Explore & discover

Helpful Links

wiring diagram

Tutor

wiring diagram

I have a coax connection between the Direct TV dish and a wall outlet; a coax splitter (one connection in and two connections out); a DVR unit; a DECA unit; and a power inserter that also has an AC to an outlet.  What is the wiring diagram between the units?

Message 1 of 13
ACE - Expert

Re: wiring diagram

Here you go.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Whole Home HR34.jpg
Message 2 of 13
Tutor

Install is from one wall outlet coax. If I understand what is shown, it would take several lines from the splitter - more than the two "out" coax connections that I have.

Message 3 of 13
Tutor

There are two coax to/from the inverter, for instance.

Message 4 of 13
Expert

the coax from the dish connect to the power inserter "PWR to SWM" port.  then a coax jumpers connects from the "Signal to IRD" port to the "IN" of the 2way splitter.  one leg of the splitter connects to the HDDR, the second leg connects to the DECA which in turn connects to your router via the short cat5 jumper

Message 5 of 13
Tutor

Had it wired just the way you stated, peds48_installs. Just re-checked and checked to be sure coax connections are tight (and they are). Power inserter LED never comes on. I just unplugged the inserter from the AC line for almost two minutes, plugged it in and it does not come on. My AC outlet has the inverter on one side and a power strip for the TV, HDDR, DVD, etc in the other side so the outlet is good.  Even ran an extension chord and plugged the inverter into the extension chord - no LED.  Tried resetting the HDDR but I don't think that will do any good until the inserter LED comes on.  BTW phone and internet is working, no stormy weather, etc.

Message 6 of 13
Expert

disconnect the cables from the power inserter, does the LED comes on?

Message 7 of 13
Tutor

disconnected the cable from the wall and the LED comes on.

Message 8 of 13
Expert

so you either have something connected incorrectly or you have a short in one of the cables.  Make sure the cable going towards the dish is connected to the PWR to SWM port in the PI

Message 9 of 13
Tutor

Disconnected every chord and cable. Whistled Yankee Doodle Dandy. Re-assembled. Works now. I swear I did nothing different. Thanks for your time.

Message 10 of 13
ACE - Expert

I'm guessing you have a sloppy coax connector, perhaps with a stray shield wire that caused it to short.  Removing and reconnecting that connection fixed it, at least for now. 

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 11 of 13
Expert

Awesome .  thanks for the update

Message 12 of 13
Expert

In my opinion the coax terminations are the major weak spot to a DIY install.  Personally I'd pay the $50 tech fee just for the terminations, not to mention the free dish alignment confirmation/touch up.

Message 13 of 13
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support