Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Jun 3, 2014
7:04:52 PM
MediaShare and Genie

i have an HR24, a Genie HR44 and an imac on my network.  i use eyeconnect to get to my itunes library via mediashare.  i can access the library from the HR24 but i cannot from the Genie.  i have checked the network connections and they are all connected.

any ideas as to why it will not work?

i have an HR24, a Genie HR44 and an imac on my network.  i use eyeconnect to get to my itunes library via mediashare.  i can access the library from the HR24 but i cannot from the Genie.  i have checked the network connections and they are all connected.

any ideas as to why it will not work?

MediaShare and Genie

12 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
View all replies
(12)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2014 5:52:12 AM
(0)
Expert

Does your computer show up on the Genies list under extras?  If so, try putting a MP3 file in the default music folder on the computer.  The Genie should see and play that file.  If that all works then you need to look at all the settings on your file server to see why the Genie isn't seeing the files.  Note that there are no (repeat no) adjustments available on the Genie for Mediashare, all such adjustments have to be on the server end.  Also note that Mediashare is designed to see and play MP#, MPG2 and JPG files stored on a networked computer in the default Windows created media folders.  When you change file types or locations, then you need ancillary software on the storage device that will work with the Mediashare feature.  I run TVersity on my computers and I can play most all file types and can store the files wherever I like.

Does your computer show up on the Genies list under extras?  If so, try putting a MP3 file in the default music folder on the computer.  The Genie should see and play that file.  If that all works then you need to look at all the settings on your file server to see why the Genie isn't seeing the files.  Note that there are no (repeat no) adjustments available on the Genie for Mediashare, all such adjustments have to be on the server end.  Also note that Mediashare is designed to see and play MP#, MPG2 and JPG files stored on a networked computer in the default Windows created media folders.  When you change file types or locations, then you need ancillary software on the storage device that will work with the Mediashare feature.  I run TVersity on my computers and I can play most all file types and can store the files wherever I like.

Re: MediaShare and Genie

2 of 13 (644 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2014 8:57:57 AM
(0)
Tutor

thanks for your reply.

yes, my computer shows up under extras/music & photos/my computers. when i select one of my computers, i get a message which says "unable to access media".

p.s. i am using a mac running eyeconnect

thanks for your reply.

yes, my computer shows up under extras/music & photos/my computers. when i select one of my computers, i get a message which says "unable to access media".

p.s. i am using a mac running eyeconnect

3 of 13 (644 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 27, 2014 9:41:21 AM
(0)
Teacher

I too have this problem but with Windows 7 & Vista. I can find the computer with vista but it will only show some pictures. I downloaded pictures from SD card and some would play and most got unable to successfully play tag for photo. Music from the vista plays fine on HR23 But slow on HR44. I get unable to acess media on both HR23 & 44 for windows7.

I too have this problem but with Windows 7 & Vista. I can find the computer with vista but it will only show some pictures. I downloaded pictures from SD card and some would play and most got unable to successfully play tag for photo. Music from the vista plays fine on HR23 But slow on HR44. I get unable to acess media on both HR23 & 44 for windows7.

4 of 13 (644 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 27, 2014 10:46:24 AM
(0)
Expert

Vista and Mediashare have had problems since the day Vista was released and it has never been fixed.  To my knowledge there is no work around except a different operating system for your computer.

Vista and Mediashare have had problems since the day Vista was released and it has never been fixed.  To my knowledge there is no work around except a different operating system for your computer.

5 of 13 (644 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 27, 2014 12:28:32 PM
(0)
Teacher

I have windows 7 both the HR44 or 23 don't have it listed under my computers. Only the computer with vista is in the list. Under network and  sharing on windows 7 view the map shows directv HR44/700, Two Icons with directv mediashare renderer, and two icons directv 2pc media server

Under media share I clicked allow all.

I have windows 7 both the HR44 or 23 don't have it listed under my computers. Only the computer with vista is in the list. Under network and  sharing on windows 7 view the map shows directv HR44/700, Two Icons with directv mediashare renderer, and two icons directv 2pc media server

Under media share I clicked allow all.

6 of 13 (644 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2014 5:05:36 AM
(0)
Teacher

After disconecting both receivers I lost windows 7 from my computer list. Any ideas how to get media share back?

After disconecting both receivers I lost windows 7 from my computer list. Any ideas how to get media share back?

7 of 13 (644 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2016 1:44:04 PM
(0)
Tutor

My Mediashare icon used to show up under Extras but no longer does.  My PC is connected via WiFi.

My Mediashare icon used to show up under Extras but no longer does.  My PC is connected via WiFi.

8 of 13 (629 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2016 9:53:25 AM
(0)
Contributor
I just "upgraded" to a Genie and where is my media share and how do I get it back?

It still shows on my original DVR, but not on the new Genie or its minion receivers.

I use Serviio
I just "upgraded" to a Genie and where is my media share and how do I get it back?

It still shows on my original DVR, but not on the new Genie or its minion receivers.

I use Serviio

9 of 13 (530 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2016 5:01:44 PM
(0)
Teacher

Directv removed the mediaShare capability from the Genie receivers for a while, but it is back now. However it looks like they have gone to great lengths to make sure it only works with Windows Media Player as a server, unfortunately that means that you probably won't be able to get serviio to work. Smiley Sad  Or any other media server for that matter. Please let me know if I am wrong.

I spent a while deconstructing the changes Directv made to mediaShare and I believe I have a solution. I am the programmer for TVShare, a program like serviio. I have a beta test version of the software for people to test with their Genie Receivers. You can download it here:

One thing you MUST do is turn on medis sharing in Windows by going to Windows Media Player and selecting 'Turn on Media Streaming' from the 'Stream' menu. That must be activated and working for TVShare to work on the Genie. (Other Directv Receivers do not require this).

This is a free test version of the software. Please let me know how it works and send feedback to the contact us link on my homepage at http://www.tvmediashare.com

Directv removed the mediaShare capability from the Genie receivers for a while, but it is back now. However it looks like they have gone to great lengths to make sure it only works with Windows Media Player as a server, unfortunately that means that you probably won't be able to get serviio to work. Smiley Sad  Or any other media server for that matter. Please let me know if I am wrong.

I spent a while deconstructing the changes Directv made to mediaShare and I believe I have a solution. I am the programmer for TVShare, a program like serviio. I have a beta test version of the software for people to test with their Genie Receivers. You can download it here:

One thing you MUST do is turn on medis sharing in Windows by going to Windows Media Player and selecting 'Turn on Media Streaming' from the 'Stream' menu. That must be activated and working for TVShare to work on the Genie. (Other Directv Receivers do not require this).

This is a free test version of the software. Please let me know how it works and send feedback to the contact us link on my homepage at http://www.tvmediashare.com

10 of 13 (407 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2016 11:52:56 PM
(0)
Tutor
I just checked and I still don't have the Media Share icon for pictures, videos, and music on my Extra menu.
I just checked and I still don't have the Media Share icon for pictures, videos, and music on my Extra menu.

MediaShare and Genie

11 of 13 (395 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 29, 2016 4:23:20 PM
(0)
Teacher

What version of Windows are you running and which genie do you have?

I have only personally tested this with Windows versions of 7 and above and the HR44/700, however my customers tell me it also works with the HR44/500 and 200.

You should check the usual suspects. Make sure you have enabled Streaming from Windows Media Player as I mentioned above. Also once you have done that, go into the stream menu on the Windows media player and select 'More Streaming Options' in the dialog that opens you should see your Directv Renderers (Receivers) and be able to Allow or Disallow them. make sure you are allowing them on the local network. If that still doesn't work then try disabling your firewall temporarily. If that still doesn't work then there may be a network issue. You should try pinging your receiver from your server (PC) and see if it responds. Instructions are here (look at the last paragraph):

http://tvmediashare.com/HW_Setup.html

Hopefully after all this you'll be able to get it going. Good Luck!

What version of Windows are you running and which genie do you have?

I have only personally tested this with Windows versions of 7 and above and the HR44/700, however my customers tell me it also works with the HR44/500 and 200.

You should check the usual suspects. Make sure you have enabled Streaming from Windows Media Player as I mentioned above. Also once you have done that, go into the stream menu on the Windows media player and select 'More Streaming Options' in the dialog that opens you should see your Directv Renderers (Receivers) and be able to Allow or Disallow them. make sure you are allowing them on the local network. If that still doesn't work then try disabling your firewall temporarily. If that still doesn't work then there may be a network issue. You should try pinging your receiver from your server (PC) and see if it responds. Instructions are here (look at the last paragraph):

http://tvmediashare.com/HW_Setup.html

Hopefully after all this you'll be able to get it going. Good Luck!

12 of 13 (355 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 29, 2016 4:56:56 PM
(0)
Tutor
Thanks! I'll be able to try your suggestions on Monday. I really appreciate your help.
Thanks! I'll be able to try your suggestions on Monday. I really appreciate your help.

13 of 13 (343 Views)