Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Unpleasant call; DTV satellite information - is it possible for me to get the recording?

Contributor

Unpleasant call; DTV satellite information - is it possible for me to get the recording?

I threw this here because I was calling in reference to TV services.

I had a rather unpleasant call with a guy who was trying to sell me the DirectTV service. I simply wanted to know whether or not they still did satellite access as well as internet and it sort of exploded into a big thing - which I didn't understand why it even became that. The people around me stated that I was being reasonable, but the guy I was talking to (which they couldn't hear) could have also been reasonable.

Anyway, he's asking away for my information and I keep telling him all that we need is to know whether or not satellite service is continued. He sort of gives me a bit of a lecture on how easy it is to use the internet to find this, but let me tell you.. the only place I could find the word satellite on the DirectTV website is on the absolute bottom. When googling, which I'll admit google does seed search results with things that it believes are of interest to you, I saw things from (unexact possible exaggerations) "ATT Satellite no more!" to pretty much everything under the sun that isn't dated for 2019 and isn't exactly clear on whether or not DirectTV still does satellite service.

Well, that was resolved, of course, due to the very bottom of the DirectTV website stating that DirectTV is America's #1 satellite television service.. which I couldn't find for reasons which I may only surmise as I'm too stupid to read - or something. I'm not sure, but it's unimportant and I'm just sharing the story.

So, I'd like to know if it is possible for me to get a hold of that conversation for the purpose of determining whether or not I was being unreasonable. I thought it was absurd. He was like a man on a boatload of cocaine in a sinking submarine relentlessly repeating how we've gotta get this order in now before the prices go up or we're going to drown. But hey, he said that it's my money I'm being financially irresponsible with by not getting the deal done at this precise moment in time and that he's just trying to help me out - so maybe I'm the one whom was absurd.

I asked to speak to his manager, whom supposedly wasn't there. I asked for his name.. which he gave at the beginning of the call but later refused to give me.

The thing is, why was it such a big deal? I'm sorry if I'm too stupid to figure out whether or not DirectTV still has satellite connectivity, but if this is the case, which I admit I'm in no position to argue against, was the behavior that caused me to spend my time trying to figure out how to contact support to file a complaint and get a recording still actually necessary? I mean, if he was in the wrong he wouldn't have gotten fired, right? The manager would simply listen to the call then either part ways or state to him that he can't treat customers like that and everyone moves on. I don't understand why he wouldn't give me his name and due to this I feel as if he simply wouldn't go get his supervisor.

This got a bit wordy but I was unsure on how to go about writing it as it's probably more difficult to contact ATT support if not a customer than it is to meet the president.

If possible I'd like a recording of the conversation. I first called AT&T at 3:20 PM August 13, 2019 though I do not know when the conversation with the individual in question began, though it had a four minute and 20 second duration in which I wished him a good day and hung up.

If it is not possible for me to get the recording and I am in the right then I'd like to include that I'm not trying to get him fired or anything.. mainly because I gave him my address whilst still on good terms and I'd rather not wake up to my home being burned down.. but yeah. I just felt that the whole deal was unacceptable. *Edit, I wanted to state that this paragraph is mostly a joke in the event that my sense of humor doesn't translate, but I did feel that he was pretty aggressive.. I'm also not expecting him to get fired or anything and if he were, unless he has a track record of complaints, would be pretty absurd. I'm probably only .5-1.5% scared, on a 100pt scale, of having my house burned down.

This complaint aside, we're probably still going with DirectTV so long as he's not whom I'm connected with when we call to put in an order. Considering how long this became I am probably insane or something, but still, I'd like to verify that I'm not a horrible human being by listening to the recording.

Message 1 of 5
ACE - Expert

Re: Unpleasant call; DTV satellite information - is it possible for me to get the recording?

Are you sure you were talking with someone from DirecTV?  If they called you it was likely a scammer. 

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 5
ACE - Expert

Re: Unpleasant call; DTV satellite information - is it possible for me to get the recording?

@litzdog911 Read the first line. The OP made the call.

