Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Mar 2, 2012
9:40:37 AM
View profile
Windows 7, Eset NOD32, with Media Share help

I reformatted my pc, and now have Windows 7, with Windows Media Player 12. When I had Windows XP, in the extras  had the Media Share, but now, I can't seem to have Media Sharing, at least it doesn't show up in the extras. I'm hoping someone will help me get this to work again. Please Help!!!

I reformatted my pc, and now have Windows 7, with Windows Media Player 12. When I had Windows XP, in the extras  had the Media Share, but now, I can't seem to have Media Sharing, at least it doesn't show up in the extras. I'm hoping someone will help me get this to work again. Please Help!!!

Windows 7, Eset NOD32, with Media Share help

14 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(14)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 2, 2012 9:55:01 AM
(0)
Expert

In Windows 7 check in installed updates for KB 2585542.  If you locate it remove it and hide it so it won't come up again.  Open Windows Media Player and under the streaming header put a check on all three options then under more streaming options your DVR and other servers should be visible and you'll need to share those. The DVR is possibly still "looking" for your old operating system so if you disable your firewall temporarily and with the computer running do a red button (inside card door) reset of your DVR the music option should show up.

In Windows 7 check in installed updates for KB 2585542.  If you locate it remove it and hide it so it won't come up again.  Open Windows Media Player and under the streaming header put a check on all three options then under more streaming options your DVR and other servers should be visible and you'll need to share those. The DVR is possibly still "looking" for your old operating system so if you disable your firewall temporarily and with the computer running do a red button (inside card door) reset of your DVR the music option should show up.

Re: Windows 7, Eset NOD32, with Media Share help

2 of 15 (11 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 2, 2012 12:42:56 PM
(0)
Scholar

dcd, you the man. I was just not getting why, things weren't working, but doing those things fixed them all. Thanks a bunch!

dcd, you the man. I was just not getting why, things weren't working, but doing those things fixed them all. Thanks a bunch!

3 of 15 (11 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 3, 2012 7:30:39 AM
(0)
Expert

Hehheheheh, the man huh?  Nice of you to say so, and happy to be of help.  Glad you got it up and running.

Hehheheheh, the man huh?  Nice of you to say so, and happy to be of help.  Glad you got it up and running.

4 of 15 (11 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 6, 2012 1:42:54 PM
(0)
Mentor

Im having the same problem except I have Vista not Win7.Only way I can get media share to work is to disable my ESET nod32 firewall while I am using media share.As soon as I enable the firewall I lose the data packets

Im having the same problem except I have Vista not Win7.Only way I can get media share to work is to disable my ESET nod32 firewall while I am using media share.As soon as I enable the firewall I lose the data packets

5 of 15 (11 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 6, 2012 1:53:14 PM
(0)
Expert

Open the firewall and list the HD DVR as an acceptable application.  There isn't anything you can do from Directv's perspective to make your firewall cooperate.  Normally temporarily disabling the firewall, resetting the HD DVR then reenabling the firewall (with Media Share running) will tell the firewall to accept it.

Open the firewall and list the HD DVR as an acceptable application.  There isn't anything you can do from Directv's perspective to make your firewall cooperate.  Normally temporarily disabling the firewall, resetting the HD DVR then reenabling the firewall (with Media Share running) will tell the firewall to accept it.

6 of 15 (11 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 6, 2012 2:05:06 PM
(0)
Scholar

lowessnipe, what version of NOD32? I have version 5, and what I did was go into the Advanced setup, and in the ID and advanced setup in the Firewall settings, I unchecked the Package Inspection group and I don't have any problem. I tried checking each one at a time but it still not allow it, but when I unchecked the group it works great. Try that and see how it works for you.

lowessnipe, what version of NOD32? I have version 5, and what I did was go into the Advanced setup, and in the ID and advanced setup in the Firewall settings, I unchecked the Package Inspection group and I don't have any problem. I tried checking each one at a time but it still not allow it, but when I unchecked the group it works great. Try that and see how it works for you.

7 of 15 (11 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2012 11:49:29 AM
(0)
Mentor

I have version5 also.will try what you suggested and let you know.thanks

I have version5 also.will try what you suggested and let you know.thanks

8 of 15 (11 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2012 12:46:49 PM
(0)
Mentor

well unchecking every thing in the packet inspection group didnt work.only way i can ever get it to work is to disable the firewall altogether while using media share.as soon as i re enable the firewall I get the message unable to retrieve audio/video data packets.Funny never had a problem when using cOMODO firewall(free version)just started when I installed NOD32

well unchecking every thing in the packet inspection group didnt work.only way i can ever get it to work is to disable the firewall altogether while using media share.as soon as i re enable the firewall I get the message unable to retrieve audio/video data packets.Funny never had a problem when using cOMODO firewall(free version)just started when I installed NOD32

9 of 15 (11 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2012 12:55:32 PM
(0)
Scholar

I should have also said that I have all the others sections checked as well. Just that one unchecked. Maybe you should tell me what you are running, so, I can help you fix this. Cool

I should have also said that I have all the others sections checked as well. Just that one unchecked. Maybe you should tell me what you are running, so, I can help you fix this. Cool

10 of 15 (11 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 10, 2012 8:20:21 AM
(0)
Mentor

if i totally disable the firewall and leave it off,then reboot hddvr I can use media share,but if I re enable the firewall while using media share,it will then give me a message saying unable to retrieve audio/video data packets

if i totally disable the firewall and leave it off,then reboot hddvr I can use media share,but if I re enable the firewall while using media share,it will then give me a message saying unable to retrieve audio/video data packets

11 of 15 (11 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 10, 2012 9:23:00 AM
(0)
Expert

I guess I'd use a different firewall program as the one you're running seems to not wanting to cooperate.  I have Comcast as a ISP and they furnish Norton which is very easy to configure.  Doesn't your ISP provide a security suite?

I guess I'd use a different firewall program as the one you're running seems to not wanting to cooperate.  I have Comcast as a ISP and they furnish Norton which is very easy to configure.  Doesn't your ISP provide a security suite?

12 of 15 (11 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 10, 2012 10:15:12 AM
(0)
Mentor

Ive got AT&T not sure if they do or not but i paid $55 for 2 year subscript for ESET.Im gonna get my moneys worth.Ill survive without the media share.sound quality's not that good through it anyway.compared to burning that same file to a cd and playing it on the same sound system.

Ive got AT&T not sure if they do or not but i paid $55 for 2 year subscript for ESET.Im gonna get my moneys worth.Ill survive without the media share.sound quality's not that good through it anyway.compared to burning that same file to a cd and playing it on the same sound system.

13 of 15 (11 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 10, 2012 3:33:45 PM
(0)
Expert

Your choice but a MP3 file stored on your computer and played via Media Share is equal or superior to CD playback, at least as far as my ears can discern.

Your choice but a MP3 file stored on your computer and played via Media Share is equal or superior to CD playback, at least as far as my ears can discern.

14 of 15 (11 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2012 8:01:21 AM
(0)
Mentor

not here on my system.playing the same file thru media share has a flat sound,i burn the same song to a dvd or cd and get a clearer sound,

not here on my system.playing the same file thru media share has a flat sound,i burn the same song to a dvd or cd and get a clearer sound,

15 of 15 (11 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments