Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Technician will not get on roof

Contributor

Technician will not get on roof

Have an issue with the connection to my satellite dish which is not allowing me to get updated program information. The installer or technician came out to my property today to say that he's not allowed to step on the roof anymore. So this means that they won't remove the dish on my roof there still two previous dishes on my roof and they want to install a new dish to allow them to not leave the ladder. They used OSHA regulations as the reason why they can't get on any customers roof anymore, they can only do installations of new dishes from the ladder. This is totally unreasonable that they won't service their equipment or fix a simple issue. Anyone else having this issue and getting the run around? If not resolved I'm leaving Directv after 10 years at $200 a month.... Thoughts?

Message 1 of 66
Contributor

Re: Technician will not get on roof

Do you know the name of the subcontractor?

Message 31 of 66
ACE - Expert

The HOA can't stop you using a pole....

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 32 of 66
ACE - Expert

So lobby OSHA to change the rules, DTV and other companies are not going to add the necessary safety hardware to your roof to use the proper safety equipment unless you are willing to pay more to get your dish serviced but I doubt they will even offer it.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 33 of 66
Contributor

Same problem here. Went to upgrade to HR54 to get 4K and the dish is mounted 6ft from the edge of the roof out of sight behind the chiminey stack. It's the only location that was approved by my HOA. There is no other option for relocation!! He had all the equipment laid out and ready to go, disappeared for 5 minutes, came back and said his manager said he can't go on the roof. I even offered to bolt on the new LMB myself but no joy. Sent him packing. Time to shop for new provider. 15 year customer means squat to them, not including being an AT&T wireless customer for since the Cingular days. Directv use to be the best, not so much now. Out!!!
Message 34 of 66
ACE - Expert

Look up OTARD HOAs can't prevent a dish on property under your exclusive control, I believe the corner of the roof qualifies.

Message 35 of 66
Contributor

I am so sorry to hear you are having the same troubles. But am not surprised. I have spent serious time shopping the options and for some of us, we are left without them. No 4K for example. And HOAs do not like dishes hanging in site. Neither do I! This is the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard of.

Sling TV offers streaming TV…sounds good but the quality on my awesome TVs is disappointing. I mean, why have all this technology if it is going to look like yesterday’s news and pixelate periodically? I do have fast internet, too.

What I have enjoyed is using APPLETV more on the three TVs that were installed that I can’t get DirectTV on even though I paid to have new lines run in anticipation of DirectTV hooking up the new boxes (HAIR PULLING AND GNASHING OF TEETH)…

I have not found anyone to work around this situation but I will and when I do, I will post information here and hope others will too.

Message 36 of 66
Contributor

Having trouble with our tv. We have one tv on one box and two tv's on another box. The one tv has no problems but the other two keep freezing up or stopping all together. DTV tech came out and the only solution (according to him) is to put new satelite  IN THE FRONT YARD. We have trees in back and on sides. We said to tech why not just change boxes as the one tv on differrent box works fine....no he says, if we were not willing to put new satelite in front yard all he could do was close out service call. Doe's that make since to anyone? You  would think that might have been an easy fix. Have been with dtv for 9 years and time to look  at cable.

Message 37 of 66
ACE - Expert

If you look at how sat TV works you will see why this makes complete sense, and was not an easy fix. To get sat service with HD you need line of sight to three satellites in the 99, 101 and 103 slots in the sky. (and to 119 in some areas) DirecTV install rules require an additional few degrees each side as clearance. The receivers test the signal levels and if they are not above a specific level then the tech can't close the installation job and won't get paid. 

You might also have an SD receiver as well as HD ones. The SD receiver only needs to see the 101 satellite so if the line of sight to 99 or 103 is interrupted the SD receiver will be fine.

So the tech needs to find somewhere where there are no trees growing in the line of sight to the three satellites. If he says that is in the front yard, it's probably true.

Message 38 of 66
Professor

It may have been an easy fix but he has to make sure you have proper signal and the entire job must be up to code. Try to get them to ship you a new reciever
Message 39 of 66
Contributor

We were able to resolve this problem by asking to be scheduled for a NEW INSTALLATION and not as a RELOCATION type of a work order.

We have two satellite dishes because we have a subscription service with The Filipino Channel (TFC), an international channel through Direct TV. Our poor reception problem has been ongoing over the years and only happens when it rains. But because of the heavy rains CA went through this winter, our poor reception problem was more persistent and getting worse. Although we were not having any problems with our regular and premium channels, we persisted on having Direct TV fix the issue with TFC as I am paying $250/month for premium and TFC channels and we feel that we need to receive the quality of service we paid for.

It took five separate visits by Direct TV technicians and hours of phone calls to customer service and a final call with the Cancellation Department to resolve the issue. We’ve been a customer for almost eight years.

On one of the visits, the Direct TV technician suggests that we go to a Direct TV sales person at our local Wal-Mart because according to him, these sales agents have contacts with independent contractors that can resolve this issue for us and we will not have to pay for anything. The Direct TV agent at Wal-Mart denies this and says he can only coordinate installation of new customers and in order for customers to be considered new, a customer must not have been a Direct TV customer for at least one year.

I do not recommend that you hire another agent or contractor to touch Direct TV equipment as this may void your warranty. I firmly believe that Direct TV only wants to protect itself from the liability of its employees from falling-off the roof or causing damages to customer’s roof/property when they implemented this no-walking on roof policy. However, it is my personal layman’s opinion that we as customers must also protect ourselves from voiding our rights when we start messing with Direct TV’s equipment. It is their equipment and therefore their responsibility to fix and maintain.

I also recommend that before you sign a statement acknowledging completion of the work order, you should insist that the signal strength be a least 90% for the dish that handles your normal channels and at least 80% for the international dish. It is a technical issue, but the technician can run this test in front of you and show you graphically the result of the test. Don’t ever agree to a waiver if signals did not pass the test as you could end up paying for another visit if Direct TV has to come back and fix the same issue. This is one of the test we learned from the third technician who was a Direct TV contractor who came by to relocate the dish.

Lastly, be prepared to be present at your house all day. Our schedule was for 8-4, the technician came in at 130 pm and the job didn’t get done until 7:30 pm and only after another Direct TV technician came in to assist.   Don’t let them leave without fixing the issue.  Insists on speaking with their supervisor if they are giving you unsatisfactory answer.  Also, insist that you conduct a teleconference with the technician’s supervisor and the Direct TV customer service if you are not getting the same answers. The technician will always insist on not able to do it even though the customer service says it can be done. Be persistent and seek out answers and don’t accept a “NO” when another department says they can. Good luck!

Message 40 of 66
ACE - Expert

It was OSHA that set up that rule about not leaving the ladder without proper safety equipment not DTV,  You own the dishes and everything but the receivers so you can DIY or have someone to it.

Message 41 of 66
Tutor

What's amazing is that they would rather THE EMPLOYEE install a dish 25 ft in the air on a ladder instead of going up 10 feet and work 25 ft off of a 70×50 roof. Makes no sense, but as you pointed out, there are other cable options.
Message 42 of 66
ACE - Master

sure you can use poles.  please read otard

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Message 43 of 66
Contributor

Im sitting here with an installer right this minute. Both he and the supervisor gave me OSHA as a reason. Of course, I looked that up immediately and found that it's not accurate. Just don't lie to me about it. ATT never told us this, and we specifically asked the question. They pushed and pushed for a pole installation, which I don't want - and you have to pay more for it and get it buried in your yard. I got on the phone with the guy's supervisor and complained, and, magically, he has permission now to do it. What the...! Ugh!
Message 44 of 66
ACE - Expert

OSHA will not allow a tech to leave the ladder without proper safety equipment so that is true as DTV will not provide that equipment or install the anchors needed to use it.  Why can't they mount a new dish near the edge of the roof?  Pole mounts for LOS are free. 

Message 45 of 66
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support