Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Oct 18, 2012
9:32:07 AM
View profile
How to capture HDTV for long term storage with DirecTV HR23

I have a problem that I need help on.

I have a son that plays college baseball. He may be playing on TV this spring. I would like to record that video and keep for his kids one day. I have a HR23 and HR24 boxes.

What is the best way to record TV for long term storage. (like a VCR in the good ol' days, but with better HD qualities)!

Thank you!

I have a son that plays college baseball. He may be playing on TV this spring. I would like to record that video and keep for his kids one day. I have a HR23 and HR24 boxes.

What is the best way to record TV for long term storage. (like a VCR in the good ol' days, but with better HD qualities)!

Thank you!

How to capture HDTV for long term storage with DirecTV HR23

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2012 3:33:28 AM
(0)
Expert

Recording in full HD is not available, but recording on a DVD recorder connected to your DVR via component cables produces very nice pictures.  The procedure would be just like VCR, play the program and record as you watch.

Recording in full HD is not available, but recording on a DVD recorder connected to your DVR via component cables produces very nice pictures.  The procedure would be just like VCR, play the program and record as you watch.

Re: How to capture HDTV for long term storage with DirecTV HR23

2 of 3 (44 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2012 10:59:21 AM
(0)
Professor
Quote: Originally Posted by bg2pres

Thank you!

bg2pres,

I have my HD DVR(HR20-700) connected via S-Video to a Sony GX-315 DVD recorder(this is approx. a 7-yr-old model) and when I record programs with the DVD recorder set for Progressive Scan the quality of the DVD recordings at SP speed(up to 2 Hrs on a standard DVD-R), when the "source" program on my HR20 was recorded in HD, is equal to the quality of a "standard store-bought DVD movie". When they are played back on my Bluray player(which upconverts to HD) there are very good quality(not HD, but very good). I concur with user dcd, that a DVD recorder is your best option for recording your son's games.

Quote: Originally Posted by bg2pres

Thank you!

bg2pres,

I have my HD DVR(HR20-700) connected via S-Video to a Sony GX-315 DVD recorder(this is approx. a 7-yr-old model) and when I record programs with the DVD recorder set for Progressive Scan the quality of the DVD recordings at SP speed(up to 2 Hrs on a standard DVD-R), when the "source" program on my HR20 was recorded in HD, is equal to the quality of a "standard store-bought DVD movie". When they are played back on my Bluray player(which upconverts to HD) there are very good quality(not HD, but very good). I concur with user dcd, that a DVD recorder is your best option for recording your son's games.

Re: How to capture HDTV for long term storage with DirecTV HR23

3 of 3 (44 Views)