Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Sep 9, 2013
2:40:23 PM
View profile
Android App "Receiver Error" We are unable to retrieve your receivers

I just installed the new Direct TV app for Android and I cannot get it to connect and find my receivers.

I called Direct TV and they send me a Cinema Connect Kit.   I connected this but still have the same issue.

My phone (Samsung Galaxy 3) and receiver (HR24) are connected to the same Wifi network.  My receiver is also connected to the internet.

I can watch VOD content but not the live channels that are authorized to view.

When I tap the upper left corner of the app my phone is always "out of home" even though I am connected to my home network.

Any ideas on how to correct this?

I just installed the new Direct TV app for Android and I cannot get it to connect and find my receivers.

I called Direct TV and they send me a Cinema Connect Kit.   I connected this but still have the same issue.

My phone (Samsung Galaxy 3) and receiver (HR24) are connected to the same Wifi network.  My receiver is also connected to the internet.

I can watch VOD content but not the live channels that are authorized to view.

When I tap the upper left corner of the app my phone is always "out of home" even though I am connected to my home network.

Any ideas on how to correct this?

Android App "Receiver Error" We are unable to retrieve your receivers

50 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(50)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2013 4:00:21 AM
(0)
Teacher

No one?

Does anyone actually have this app working for live TV on their home network for an Android?

No one?

Does anyone actually have this app working for live TV on their home network for an Android?

Re: Android App "Receiver Error" We are unable to retrieve your receivers

2 of 51 (722 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2013 9:19:31 AM
(0)
Expert

I do not have an Android, but I believe the "out of home" moniker indicates that you have configured the software for OOH use.

I do not have an Android, but I believe the "out of home" moniker indicates that you have configured the software for OOH use.

3 of 51 (722 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2013 10:23:18 AM
(0)
Teacher

That sounds logical but it begs the question of how do you configure it for in home use?

This new app doesn't seem to have much in the way of options or manual configuration unless I am missing it.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.   At this point,  I think the app doesn't actually work.

That sounds logical but it begs the question of how do you configure it for in home use?

This new app doesn't seem to have much in the way of options or manual configuration unless I am missing it.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.   At this point,  I think the app doesn't actually work.

4 of 51 (722 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2013 11:53:05 AM
(0)
Contributor

Not exact same setup, but have it working on HR44 and Moto bionic. Only had it for a week, but connectivity seems a little flaky.

YOu could check if your samsung can 'see' the receiver with android app like netping

Not exact same setup, but have it working on HR44 and Moto bionic. Only had it for a week, but connectivity seems a little flaky.

YOu could check if your samsung can 'see' the receiver with android app like netping

5 of 51 (722 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2013 12:00:47 PM
(0)
Teacher

Yes,  I can ping the receiver and the cinema box from my phone using Net Ping.

I also use the app "Direct TV Remote+" which scans and detects all my receivers perfectly.

I really think there is something wrong with the app.

One thing I am going to try when I get home.  I have an ATT Uverse router.  It didn't do well for wireless so I set it up as a bridge and use a Netgear router for all my internal DHCP setup and wireless.  All of my receivers DNS settings are pointing toward my internal router rather than a server out on the net.  I'm wondering if they need to point to an external DNS ip address?

Yes,  I can ping the receiver and the cinema box from my phone using Net Ping.

I also use the app "Direct TV Remote+" which scans and detects all my receivers perfectly.

I really think there is something wrong with the app.

One thing I am going to try when I get home.  I have an ATT Uverse router.  It didn't do well for wireless so I set it up as a bridge and use a Netgear router for all my internal DHCP setup and wireless.  All of my receivers DNS settings are pointing toward my internal router rather than a server out on the net.  I'm wondering if they need to point to an external DNS ip address?

6 of 51 (722 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2013 1:02:14 PM
(0)
Administrator

Just asking. You do have External Devices set to allowed in your receivers.

Just asking. You do have External Devices set to allowed in your receivers.

7 of 51 (722 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2013 1:43:07 PM
(0)
Administrator

Even with them set to not allowed it still looks like they will be detected.

Even with them set to not allowed it still looks like they will be detected.

