Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Community

Posted May 3, 2014
3:13:22 PM
Genie DVR plays mediashare music slow; clients play it fast

Does anyone else have this problem?

I have used media share for years with my Directv HD DVR and HD receivers. I just added a Genie DVR and clients. When I play music using mediashare on it, the music drags and plays slow. Meanwhile, the clients actually speed it up. The Genie DVR is like a record player running at half speed, even the voices drop an octave; while on the clients it's like the record is playing fast and the music is both faster and at a higher pitch. Meanwhile, my HD DVR still works perfectly.

Any ideas how to fix this? I think that it is a bug in the genie software.

Does anyone else have this problem?

I have used media share for years with my Directv HD DVR and HD receivers. I just added a Genie DVR and clients. When I play music using mediashare on it, the music drags and plays slow. Meanwhile, the clients actually speed it up. The Genie DVR is like a record player running at half speed, even the voices drop an octave; while on the clients it's like the record is playing fast and the music is both faster and at a higher pitch. Meanwhile, my HD DVR still works perfectly.

Any ideas how to fix this? I think that it is a bug in the genie software.

Genie DVR plays mediashare music slow; clients play it fast

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2014 4:43:17 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

What format are your music files?

What format are your music files?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Genie DVR plays mediashare music slow; clients play it fast

2 of 8 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2014 4:49:49 PM
(0)
Tutor

WMA

WMA

3 of 8 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 4, 2014 7:18:58 AM
(0)
Expert

Try a couple of MP3 format music files.

Try a couple of MP3 format music files.

4 of 8 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 4, 2014 3:07:39 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks. But I've transcribed my entire CD collection to WMA because the MP3 format is so lossy.

I spent 1.5 hours on the phone with Directv service yesterday and they don't know what the issue is either. Referencing other forum chains, it appears that the development team does not consider this a priority so there is probably not going to be a quick resolution.

I added "mymedia" to my PC and I can now playback WMA though their channel on my Roku. So I have my music back.

However, it's very disappointing that a company with the resources of Directv includes half-baked applications that they use to promote sales and do not support. The "Beta" version on my H23 and H24 operates just fine. However, the "Beta" versions on the H44 which is 4-6 years newer is still Beta and doesn't work correctly.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Thanks. But I've transcribed my entire CD collection to WMA because the MP3 format is so lossy.

I spent 1.5 hours on the phone with Directv service yesterday and they don't know what the issue is either. Referencing other forum chains, it appears that the development team does not consider this a priority so there is probably not going to be a quick resolution.

I added "mymedia" to my PC and I can now playback WMA though their channel on my Roku. So I have my music back.

However, it's very disappointing that a company with the resources of Directv includes half-baked applications that they use to promote sales and do not support. The "Beta" version on my H23 and H24 operates just fine. However, the "Beta" versions on the H44 which is 4-6 years newer is still Beta and doesn't work correctly.

Thanks again for your assistance.

5 of 8 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 5, 2014 5:03:05 AM
(0)
Expert

Did you try the MP3's as I suggested?  That was not a casual suggestion on my part.  Mediashare supports MP3, MPG2 and JPG.  Lossy or not, MP3's will play indefinitely with nary a burp or burble.  That's assuming you have a rock solid network connection of course.  Here's the official word if you are in doubt.

Media Share

Note that you can install a 3rd party server software on your computer that will allow you to playback a variety of formats, including WMA.  I have a link to a free version if you're interested post back and I'll post the details.

Did you try the MP3's as I suggested?  That was not a casual suggestion on my part.  Mediashare supports MP3, MPG2 and JPG.  Lossy or not, MP3's will play indefinitely with nary a burp or burble.  That's assuming you have a rock solid network connection of course.  Here's the official word if you are in doubt.

Media Share

Note that you can install a 3rd party server software on your computer that will allow you to playback a variety of formats, including WMA.  I have a link to a free version if you're interested post back and I'll post the details.

6 of 8 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 9, 2014 6:23:09 PM
(0)
Tutor

MP3's do work. The marketing material used to state that WMA was also supported. I guess they dropped it from the new generation..

If you could post the other server, that would be useful. Thanks!

MP3's do work. The marketing material used to state that WMA was also supported. I guess they dropped it from the new generation..

If you could post the other server, that would be useful. Thanks!

7 of 8 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 10, 2014 3:18:14 AM
(0)
Expert

Great, here's the blurb on the server software I use.

You might want to try a 3rd party software called TVersity.  It takes the place of Windows Media Player as the server.  The current version doesn’t work properly so I run version 1_7_4_1 and simply click “okay” if offered the update.  In addition I run the CCCP codec pack (not Insurgent) and refuse the TVersity codec version if offered.  One nice thing about TVersity is the Library tab where you can tell the program where to look for your files.  Another advantage is that the program will trans-code on the fly several file types to ones the Media Share program can play.  Note that you choose the “folder” option when selecting files to play.

http://www.fileol.com/audio-and-video/tversity-media-server-pro-1.7.4.1.html

http://www.cccp-project.net/

Great, here's the blurb on the server software I use.

You might want to try a 3rd party software called TVersity.  It takes the place of Windows Media Player as the server.  The current version doesn’t work properly so I run version 1_7_4_1 and simply click “okay” if offered the update.  In addition I run the CCCP codec pack (not Insurgent) and refuse the TVersity codec version if offered.  One nice thing about TVersity is the Library tab where you can tell the program where to look for your files.  Another advantage is that the program will trans-code on the fly several file types to ones the Media Share program can play.  Note that you choose the “folder” option when selecting files to play.

http://www.fileol.com/audio-and-video/tversity-media-server-pro-1.7.4.1.html

http://www.cccp-project.net/

8 of 8 (10 Views)