Home (wifi channels)

43 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(43)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 2, 2014 8:38:54 AM
(0)
Expert

I cannot tell you exactly what your problem is but basically I'd say the system does not see your playback devices are recognizing that they are on the same network as your Directv DVR.  Here is why I say that.  In a properly configured and running system, if you are "at home" and select the Wi-Fix the system will tell you that you are on the same network as your DVR and you should use the Wi-Fi option.  The fact that you can use the x option tells us that the playback device is not seeing your home network.  Something really obvious but are you positive you have the Wi-Fi enabled and 4G disabled?

Have you a desktop computer?  If so, open the Directv website and be sure you have the player installed.  Then select watch TV and open the Guide.  In the upper right corner is a Stream at Home/Stream Everywhere.  If you are at home if you select everywhere you'll see the message I described earlier.  Playing with that feature a bit may assist you in correcting your mobile device problems.

I cannot tell you exactly what your problem is but basically I'd say the system does not see your playback devices are recognizing that they are on the same network as your Directv DVR.  Here is why I say that.  In a properly configured and running system, if you are "at home" and select the Wi-Fix the system will tell you that you are on the same network as your DVR and you should use the Wi-Fi option.  The fact that you can use the x option tells us that the playback device is not seeing your home network.  Something really obvious but are you positive you have the Wi-Fi enabled and 4G disabled?

Have you a desktop computer?  If so, open the Directv website and be sure you have the player installed.  Then select watch TV and open the Guide.  In the upper right corner is a Stream at Home/Stream Everywhere.  If you are at home if you select everywhere you'll see the message I described earlier.  Playing with that feature a bit may assist you in correcting your mobile device problems.

Re: Directv Everywhere Except In Home (wifi channels)

2 of 44 (71 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 2, 2014 9:16:35 AM
(0)
Mentor

You are absolutely correct.  That is my problem I am trying to describe.  DTV does not recognize the home network even though it is connected to it..  My computer will not stream the wifi channels either, no matter what browser I use. 

I am positive that everything is connected by wifi to my home network.  We only have one network in our home.  Both the iPad and iPhone show that I am "in home" and that the receivers are on the home network. 

Again, no device will stream wifi channels including 3 iPads, 2 iPhones, 2 desktop computers and 1 laptop.  Arrgghhh!

I will try any suggestions.

Thanks.

You are absolutely correct.  That is my problem I am trying to describe.  DTV does not recognize the home network even though it is connected to it..  My computer will not stream the wifi channels either, no matter what browser I use. 

I am positive that everything is connected by wifi to my home network.  We only have one network in our home.  Both the iPad and iPhone show that I am "in home" and that the receivers are on the home network. 

Again, no device will stream wifi channels including 3 iPads, 2 iPhones, 2 desktop computers and 1 laptop.  Arrgghhh!

I will try any suggestions.

Thanks.

3 of 44 (71 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 2, 2014 10:38:39 AM
(0)
Tutor

Same problem here as I mentioned in another thread.

If your systems work over your wifi network with the wifi+ channels then there is nothing wrong with your network setup.

Waiting for a solution for over 3 months!

dtvbob

Same problem here as I mentioned in another thread.

If your systems work over your wifi network with the wifi+ channels then there is nothing wrong with your network setup.

Waiting for a solution for over 3 months!

dtvbob

4 of 44 (71 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 2, 2014 12:27:07 PM
(0)
Tutor

One more VERY important detail to all of this at least for me.

This Directv app on my phone DID stream wifi channels last summer.  It was about Oct-Nov when dtv updated their app that is then stopped streaming those channels.

This tells me that there is something that changed in the app that now does not allow me to stream those same channels that did last summer.

No changes to the network.

So, I am still pointing the finger at dtv to solve this issue.

I requested they send me a version from August to see if it would work, but "oh no..can't do that".  Why?

What better way to find out at which ver. upgrade it stopped working so it could be isolated to see what they did.

dtvbob

One more VERY important detail to all of this at least for me.