8 of 51 (722 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2013 8:04:07 PM
(0)
Contributor

THe way discovery works with most apps DNS would not be involved. Bridging could if the devices are on different sub networks. Is the IP address of your samsung and hr24 in the same block? I.e 192.168.1.x

THe way discovery works with most apps DNS would not be involved. Bridging could if the devices are on different sub networks. Is the IP address of your samsung and hr24 in the same block? I.e 192.168.1.x

9 of 51 (722 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2013 3:53:50 AM
(0)
Teacher

Yes, I have "allow" set on all the receivers under the setting External Devices.

Yes, I have "allow" set on all the receivers under the setting External Devices.

10 of 51 (722 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2013 3:58:59 AM
(0)
Teacher

Yes,  I have double and triple checked.  They are all on the same block.

One interesting thing I am seeing that might be relevant.  When I look on my router to "attached devices"  I can see my samsung and my cinema kit device but not the receivers.   But when I go to the receivers, they all have IP addresses in the correct range. (192.168.1.x)   Maybe the cinema kit gives out the IP addresses but doesn't allow them to be seen on the router it's connected to?

I didn't end up changing my DNS setting because I verified that my phone is also pointing to the same DNS. (Internal router (192.168.1.1)

Yes,  I have double and triple checked.  They are all on the same block.

One interesting thing I am seeing that might be relevant.  When I look on my router to "attached devices"  I can see my samsung and my cinema kit device but not the receivers.   But when I go to the receivers, they all have IP addresses in the correct range. (192.168.1.x)   Maybe the cinema kit gives out the IP addresses but doesn't allow them to be seen on the router it's connected to?

I didn't end up changing my DNS setting because I verified that my phone is also pointing to the same DNS. (Internal router (192.168.1.1)

11 of 51 (722 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2013 7:29:09 AM
(0)
Administrator

In case you didn't know your receivers and information comes from your Directv Account. The receiver name shown on my App is Living Rm. Same as my on my Directv Account. In Whole Home it is Living Room. So sign into your Directv Account and see what it shows. If all looks good you may need to call Directv. You may also uninstall and re install to force you to login your Directv Account again.

In case you didn't know your receivers and information comes from your Directv Account. The receiver name shown on my App is Living Rm. Same as my on my Directv Account. In Whole Home it is Living Room. So sign into your Directv Account and see what it shows. If all looks good you may need to call Directv. You may also uninstall and re install to force you to login your Directv Account again.

12 of 51 (722 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2013 8:51:41 AM
(0)
Administrator

One thing I don't understand is how Directv determines whether you are on your home network or Out of home. If I was to guess I would say it is by ip address. If I remember right your app shows as Out of home. If so have you tapped on no receiver or whatever it says.

One thing I don't understand is how Directv determines whether you are on your home network or Out of home. If I was to guess I would say it is by ip address. If I remember right your app shows as Out of home. If so have you tapped on no receiver or whatever it says.

13 of 51 (722 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2013 9:36:55 AM
(0)
Teacher

I have to believe that the app compares your current IP address with the address of your receivers.  If they are in the same sub net, then you are "In Home" but that is just a guess.

Below are some screenshots from my phone.  In the first picture you can see the where it says "Out of Home" and below that "Receiver  No Receiver".   If I tap the "out of home" nothing happens.  If I tap "Receiver" then I get the message in the second screenshot.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l26/ande0652/Phone/Screenshot_2013-09-12-12-23-41_zpsb36210a3.png

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l26/ande0652/Phone/Screenshot_2013-09-12-12-26-02_zpsdb99abfe.png

I have to believe that the app compares your current IP address with the address of your receivers.  If they are in the same sub net, then you are "In Home" but that is just a guess.

Below are some screenshots from my phone.  In the first picture you can see the where it says "Out of Home" and below that "Receiver  No Receiver".   If I tap the "out of home" nothing happens.  If I tap "Receiver" then I get the message in the second screenshot.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l26/ande0652/Phone/Screenshot_2013-09-12-12-23-41_zpsb36210a3.png

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l26/ande0652/Phone/Screenshot_2013-09-12-12-26-02_zpsdb99abfe.png

14 of 51 (722 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2013 11:17:38 AM
(0)
Administrator

Last night when I was playing around the ip address of my living room receiver got reset. The app still showed Living Rm when I tapped on it a screen came up asking me to physically enter the ip address. So this tells me that in some cases the app is able to locate the receiver. Did you login into Directv Account?  IF so did eveything look ok.

