Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Wireless Access point

Tutor

Wireless Access point

So i just upgraded to an HD DVR and have wireless in the house.  As i understand it the receiver does not have a wireless card inside so either a wired connection to the router or an access point (wireless) is needed to connect.  I also understand the access point needs to be setup prior to use wth the receiver.  My question is does any access point work or does it need to be a specific style/brand to work with the receiver?

Message 1 of 10
ACE - Expert

Re: Wireless Access point

DirecTV sells a wireless "Cinema Connection Kit" that will enable your HR24 to connect to the internet.  Check your DirecTV.com account under Accessories.  The CCK can be configured directly from your HR24.  But if you have Whole Home DVR service you'll need a different connection scheme, so post back for more info. 

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 10
Tutor

Yep got that - but is that the only allowable access point? I have several of my own that are in storage at the moment. Linksys, Netgear, etc. I know its only 80$ for the kit but if i can save a couple bucks by using mine i will. I just wasnt sure if only certain types are compatible with the HDDVR - and no on the Whole Home DVR service, just the one receiver.

And thank you for the reply too!!

Message 3 of 10
ACE - Expert

Are you sure you looked at the Wireless Connection Kit?  It's only $32.  And yes, others will work.  The must be ethernet-based "wireless bridges".  DirecTV used to recommend the Linksys WGA600N and WET610N before they launched their own a couple months ago.  These are the only devices that can be configured directly from the HD DVR's setup menus.  Other devices must be configured via a PC connection first. 

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 10
Expert

Suit yourself of course, but the new model DCAW1Ro-01 Cinema Connection Kit is a dream to install and configure and a bargain to boot.  It's the center one in the link.

http://support.directv.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2993

Message 5 of 10
Tutor

Not sure i see the kit your talking about - this is the only one i can find - attached screen shot of kit and price.

And thank you both for your replies!  I do agree easier to use receiver than confiig via PC.

ConnectKit.bmp
Message 6 of 10
Contributor

I have several of my own that are in storage at the moment. Linksys, Netgear, etc. I know its only 80$ for the kit but if i can save a couple bucks by using mine i will. I just wasnt sure if only certain types are compatible with the HDDVR - and no on the Whole Home DVR service, just the one receiver.

personalized kids rooms

Message 7 of 10
Expert

when I check on my account that same kit is $31.99.  not sure why for you is $79.99.  I suggest the you call DTV and see if they can honor the $31.99 price.  but as posted earlier, any wireless ethernet adapter will work, the only ones that can be configure via HDDDVR are the ones mentioned by litzdog, all others must be configure with the PC

Message 8 of 10
Expert

Item DescriptionTotal
Total Due at Checkout
DIRECTV CINEMA™ Connection Kit
remove
$25.00
Shipping & Handling[?]
Charge for delivering equipment to your home.
$6.99
$31.99

I get the same.  Print this out then call Directv. 

Message 9 of 10
Expert

yeap this is what I have as well

Wireless Connection kit.png
Message 10 of 10
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support