This Directv app on my phone DID stream wifi channels last summer.  It was about Oct-Nov when dtv updated their app that is then stopped streaming those channels.

This tells me that there is something that changed in the app that now does not allow me to stream those same channels that did last summer.

No changes to the network.

So, I am still pointing the finger at dtv to solve this issue.

I requested they send me a version from August to see if it would work, but "oh no..can't do that".  Why?

What better way to find out at which ver. upgrade it stopped working so it could be isolated to see what they did.

dtvbob

5 of 44 (71 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 2, 2014 2:56:07 PM
(0)
Mentor

I think that we obviously have the same problem.  I have been struggling with it for several months as well. 

The DTV apps used to stream the wifi channels as did my computer and my laptop.  They have all stopped streaming those channels.  No changes have been made to the network.

Netflix, Amazon Instant and Hulu Plus all stream very well.  I wish we had an unupdated version of the app to try. 

I guess that we can either choose to wait for a response or to change providers.  I will keep watching your thread!

I think that we obviously have the same problem.  I have been struggling with it for several months as well. 

The DTV apps used to stream the wifi channels as did my computer and my laptop.  They have all stopped streaming those channels.  No changes have been made to the network.

Netflix, Amazon Instant and Hulu Plus all stream very well.  I wish we had an unupdated version of the app to try. 

I guess that we can either choose to wait for a response or to change providers.  I will keep watching your thread!

6 of 44 (71 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 4, 2014 11:27:00 AM
(0)
Contributor

No resolution Here but thought I'd comment. I also have the same problem : (iPhone 4S: iOS 7 ) DirecTv App connected to same network DVR is connected.

Troubleshooting I've done:

Deleted App, reset DVR, Reset iPhone, installed App, turned off cellular data, logged out and in of Directv App,

open Safari navigate to a website then try App again,toggle airplane mode on and off,  toggled between wifi networks in my home.

I've tried this in every and any combination and it works maybe 10% of the time.

I really wished the feature worked. I know it sees the DVR because usually the iPhone live streaming option is grey (says it has to be connects to same wifi) but the

watch on TV option is always available.

I'm following your thread so if I hear anything I'll post.

No resolution Here but thought I'd comment. I also have the same problem : (iPhone 4S: iOS 7 ) DirecTv App connected to same network DVR is connected.

Troubleshooting I've done:

Deleted App, reset DVR, Reset iPhone, installed App, turned off cellular data, logged out and in of Directv App,

open Safari navigate to a website then try App again,toggle airplane mode on and off,  toggled between wifi networks in my home.

I've tried this in every and any combination and it works maybe 10% of the time.

I really wished the feature worked. I know it sees the DVR because usually the iPhone live streaming option is grey (says it has to be connects to same wifi) but the

watch on TV option is always available.

I'm following your thread so if I hear anything I'll post.

7 of 44 (71 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 4, 2014 12:45:22 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have absolutely no idea if this is relevant to your problem, but do you have your DVR hardwired to your network as well as connecting wirelessly? I had a similar problem with a different device and disconnecting the hard wired connection seemed to resolve whatever conflict that was causing the problem.

I have absolutely no idea if this is relevant to your problem, but do you have your DVR hardwired to your network as well as connecting wirelessly? I had a similar problem with a different device and disconnecting the hard wired connection seemed to resolve whatever conflict that was causing the problem.

8 of 44 (71 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 5, 2014 8:20:55 AM
(0)
Mentor

I have tried all of the same things you have except toggling between wifi networks in my home, because I only have one network.  It seems strange that you are occasionally able to get it to work.  Believe it or not, that gives me some hope!

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried all of the same things you have except toggling between wifi networks in my home, because I only have one network.  It seems strange that you are occasionally able to get it to work.  Believe it or not, that gives me some hope!

Thanks for the reply.

9 of 44 (71 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 5, 2014 8:22:27 AM
(0)
Mentor

It is connected through the coax.  However, the DVR is not hardwired straight into the router.  The DECA is.