Last night when I was playing around the ip address of my living room receiver got reset. The app still showed Living Rm when I tapped on it a screen came up asking me to physically enter the ip address. So this tells me that in some cases the app is able to locate the receiver. Did you login into Directv Account?  IF so did eveything look ok.

15 of 51 (722 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2013 11:27:00 AM
(0)
Teacher

I have logged into Direct TV and it shows 3 of my networked receivers with their correct names connected to the internet.

All looks normal to me.

I think if I could get my app to ask me the IP address it would work.   Are you using app version 3.0.0

I did call Direct TV a few days ago.   They tried everything I had already attempted.  It's been elevated to "engineering".  They were supposed to call me back for troubleshooting but that never happened.

I have logged into Direct TV and it shows 3 of my networked receivers with their correct names connected to the internet.

All looks normal to me.

I think if I could get my app to ask me the IP address it would work.   Are you using app version 3.0.0

I did call Direct TV a few days ago.   They tried everything I had already attempted.  It's been elevated to "engineering".  They were supposed to call me back for troubleshooting but that never happened.

16 of 51 (722 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2013 12:12:36 PM
(0)
Administrator

Yes I have version 3.0.0

I was just at a Out of home location. I deleted all data and cache from the APP. When loading the APP it required me to login to my account. When the APP came up it showed Out of Home and No receiver. I tapped on No receiver and it showed both of my receivers however they were grayed out. (Not selectable).

It appears to me that for some reason you just are not able to get your receivers from your Directv Account.

Yes I have version 3.0.0

I was just at a Out of home location. I deleted all data and cache from the APP. When loading the APP it required me to login to my account. When the APP came up it showed Out of Home and No receiver. I tapped on No receiver and it showed both of my receivers however they were grayed out. (Not selectable).

It appears to me that for some reason you just are not able to get your receivers from your Directv Account.

17 of 51 (722 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2013 2:44:36 PM
(0)
Teacher

I think I have all the setting correct.   Now I am wondering if my router could be blocking it.

Do you know any any specific ports have to be open?

I also found something else interesting on my receiver settings.   Under Network Setup - Network Services.  I don't know what this is for but if I click "Connect Now"  it takes a while but finally says Network Services started but connection test failed..   Unable to connect to what?   My recievers are sharing playlists fine and each one of them can download VOD content.

I think I have all the setting correct.   Now I am wondering if my router could be blocking it.

Do you know any any specific ports have to be open?

I also found something else interesting on my receiver settings.   Under Network Setup - Network Services.  I don't know what this is for but if I click "Connect Now"  it takes a while but finally says Network Services started but connection test failed..   Unable to connect to what?   My recievers are sharing playlists fine and each one of them can download VOD content.

18 of 51 (722 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2013 5:24:13 PM
(0)
Administrator

I also found something else interesting on my receiver settings.   Under Network Setup - Network Services. If an ip address is being displayed you are OK. I just ran an experiment because I wanted to know. I shutdown and unplugged my HR24 (Living Rm). Cleared all APP data an cache. Turned Wi-Fi off and 4G on. Launched the APP logged in and nothing changed. Living Rm still listed as receiver. Was even able set a recording. Since the receiver was off sure it didn't take. Turned Wi-Fi on (receiver off) was able to stream just fine this was with Living Rm selected. Not sure where you go from here. Personally I don't think there is anything wrong with your setup. Like I stated before the receiver name in the app is from your Directv Account. This tells me that your receivers also come from your Directv Account, but then again I may be wrong.

I also found something else interesting on my receiver settings.   Under Network Setup - Network Services. If an ip address is being displayed you are OK. I just ran an experiment because I wanted to know. I shutdown and unplugged my HR24 (Living Rm). Cleared all APP data an cache. Turned Wi-Fi off and 4G on. Launched the APP logged in and nothing changed. Living Rm still listed as receiver. Was even able set a recording. Since the receiver was off sure it didn't take. Turned Wi-Fi on (receiver off) was able to stream just fine this was with Living Rm selected. Not sure where you go from here. Personally I don't think there is anything wrong with your setup. Like I stated before the receiver name in the app is from your Directv Account. This tells me that your receivers also come from your Directv Account, but then again I may be wrong.

