Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Technician won't install satellite disk on roof

Teacher

Technician won't install satellite disk on roof

I ordered DirecTV to be installed this week. Took me a few hours over a week or two to figure out what we wanted and set up the account. The installers were to come on Monday afternoon. On Sunday I get a call saying they were here. I knew the appointment was for Monday but figured they could just do it now. 

From the minute the very young, out or shape tech entered my house he was negative and really strange. First he says it won't work for our guest house. I told the rep when we set it all up we have a guest house, it's very close to the main house and we've had Dish satellite for years with no issues. Then the guy says there doesn't look like a suitable place to put the disk. I show him the Dish disk on our roof which has worked perfectly for years. He then tells me he cannot get on the roof. We live in a two story home on the side of a hill. You can get on the roof very easily from one side and access the spot to put the disk. He refuses, says it's ATT policy no tech can ever get on a roof. We go around for a bit and finally I just tell him to leave. 

I call DirecTV order support and a woman tells me that's ridiculous and she will have the installer's manager call me. Hours pass, no call. I call back the same number and a different guy tells me they cannot install the system at our home. After a few minutes of back and fourth (I was anger but very calm) he hangs up on me and blocks my number so I cannot call back even to cancel the order.

What's the deal? I spend hours of my time, on hold, waiting for installers etc. only to have some kid tell in in a monotone voice he can't do it? Our roof is not dangerous, not particularly steep. I'm a fifty year old woman and I could get up there and walk around. My husband does several times per year.

I wanted to bundle our services and save some money over the Dish we've had for years but this is just crazy. So my question (and warning for others) is why won't your techs install my disk?????

Message 1 of 21
ACE - Expert

Re: Technician won't install satellite disk on roof

Bummer.  You've run up against DirecTV's "no leaving the ladder" rule.  Supposedly this is driven by OSHA safety rules.  At any rate, you won't get a DirecTV installer that will leave the safety of their ladder to get on a roof.  If there's no other suitable location, like your wall or a pole mount, you'll need to hire your own installer.  

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 21
ACE - Expert

Directv does not allow techs to leave the ladder and go onto the building to comply with OSHA safety regulations. That is why he could not install your receiving dish (not disk).

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 21
ACE - Expert

Some folks will like post here that there's really not an OSHA rule, but simply an AT&T rule.  Regardless, that's their policy. 

Message 4 of 21
Teacher

Actually, it's really not a bummer. I'm so glad I found out how terrible customer service is with DirecTV. The run around I got from the reps concerning this issue was insane. They repeatedly assured me the installer could get on the roof. They told me the installers manager would call me, they never mentioned any of this when I placed the order, dealing with them was a nightmare. The fact that they don't have independent contractors available in cases such as ours is crazy. Half the houses in my community would not be suitable for a satellite dish if the guy won't get on the roof.

I started looking into reviews of DirecTV after this incident and I feel like we dodged a bullet. I'll keep my slightly more expensive but excellent Dish service we've had for years.

Message 5 of 21

You didnt dodge a bullet Directv/AT&T is an awesome company. They do have contractors available however the same rule applies to them as well. Its for everyones safety. Did you know some poor technician fell through a customers roof? How do they know whose roof is safe and whose is not? Therefore a rule was put in place for everyone. Maybe now people wont complain about their roofs being damaged when it was already damaged.  Your entitled to your views / opinions as for me Im an AT&T/Directv Girl all the way and have been for many years. Good luck to you its the one who talk about them the most that will eventually come back.

Message 6 of 21
Teacher

I guess you didn't read my post. They wasted HOURS of my time both on the phone and waiting for the tech. I spent over two hours on the phone with a rep setting everything up and not once did they mention they couldn't install on our roof. In fact, I described our house, told them there was no other place to put the dish except the roof and there was easy access to get up there. It was clear to the rep so when the installer came I was surprised. 

When I called back to tell them he wouldn't go up there a different rep told me they have no such policy and he should go up on the roof and install the thing. What??!!

JUSTMETYPING sounds like a paid response writer to balance all the negative comments. Glad you love your satellite service so much. I'm glad I stayed with Dish.

Message 7 of 21
ACE - Expert

CSR's most likely have never installed a DTV system so don't know what is involved. 