Thanks for the suggestion!

It is connected through the coax.  However, the DVR is not hardwired straight into the router.  The DECA is.

Thanks for the suggestion!

10 of 44 (71 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 5, 2014 11:10:44 AM
(0)
Expert

Did you go to your hard wired computer and study over the Guide etc. as I suggested earlier?  You never responded as to the results of the testing.

Did you go to your hard wired computer and study over the Guide etc. as I suggested earlier?  You never responded as to the results of the testing.

11 of 44 (71 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 5, 2014 11:15:14 AM
(0)
Tutor

I will respond that I have a PC connected to my router and tried the dtv online to watch wifi or wifi+ channels, I get the same indication that I am not connected to the network and cannot stream the wifi channels.  Of course it is connected as I can stream the wifi+ channels over the network.

Tried a variety of different settings in the router to see if the wifi channels would stream...nothing worked.  Says I am not connected to the network!

I will respond that I have a PC connected to my router and tried the dtv online to watch wifi or wifi+ channels, I get the same indication that I am not connected to the network and cannot stream the wifi channels.  Of course it is connected as I can stream the wifi+ channels over the network.

Tried a variety of different settings in the router to see if the wifi channels would stream...nothing worked.  Says I am not connected to the network!

12 of 44 (71 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 5, 2014 11:20:55 AM
(0)
Expert

I wondered because at the website using a computer they don't use the wifi or wifi+ nomenclature.  Made me wonder if you'd actually been there.  We can ignore me from now on, was merely looking for a way to help you find the bottleneck.  I trust you understand that it's something in you setup or account configuration as most of us do not have the problem you describe.

I wondered because at the website using a computer they don't use the wifi or wifi+ nomenclature.  Made me wonder if you'd actually been there.  We can ignore me from now on, was merely looking for a way to help you find the bottleneck.  I trust you understand that it's something in you setup or account configuration as most of us do not have the problem you describe.

13 of 44 (71 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 5, 2014 11:27:05 AM
(0)
Tutor

There is a wifi and wifi+ graphics on my guide in the upper right corner.

It says Stream at Home; or Stream Everywhere.  Each has a wifi or wifi+ icon next to them.

Since I can stream over the network the wifi+ I wonder what setting change would allow wifi?

EDIT:  TRIED IT AGAIN AND IT IS WORKING TODAY!  Smiley Happy

(found the wireless bridge connecting to the routere was not working before when I tried it).

Still not on the smartphone however.

Ok so that does work on the PC....NOW WHY NOT THE PHONE?

There is a wifi and wifi+ graphics on my guide in the upper right corner.

It says Stream at Home; or Stream Everywhere.  Each has a wifi or wifi+ icon next to them.

Since I can stream over the network the wifi+ I wonder what setting change would allow wifi?

EDIT:  TRIED IT AGAIN AND IT IS WORKING TODAY!  Smiley Happy

(found the wireless bridge connecting to the routere was not working before when I tried it).

Still not on the smartphone however.

Ok so that does work on the PC....NOW WHY NOT THE PHONE?

14 of 44 (71 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 5, 2014 11:34:12 AM
(0)
Expert

Ahhhh, great news.  I would delete the App from the phone, then do a power down reset of the phone (hold the power button) then reinstall the App.  May get a fresh look.  Ohh, be sure to switch the phone to 3/4G and WiFi at the appropriate time  as I'm not sure if your App store will be available on WiFi.

Ahhhh, great news.  I would delete the App from the phone, then do a power down reset of the phone (hold the power button) then reinstall the App.  May get a fresh look.  Ohh, be sure to switch the phone to 3/4G and WiFi at the appropriate time  as I'm not sure if your App store will be available on WiFi.

15 of 44 (71 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 5, 2014 11:40:26 AM
(0)
Mentor

I do not have a hardwired computer, so I am unable to try your suggestion.  All of ours are wifi. 

I see the wifi and wifi+ graphics beside each program on the website.  I can stream the wifi+, but not the wifi only.

Thank you for your help!

I do not have a hardwired computer, so I am unable to try your suggestion.  All of ours are wifi. 

I see the wifi and wifi+ graphics beside each program on the website.  I can stream the wifi+, but not the wifi only.

Thank you for your help!

16 of 44 (71 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 5, 2014 11:47:07 AM
(0)
Tutor

Uninstalled the dtv app and powered down the phone.

Restart and reinstalled the app same ver. 3.3.

Setup with email and password for dtv, and receiver seen by app.

Tried streaming the NBA a wifi+ channel...works.

Tried CNN a wifi channel...will not allow as not connected to the network.

Both on the same wifi home network!

Uninstalled the dtv app and powered down the phone.

Restart and reinstalled the app same ver. 3.3.

Setup with email and password for dtv, and receiver seen by app.

Tried streaming the NBA a wifi+ channel...works.

Tried CNN a wifi channel...will not allow as not connected to the network.

Both on the same wifi home network!

17 of 44 (71 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 5, 2014 12:51:37 PM
(0)
Contributor

I was able to manually enter my receiver's ip address and it was

immediately located and all seems to be working as it should. I am on a

Galaxy Note 3 in case that is relevant to any of you

David W Hearn

I was able to manually enter my receiver's ip address and it was

immediately located and all seems to be working as it should. I am on a

Galaxy Note 3 in case that is relevant to any of you

David W Hearn

18 of 44 (71 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 5, 2014 1:19:09 PM
(0)
Tutor

I am wondering if a specific APP that is on your phone, tablet, etc. as well as being on my phone may be the cause.

What about:  Antivirus app, ie Norton mobile?

Something common to us that is causing this network interference and not allowing the streaming.

Of course if it allows wifi+ then why not wifi?

And why did the app work in the past and only stopped once a dtv update was installed?

ugh,

dtvbob

I am wondering if a specific APP that is on your phone, tablet, etc. as well as being on my phone may be the cause.

What about:  Antivirus app, ie Norton mobile?

Something common to us that is causing this network interference and not allowing the streaming.

Of course if it allows wifi+ then why not wifi?

And why did the app work in the past and only stopped once a dtv update was installed?

ugh,

dtvbob

19 of 44 (71 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 5, 2014 1:43:49 PM
(0)
Mentor

Interesting idea. I do not have Norton on my phone. What about iCloud?

Whatever we have in common might conflict with something in the upgrade.

Of course it doesn't work on my computer either though.

Ugh is right!

Interesting idea. I do not have Norton on my phone. What about iCloud?

Whatever we have in common might conflict with something in the upgrade.

Of course it doesn't work on my computer either though.

Ugh is right!

20 of 44 (71 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 5, 2014 1:44:34 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

"WiFi+" only channels can be stream anywhere (outside and inside your network) so they are "open" (for a lack of a better word) "WiFi" only channels can only be stream once you are in YOUR network the website will look for an HDDVR connected to the network to determine which channels will allow to stream

"WiFi+" only channels can be stream anywhere (outside and inside your network) so they are "open" (for a lack of a better word) "WiFi" only channels can only be stream once you are in YOUR network the website will look for an HDDVR connected to the network to determine which channels will allow to stream

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

21 of 44 (71 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 5, 2014 1:46:13 PM
(0)
Mentor

The thing that is so frustrating is that it sees my receivers and their correct ip addresses just fine. It just doesn't stream wifi channels.

The thing that is so frustrating is that it sees my receivers and their correct ip addresses just fine. It just doesn't stream wifi channels.

22 of 44 (71 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 5, 2014 1:49:49 PM
(0)
Mentor

I am able to stream the wifi+ channels inside and outside of my home. I am unable to stream the wifi only channels anywhere; although the receiver connected to my network is seen and is able to be controlled.

Thanks!

I am able to stream the wifi+ channels inside and outside of my home. I am unable to stream the wifi only channels anywhere; although the receiver connected to my network is seen and is able to be controlled.

Thanks!

23 of 44 (71 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 5, 2014 1:51:42 PM
(0)
Tutor

Both my wifi and wifi+ channels are being streamed over my wifi network via the internet.

I can stream wifi+ everywhere.

Polly,

Look at your apps and see if there is one that you use on both the phone and tablet...one that is common.

I posted in the Samsung GS4 forum on Android Central and no response.

Others with iphones work ok, so why some are not?

I have checked wifi networking on my phone multiple times.

Both my wifi and wifi+ channels are being streamed over my wifi network via the internet.

I can stream wifi+ everywhere.

Polly,

Look at your apps and see if there is one that you use on both the phone and tablet...one that is common.

I posted in the Samsung GS4 forum on Android Central and no response.

Others with iphones work ok, so why some are not?

I have checked wifi networking on my phone multiple times.

24 of 44 (71 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 5, 2014 2:08:14 PM
(0)
Tutor

I had a notion that perhaps it might be my networking equipment, ie router, bridge.

So, I replaced my router and bridge with latest and greatest from Cisco....same problem.

I do have another similar problem with TechSmith's "Fuse" app that transfers photos and videos wirelessly to TechSmith SnagIt.  I can transfer photos to SnagIt but not videos...says could not reach my SnagIt check network settings.  I suspect the same reason the Directv app is not allowing wifi channels perhaps.  Very odd stuff.

I had a notion that perhaps it might be my networking equipment, ie router, bridge.

So, I replaced my router and bridge with latest and greatest from Cisco....same problem.

I do have another similar problem with TechSmith's "Fuse" app that transfers photos and videos wirelessly to TechSmith SnagIt.  I can transfer photos to SnagIt but not videos...says could not reach my SnagIt check network settings.  I suspect the same reason the Directv app is not allowing wifi channels perhaps.  Very odd stuff.

25 of 44 (71 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 5, 2014 2:17:26 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Then the system is working as it should.  as I said, WiFi ONLY channels can be stream ONLY once you are inside the same network as your receivers. the WiFi+ are the ONLY one that can be stream outside your network, thus the difference "name"

Then the system is working as it should.  as I said, WiFi ONLY channels can be stream ONLY once you are inside the same network as your receivers. the WiFi+ are the ONLY one that can be stream outside your network, thus the difference "name"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

26 of 44 (71 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 5, 2014 2:26:53 PM
(0)
Tutor

I believe we do have one common item......... an HR24 receiver.

Is it the -500 model?

Mine is a HR24-500 model.

Must be a lot of folks with these receivers however.

peds..........It is NOT working as it should.  We both cannot stream wifi over our local home networks.  They should.

I believe we do have one common item......... an HR24 receiver.

Is it the -500 model?

Mine is a HR24-500 model.

Must be a lot of folks with these receivers however.

peds..........It is NOT working as it should.  We both cannot stream wifi over our local home networks.  They should.

27 of 44 (71 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 5, 2014 2:31:02 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

my response was not to you, but to pollyhouston, his/hers is working as it should

my response was not to you, but to pollyhouston, his/hers is working as it should

28 of 44 (71 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 5, 2014 2:43:03 PM
(0)
Tutor

Yes, I understand as mine works the same.

Both of ours work on wifi+, but not at home wifi on wifi channels.  ie they do not work.

Hope that helps your understanding of our similar problem.

Yes, I understand as mine works the same.

Both of ours work on wifi+, but not at home wifi on wifi channels.  ie they do not work.

Hope that helps your understanding of our similar problem.

29 of 44 (71 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 5, 2014 3:19:13 PM
(0)
Mentor

Yes, mine is the HR24-500 model.

Yes, they should be able to stream wifi over our local home networks!

Yes, mine is the HR24-500 model.

Yes, they should be able to stream wifi over our local home networks!

30 of 44 (71 Views)