19 of 51 (722 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2013 4:59:49 AM
(0)
Teacher

That is extremely interesting.   If that is how it works, it seems like it should work outside your house on WiFi.  I don't know why Direct TV would care what WiFi we are connected to.  I always assumed that it needed to connected to the receiver but it seems you have disproved that.

I think I am going to start looking at ports on my router.  This must be what is blocking access to Direct TV.  I have been looking at issues from my phone to receiver but maybe I need to be looking from my phone to Direct TV server.

That is extremely interesting.   If that is how it works, it seems like it should work outside your house on WiFi.  I don't know why Direct TV would care what WiFi we are connected to.  I always assumed that it needed to connected to the receiver but it seems you have disproved that.

I think I am going to start looking at ports on my router.  This must be what is blocking access to Direct TV.  I have been looking at issues from my phone to receiver but maybe I need to be looking from my phone to Direct TV server.

20 of 51 (722 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2013 5:19:49 PM
(0)
Administrator

I have been looking at issues from my phone to receiver but maybe I need to be looking from my phone to Direct TV server. I believe this is true. I just ran a test. I logged into my Directv Account and changed the name of my HR34 from Bedroom to Master Bed.  Then on my phone I turned off Wi-Fi to force the phone to use 4G. I launched the Directv App (was not required to log in) and the HR34 receiver showed up as Master Bed. From what I can tell the only part the receivers play in this process is to receive a command to setup a recording.

I also launched the App on my Wi-Fi tablet it displayed my receiver as Bedroom, but was immediately updated to Master Bed.

I have been looking at issues from my phone to receiver but maybe I need to be looking from my phone to Direct TV server. I believe this is true. I just ran a test. I logged into my Directv Account and changed the name of my HR34 from Bedroom to Master Bed.  Then on my phone I turned off Wi-Fi to force the phone to use 4G. I launched the Directv App (was not required to log in) and the HR34 receiver showed up as Master Bed. From what I can tell the only part the receivers play in this process is to receive a command to setup a recording.

I also launched the App on my Wi-Fi tablet it displayed my receiver as Bedroom, but was immediately updated to Master Bed.

21 of 51 (722 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 14, 2013 7:29:30 AM
(0)
Contributor

Please don't stop this thread.  I have the same problem.  Mine's even weirder because my app can't "retrieve" ANY of the receivers, even though I'm signed in and my account on directv.com knows all of them and sees that they are all connected to the Internet - not to mention that my Directv Remote app can find them all!  Even stranger, I know this app did work when I first started using it, but then Directv had to send some people out to put in a Genie and mess up a few other things.  Now I don't even know who to ask?  The physical people or the telephone people.

Please don't stop this thread.  I have the same problem.  Mine's even weirder because my app can't "retrieve" ANY of the receivers, even though I'm signed in and my account on directv.com knows all of them and sees that they are all connected to the Internet - not to mention that my Directv Remote app can find them all!  Even stranger, I know this app did work when I first started using it, but then Directv had to send some people out to put in a Genie and mess up a few other things.  Now I don't even know who to ask?  The physical people or the telephone people.

22 of 51 (722 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 14, 2013 9:04:36 AM
(0)
Administrator

not to mention that my Directv Remote app can find them all!  Even stranger. I believe this is because the Directv Remote app is a Wi-Fi connection and communication between your receiver and your Remote App. As for the Directv App the Directv Account server is involved. There must some sort of communication between the Directv Account server and your receivers how else would the Account server know your receivers are internet connected. The only way I can see this happening is the receivers would need initiate the connection and passed this information to the Account server, but I may be wrong. As to where to go for help I am not sure, but I would start with telephone support. You mentioned other problems.

not to mention that my Directv Remote app can find them all!  Even stranger. I believe this is because the Directv Remote app is a Wi-Fi connection and communication between your receiver and your Remote App. As for the Directv App the Directv Account server is involved. There must some sort of communication between the Directv Account server and your receivers how else would the Account server know your receivers are internet connected. The only way I can see this happening is the receivers would need initiate the connection and passed this information to the Account server, but I may be wrong. As to where to go for help I am not sure, but I would start with telephone support. You mentioned other problems.

