Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Technician won't install satellite disk on roof

Teacher

Technician won't install satellite disk on roof

I ordered DirecTV to be installed this week. Took me a few hours over a week or two to figure out what we wanted and set up the account. The installers were to come on Monday afternoon. On Sunday I get a call saying they were here. I knew the appointment was for Monday but figured they could just do it now. 

From the minute the very young, out or shape tech entered my house he was negative and really strange. First he says it won't work for our guest house. I told the rep when we set it all up we have a guest house, it's very close to the main house and we've had Dish satellite for years with no issues. Then the guy says there doesn't look like a suitable place to put the disk. I show him the Dish disk on our roof which has worked perfectly for years. He then tells me he cannot get on the roof. We live in a two story home on the side of a hill. You can get on the roof very easily from one side and access the spot to put the disk. He refuses, says it's ATT policy no tech can ever get on a roof. We go around for a bit and finally I just tell him to leave. 

I call DirecTV order support and a woman tells me that's ridiculous and she will have the installer's manager call me. Hours pass, no call. I call back the same number and a different guy tells me they cannot install the system at our home. After a few minutes of back and fourth (I was anger but very calm) he hangs up on me and blocks my number so I cannot call back even to cancel the order.

What's the deal? I spend hours of my time, on hold, waiting for installers etc. only to have some kid tell in in a monotone voice he can't do it? Our roof is not dangerous, not particularly steep. I'm a fifty year old woman and I could get up there and walk around. My husband does several times per year.

I wanted to bundle our services and save some money over the Dish we've had for years but this is just crazy. So my question (and warning for others) is why won't your techs install my disk?????

Message 1 of 21
Teacher

Re: Technician won't install satellite disk on roof

WOW. I just checked out their yelp reviews. No matter the location I put in the search they have the worst yelp reviews I've ever seen. Lots of people all over the country dealing with the same issues I did and a million others complaining about various other customer service problem. If they were a small business, they'd be out of business!

I wish I'd checked Yelp before, angry customers seem to know more about the install process then the reps themselves!

Message 16 of 21
Tutor

As a technician my self I understand your frustration. If a tech was to loose his footing fall off your roof and die how would you feel. Not to mention you would be made liable for said death. As techs if we got on every roof the chance of death or injuries skyrockets. Technicians have stop work 

Authorization. Giveing them the right at any time to stop work. Some times it’s even impossible to set a ladder up. 

Message 17 of 21
Teacher

"CSR's most likely have never installed a DTV system so don't know what is involved. "

And will tell you anything to get you to buy or get you off the phone.  Been there and have been lied to several times.

No they won't get off the ladder.  The first installer did go on the roof, 2 story house but access to the roof is from the 2nd floor deck with a 6 ft ladder.  I've been up there several times.  Had to have a new dish installed with an upgrade.  Now it takes a 25 ft ladder which I don't have to get to the dish.  

"WOW. I just checked out their yelp reviews. No matter the location"

I wonder what DirecTV's reviews were before ATT messed them up.

Message 18 of 21
ACE - Expert

Techs are no longer supposed to leave the ladder. Was a change to OSHA regulations some time ago. Now it states they can only leave the ladder with OSHA approved safety equipment. DirecTV stays in compliance by not allowing techs to leave the ladder. If a tech leaves the ladder and goes on the roof then they are violating the policies of their employer which is their own risk.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 19 of 21
Teacher

Why would you say “att/directv is an awsome company” unless you’re a shill for att?

Customer service (now i guess originating im Mumbay) says anything even promising servicing antennas on roofs, when local techs won’t.

Message 20 of 21
ACE - Expert

@N1ck4now wrote:

Why would you say “att/directv is an awsome company” unless you’re a shill for att?

Customer service (now i guess originating im Mumbay) says anything even promising servicing antennas on roofs, when local techs won’t.

Other customers, like myself, are allowed to have our own opinion. Just because you don't like AT&T/DirecTV doesn't mean we have to share that opinion. So no we are not a "shill" as you claim.

Receiving dishes have been serviced on roofs for years. Unfortunately the OSHA regulation updated, so to stay in compliance DirecTV no longer allows their techs to leave the ladder. In those cases the existing dish must be serviced by a 3rd party, or DIY, or alternatively pay to have DirecTV install a receiving dish in a place that may be reached from the ladder. Personally I wish they had a program to at least meet customers halfway or such across the board on the cost of installing a new dish (or relocating if customer could remove themselves) when they have an older install not reachable by current Federal regulations. But it seems unlike the required MPEG swap program that is currently going on (MPEG-2 ends April 2019) for very old installs, there has been no program heard of just for the location of an old dish.

If by chance your setup is old enough that your boxes and receiving dish are MPEG-2, DirecTV will have to install a new dish anyway which they have a program to do that at no cost. In that situation it depends on the model of boxes if all need replacing or just some of them.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 21 of 21
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support