Message 8 of 21

Well I do apologize for you inconvenience your time and if you missed work
is truly important. I'm not a paid representative I'm an actual customer
and have been for many years. I'm wondering when this happened to you was
it before the mentioned technician mishap or after? If after the
representative may not have known. Plus representatives are in the office
and not in the field. If you wanted a guaranteed answer you would have
asked to speak with someone in the technical support department. As a
perspective customer you had that right. Glad your staying with DISH they
are an excellent company. Best of luck to you. Oh! And by the way there are
no perfect companies out there. Remember that for future references.
Message 9 of 21
Associated Member

OSHA's fall protection standards §1926.501 covers roof work. Which will show why they would be unable to install on the center of your roof.

*I am a trusted partner that is associated with AT&T, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 10 of 21
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

Pretty much OSHA forbids leaving ladder and going onto roof without meeting additional and expensive safety measures.

Directv complies with this regulation by no longer allowing techs to leave the ladder. This is the low cost option keeping their tech save and keeps in line with the Federal regulation.

Only tech on site can verify if install can be done normally, if any customer or additional work is needed, or if install cannot be done at all. Only they have the training on install and actually have eyes on your place. Sometimes the order needs to have a note if a taller ladder may be needed, but no agent should be saying the tech can leave the ladder as the update to OSHA has been in place for a few years now. Wonder if was a AT&T legacy agent as they seem to still be learning the Directv side of things.

Most customer service agents have never installed Directv themselves. Different skill sets for talking with people, working on computers in the office, as opposed to hands on installing. Technical support would expect to be more knowledgeable on install info, though again that is on the office and info side, not necessarily installers themselves.

I am a customer, not employed by either Directv or AT&T. Satisfied with Directv myself, but understand your grievances. Hopefully better experiences in the future. And if you ever decide to check Directv again down the road, you can always pop into this forum for guidance on equipment and install from other customers as some of us have special setups or have more experience with installing ourselves.

Message 11 of 21
Tutor

I have been a DirectTv customer for over 15 years.  The point is well taken here, it's the overall customer service that is the issue here not just the "no leave the ladder" rule. They have now wasted about 3 hours of my time (going through their telephone check list ad nauseum) and sent two technicians with the "do not waste my time and theirs if they cannot get onto roof" written on the service order.  they just sent ANOTHER tech who out who, of course, gave me same answer. They don't even give you an alternative or somebody local who is willing to go onto the roof.  My roof line is not that dangerous, but I get the rule and appreciate the OSHA requirement.  But somebody must be willing to do it but DirectTv is too incompetent to give a long standing customer any alternative. I've never seen anything quite like it in terms of TERRIBLE customer service.  They might as well hand you a card for the local cable provider while they're at it to keep it simple.  

Message 12 of 21
ACE - Expert

Tech can see if there is a place that may be installed without leaving the ladder. They cannot make that determination over the phone as call center agents do not do the install work themselves. Now the tech on site might discuss an alternative such as a pole mount in the ground, but that is custom work with cost negotiated with tech. 

OSHA is a Federal regulation. Directv cannot refer you to a specific 3rd party contractor who might violate OSHA as they could be deemed at least partially liable if something were to happen. So any 3rd party work is up to you. Directv only does their standard install, or approved custom work such as a pole mount. That is why they cannot give you someone local to get on the roof as that would be encourage breaking of the law/Federal regulation.

Message 13 of 21
Scholar

They are afraid your roof could get damaged so they stopped doing that a long time ago. Only pole mount now. Call dish network - their azimuth (sat positioning) is different.

Message 14 of 21
Teacher

Jimbotron gets it because he's going through it but some of you are completely missing the point. My complaint is not with the OSHA rule or DirectTV's adherence to that rule. My complaint is that I told every rep I spoke with exactly what installing the dish would require, getting on the roof and walking completely across the roof, would be the only way to install. I told them there was no where to install a tripod, I told them we currently have DISH and it would need to be installed in the same location on the far corner of the roof.

The reps were only concerned with establishing my account and chose to waste my time KNOWING there was a very good chance they could not install the equipment. They were being paid for their time while wasting mine. To make matters worse, when I called back to complain after the "installer" left another rep tried to reschedule the install because she said there is no such rule and he should get on the roof. What?!  

Within the first few minutes of establishing a new account or setting up an appointment with an installer to move equipment the rep should discuss roof access with the customer. It's that simple. The reason they don't is because it's probably cost effective to go through the whole process, get the installer out there on the tiny chance that the customer is missing something and in fact it can be installed. Well I knew better (as do most homeowners) that it wouldn't work any other way and should have been given the chance to make my own decision with all the facts up front. Had they told me they could not get on the roof I would have never proceeded with trying to set up the account and therefore wouldn't have wasted hours of my time!

Message 15 of 21
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support