23 of 51 (722 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 14, 2013 4:01:05 PM
(0)
Teacher

I just tried putting my Cinema kit on the wirless router in front of my normal router.  Also put the phone on the new router.  Same problem.

One thing I'd like to know for the people that have it working.  When you got to network set up, then network services, what are your settings and does it start the service and connect?

Mine starts the service but does not connect.

I just tried putting my Cinema kit on the wirless router in front of my normal router.  Also put the phone on the new router.  Same problem.

One thing I'd like to know for the people that have it working.  When you got to network set up, then network services, what are your settings and does it start the service and connect?

Mine starts the service but does not connect.

24 of 51 (722 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 14, 2013 8:26:10 PM
(0)
Administrator

If you haven't done this. Uninstall and reinstall the APP. This will force you to login in to your Directv Account again. Earlier today I changed my Account Password which I thought that when I launched the App I would be forced to login (password mismatch) this was not the case. This was on both Wi-Fi and 4G.

If you haven't done this. Uninstall and reinstall the APP. This will force you to login in to your Directv Account again. Earlier today I changed my Account Password which I thought that when I launched the App I would be forced to login (password mismatch) this was not the case. This was on both Wi-Fi and 4G.

25 of 51 (722 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2013 3:46:30 AM
(0)
Teacher

I called Direct Tv for a follow up.   They told me engineering was working on this and it was now a known problem because many people had reported it.

As of now, it's still not working.

I called Direct Tv for a follow up.   They told me engineering was working on this and it was now a known problem because many people had reported it.

As of now, it's still not working.

26 of 51 (722 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2013 6:04:06 PM
(0)
Tutor

Has anyone heard anything further? I've got the same problem here with a Samsung Galaxy Note II, and I've literally already tried and checked everything noted above. I then called DirecTV, spent 75 minutes on the phone with the rep who eventually gave up on fixing it. I then found this thread.

Has anyone heard anything further? I've got the same problem here with a Samsung Galaxy Note II, and I've literally already tried and checked everything noted above. I then called DirecTV, spent 75 minutes on the phone with the rep who eventually gave up on fixing it. I then found this thread.

27 of 51 (722 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2013 6:33:02 PM
(0)
Contributor

Same setup. Same problem. HR24 and Galaxy 3 android.

I know I am on same network but app says "out of home".

Phone and all TV's show connected and same network (192.168.1.*** range).

Interested in knowing how the story goes from here.

Same setup. Same problem. HR24 and Galaxy 3 android.

I know I am on same network but app says "out of home".

Phone and all TV's show connected and same network (192.168.1.*** range).

Interested in knowing how the story goes from here.

28 of 51 (722 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2013 6:48:16 PM
(0)
Tutor

If anyone else wants a temporary fix, Google for "com.directv.dvrscheduler.v2.5.1.apk", download the earlier version and sideload. You'll get a notification when launching the app that a newer version is available, you won't be notified when a (hopefully fixed) version 3.0.x is released, and you lose the pretty new interface, but what good is that if you lose all of the old version's functionality?

It at least restored my ability to see the receivers on my own network as well as most of the streaming that the new app claims to promise, as well as remote scheduling of recordings.

If anyone else wants a temporary fix, Google for "com.directv.dvrscheduler.v2.5.1.apk", download the earlier version and sideload. You'll get a notification when launching the app that a newer version is available, you won't be notified when a (hopefully fixed) version 3.0.x is released, and you lose the pretty new interface, but what good is that if you lose all of the old version's functionality?

It at least restored my ability to see the receivers on my own network as well as most of the streaming that the new app claims to promise, as well as remote scheduling of recordings.

29 of 51 (722 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2013 4:01:32 AM
(0)
Teacher

Thank you firsttracks.    I downloaded this old version at work and can see some of the channels on live TV.   I'll try it when I get home but I'm sure it will work because it worked before I updated to the latest version.

This was helpful information and I like the old interface better than the new one anyway.

Thank you firsttracks.    I downloaded this old version at work and can see some of the channels on live TV.   I'll try it when I get home but I'm sure it will work because it worked before I updated to the latest version.

This was helpful information and I like the old interface better than the new one anyway.

30 of 51 (722 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments