Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Wiring diagram for home connection with new HR34

Tutor

Wiring diagram for home connection with new HR34

I have 4 receivers (an HR 24, a 22, and a 21, and a 20 receivers). I plan to replace the HR24 with an HR 34. Can someone provide me with a diagram showing how my in-home wiring diagram should look like?

Message 1 of 9
Expert

Re: Wiring diagram for home connection with new HR34

Quote: Originally Posted by onealbob 

(an HR 24, a 22, and a 21, and a 20 receivers). 

are those HR or H receivers. in other words, are all HDDVRs or HD receivers.

Message 2 of 9
Expert

Sure, substitute the HR34 for the HR24 in the diagram, and all of the receivers will connect to one of the open ports on the splitter as the H24 is connected.  The power inserter must connect to the power passing port of the splitter.  Note that the HR34 has 5 tuners, so you only have space available for 3 HD receivers (non DVR) using a Slimline SWM dish.

Whole Home DVR HR24 install[93].jpg
Message 3 of 9
Tutor

Thanks for the diagram, but I thought the HR34 could be the lone recorder & made available to the other receivers, I also thought the other receivers could be connected wireless.

Is there a way for wireless connections?

Message 4 of 9
Expert

all receivers are connected via coax to the DirecTV system.  this same coax networks your receivers via DECA networking.  all the recordings on the HR34 can be made available to all HD receivers via WHDVR

Message 5 of 9
ACE - Expert

sorry, sat signal still needs coax cable. The internet can be connected wireless but the wired DECCA BB is the best way. 

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 9
Tutor

Okay, I was confused on the hookup, but I still don't understand the way my H20 & H21 are able to replay from the HR 34 recorder.

Message 7 of 9
Expert

first, if you have an H20 receiver, that receiver needs to be replace because the H20 HD receiver is not WHDVR compatible because it does not have an ethernet port.  as far as sharing, DirecTV uses DECA to network their receivers.  DECA comes from the MoCA alliance which uses coax cables for networking instead of the most common ethernet cables.  so the same coax that are feeding your satellite signals are networking your receivers.

Message 8 of 9
Expert

Quote: Originally Posted by boneal 

Thanks for the diagram, but

You need to have more faith.  You asked for a diagram and the one furnished is exactly the way the Whole Home system must be configured. (except the BB module can be a W-CCK if desired)

Message 9 of 9
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support