Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Technician will not get on roof

Contributor

Technician will not get on roof

Have an issue with the connection to my satellite dish which is not allowing me to get updated program information. The installer or technician came out to my property today to say that he's not allowed to step on the roof anymore. So this means that they won't remove the dish on my roof there still two previous dishes on my roof and they want to install a new dish to allow them to not leave the ladder. They used OSHA regulations as the reason why they can't get on any customers roof anymore, they can only do installations of new dishes from the ladder. This is totally unreasonable that they won't service their equipment or fix a simple issue. Anyone else having this issue and getting the run around? If not resolved I'm leaving Directv after 10 years at $200 a month.... Thoughts?

Message 1 of 66
Professor

Re: Technician will not get on roof

Why not let them install the new dish.If i were at your house thats what i would offer.

Message 16 of 66
Professor

There is another option next time they come out
Insist they call their supervisor for fall protection support.

This will involve drilling roof cleats into your roof every 6 feet untill the dish is reached.

The cleats will remain in your roof and you must sign a damage waiver.

Message 17 of 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can also contact a handyman and get the dish moved for you. Since the dish is yours, you can even move it yourself. Just be careful if you do.

Message 18 of 66
Contributor

@rmaupin wrote:

Have an issue with the connection to my satellite dish which is not allowing me to get updated program information. The installer or technician came out to my property today to say that he's not allowed to step on the roof anymore. So this means that they won't remove the dish on my roof there still two previous dishes on my roof and they want to install a new dish to allow them to not leave the ladder. They used OSHA regulations as the reason why they can't get on any customers roof anymore, they can only do installations of new dishes from the ladder. This is totally unreasonable that they won't service their equipment or fix a simple issue. Anyone else having this issue and getting the run around? If not resolved I'm leaving Directv after 10 years at $200 a month.... Thoughts?

Message 19 of 66
Contributor

I recently had a new roof put on my house and the satellite was moved so I lost signal.  I called Directv to come out and adjust it.  The tech came sat in the truck for 15 minutes and then came out to tell me he can't go on the roof due to OSHA regulations. Talked to his supervisor and called Directv and got nowhere.  I cancelled my subscription which I had for over 14 years at approximately 200 to 240 dollars per month. They offered no alternatives to resolve my issue.  Do you know what I have to say to Directv,"GOOD LUCK  WITH THIS BUSINESS MODEL"  You need to communicate with satellites for your business, but you wont't go onto single family roofs to connect them.  Guess what you put it up there to begin with and your company is going to have bigger probllems going down the road.  If anyone actually reads this I'm sure you get the complete and utter sense of disgust and aggravation I have with them today. Hey, AT&T may not have been such a good idea after all.

Message 20 of 66
Scholar

time to call dish.. i wish you luck if you live in an apt complex or if they have to install the dish above a certain level.. dish has the same polices. as they had to do my install above the 3rd floor requiring 100 ft drop of RG6 to the ground.. and dish told me they would not install and that i would have to find a retailer. i told dish where to go and did it myself and saved the 200.00.. i am willing to bet that it's an insurance thing!!! after telling em the roof even had walls around it!!! and to be honest directv will install on the roof where i live and DISH will not so DISH has worse polices than directv on installs

Message 21 of 66
ACE - Expert

@ganto2014 Of course it is an insurance thing they don't have to pay when they find out the employee didn't follow OSHA rules about safely(leaving the ladder without proper safely equipment).

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 22 of 66
Scholar

i agree!!! if the OP thinks that DISH is gonna be better depending weather or not weather he lives an apt condo or a house and how high the dish has to goto to get a line of sight.. DISH can be a real nightmare over directv as far as installs go!!! direct will install on the roof in my complex DISH will NOT!!! really something to think about!!! there better off hiring a third party to remove the dishes if they don't want them up there!!

Message 23 of 66
Contributor

I am a 13 year customer having the same issue.  The satelitte dish was disconnected by roofer.  I called DTV to have the dish reconnected only to find out that they can't get on roof.  I asked when  this so call regulation became effective and why customers where not informed of this change in installatioon.  I was told that DTV did not have to notify customers because it did not initiated this regulation, OSHA did.   I said that anything that affects DTV from providing the previous sevice or causes a change in service, that DTV had a business obligation to inform their customers.  Obviously they disagree and said that would send someone out to see if they could find another unobstructed location.  DTV is going to lose retention credibility if they can't resolve this issued in a satisfacory manner.   Unacceptable.

Message 24 of 66
ACE - Expert

So what did DTV do to change your service or stop providing it? You own the dish and everything but the receivers to maintain.  DTV is sending a tech to see if they can restore your service, I assume they aren't charging the normal $50 service call so what more do you want?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 25 of 66
Tutor

We pay a for a protection plan which offers us a reciever upgrade so the guy came out from an hour drive with our new receiver and says he can go on the roof!
Message 26 of 66
ACE - Expert

Yes, until he or someone else falls off and Workmans Comp doesn't pay and they come after the homeowners policy.

Message 27 of 66
Contributor

Same issue here with the wrinkle being that there is no other viable place to install the satellite dish.  I would gladly have allowed it--except that I wasn't about to allow multiple holes to be drilled into my stucco wall.   In fact, the technician could have reached the dish on the roof with a ladder but it meant putting the ladder in a dirt rather than paved surface.  I'm a petite, not particularly adventurous, woman and I've done it myself multiple times to clear out gutters.  You'd think, knowing that they could not maintain the equipment they installed for so many customers, that they'd have come up with a workable alternative for those of us whose homes they have provided service for years.  I have read about "pole mounts" but this was never offered as an option. 

In any event, the customer (no)service is so pitiful that I've decided I'm relieved to move on.

Message 28 of 66
ACE - Expert

The OSHA rule has only been in effect for maybe a year or less so they could service it until it went into effect.

You can try dishpointer.com select multi LNB DTV SWM 3LNB to see if a pole is possible.

Message 29 of 66
Contributor

Same thing happened to me. I am mounting a campaign to inform all other DTV AT&T customers that these people are unable to meet their obligations to us! Mastec, their sub(par)contractor simply is not certified to climb on roof tops. OSHA doesn't stop them from getting certified anymore than they stop roofers, builders, HVAC installers, etc from working on roof tops. Can you imagine how unattractive it is much less against most HOA rules, to have these dishes hanging within arm's reach of a ladder? They have always been placed out of sight and in best position for receiving a signal - at least in our neighborhood. In addition, many of us are not being told that our dishes were never grounded. One homeone was struck by lighting and had $10K in damages! But DTV AT&T will not fix their own dishes...seems it is MY problem and I can't find anyone to go up there. We cannot use poles where we live and I wish I had another alternative.

Message 30 of 66
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support