@rmball No, you can not get the recording of the conversation. They will not provide it to you. You are likely wasting your time trying to pursue this further. You should have just hung up once the conversation got weird. You managed to find this forum, you could have asked the satellite question here. For what it’s worth, Directv is satellite service. That is the only way it is delivered. There is much speculation on the internet about the future of satellite tv. Until the satellites no longer work, they won’t be abandoning satellite service anytime soon. There are still too many locations that satellite is the only way to deliver tv service.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 5
Contributor

@litzdog911 I called them - but that's still a possibility I suppose. Do they now go around giving scams to the mailman to send out? Here's an image of the pamphlet the mailman gave me which includes the number that I called.

So, is the consensus that I'm going to be having my home burnt down, or nah? If so, I tried to make my complaint hilarious because even though I was offended I do still have a sense of humor.. but now my semi-joke house burnt down percentage has risen from an iffy .5-1.5% to an astonishing but non-joking 10-15%. I couldn't find the number listed anywhere on google.

pamphlet.jpgScam or nah?

@sandblaster  

No, you can not get the recording of the conversation. They will not provide it to you.

Lame, but is also completely understandable.

You are likely wasting your time trying to pursue this further. You should have just hung up once the conversation got weird.

Both probably true. If it isn't an AT&T number then I'm possibly also getting my house burned down.

You managed to find this forum, you could have asked the satellite question here.

True, but I found this after A LOT of searching on how to contact customer support.

For what it’s worth, Directv is satellite service. That is the only way it is delivered. There is much speculation on the internet about the future of satellite tv. Until the satellites no longer work, they won’t be abandoning satellite service anytime soon. There are still too many locations that satellite is the only way to deliver tv service.

Also true but I wasn't sure. You go to the direct TV website and on the order options it states nothing of whether or not it's satellite or internet based. I have learned that DirectTV isn't the same thing as DirectTV Now but there is no clear distinction on directtv.com as far as I can see.

We already established that I'm dumb with the guy who may not be a DTV employee, but I've been looking around on the website for a bit and I still can't find a clear distinction unless DirectTV Now has an independent website.. which it actually does upon searching. Still, I find this all confusing. ..Does DirectTV come with DTV Now? I get what you're saying but it's sort of like.. do I really need to spend an hour researching to figure this stuff out? Apparently yes, but this entire time I thought I could add the satellite in the directtv basket but never found it which is why I called in the first place. I know you're not the designer or anything but I can't even find a FAQ section - unless this is it but there is also no clear link here from the DTV website. For some reason, though, the DTVNow site does differentiate and explain most of the questions I had in an easy to find FAQ had I been able to find the website in the first place. I don't know, man. This whole thing was nuts. I do appreciate the input though and agree wholeheartedly.

Now that I have found this forum, though, I can ask any additional questions here.

Message 4 of 5
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

@rmball 

DirecTV is service by satellite, that hasn't changed. It is expected for many years to come as good enough internet for streaming, or internet at all, is not available nationwide. But everybody has the sky as a resource.

Not sure what number you called, but that individual you spoke with should have been more direct on what the service is instead of saying you had to "google" it. Makes me think you were talking to a 3rd party reseller at best, scam artist at worst.

I agree the branding of "DirecTV" for satellite and the new "Directv Now" for streaming has caused a lot of confusion. Sounds like AT&T (DirecTV's new owner as of a few years ago) is going to rebrand the streaming service so there will be only one service with DirecTV in the name. But remember that DirecTV (satellite), Directv Now (streaming), and U-Verse (hardline) are 3 full TV providers that are separate, even though all are owned by AT&T.

DirecTV is still one of the biggest well-known TV providers out there so no big announcement of them being satellite is needed. Though on DirecTV's home page they do mention it is satellite. Get America's #1 Satellite TV w/ more HD, Sports & Customer Satisfaction. DIRECTV (not Direct TV or DIRECT TV) is now part of AT&T!

Definitely use this forum as a resource as there are many experienced customers. Just make sure if you do get DirecTV, make absolutely sure you read the order confirmation that is emailed to you before you let a tech install anything. Too many people (starting any service, not just DirecTV) don't read their order and get upset when they don't get exactly what they were expecting. Plus make sure if you call, that you are calling the official customer service number.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Message 5 of 5
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support