Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Technician will not get on roof

Contributor

Technician will not get on roof

Have an issue with the connection to my satellite dish which is not allowing me to get updated program information. The installer or technician came out to my property today to say that he's not allowed to step on the roof anymore. So this means that they won't remove the dish on my roof there still two previous dishes on my roof and they want to install a new dish to allow them to not leave the ladder. They used OSHA regulations as the reason why they can't get on any customers roof anymore, they can only do installations of new dishes from the ladder. This is totally unreasonable that they won't service their equipment or fix a simple issue. Anyone else having this issue and getting the run around? If not resolved I'm leaving Directv after 10 years at $200 a month.... Thoughts?

Message 1 of 66
Employee

Re: Technician will not get on roof

I had the same issue when I tried to get AT&T to install directv.  I had Directv 5 years ago, before ATT, but switched to uverse when it was available.  Now I wanted to go back to Directv and replace the old dish with a new dish.  The dish was located on my flat roof.  The installer said he couldn't go on the roof even though it was flat.  he suggested one other location on the side of the house but I would have to cut down the tree that was in the way (I'm not kidding!).   I escalated to no avail.  With all the competition for video and cord-cutting you think ATT would try a little harder to put directv wherever possible.

So now I have Directv because I went to Costco and signed up for it.   Costco doesn't use our installers.  The installer who came out quickly went on the roof, replaced my dish and took the old one.  I'm happy now, but sad with our company.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 46 of 66
ACE - Expert

As stated it is OSHA that will not allow techs on a roof not DTV.  They can still fall off a flat roof and if they do then Workers comp will not pay as they are not suppose to be there. The rules apply to companies with X employees so Costco installers may not be covered but if they fall then they go after the homeowner's insurance.   

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 47 of 66
Tutor

Amazingly a roof is easier to stand on than the rungs of a ladder,
therefore that's a lame excuse. You can blame unions for that rule. Go
cable!
Message 48 of 66
Teacher

shannon02 - You seems well versed in that OSHA is prohibiting AT&T from "leaving the ladder" to make repairs.

Please show us what it would take AT&T to comply with OSHA regulations for them to work on a roof.

And, why AT&T has not worked to comply with the OSHA regulations OR offer to have repairs made by outside techs who work for a company who's techs comply with such OSHA regulations.

Thank you in advance.

Message 49 of 66
ACE - Expert

https://www.osha.gov/Publications/reducing-falls-roof-repair-factsheet.pdf

I doubt that DTV will train any techs in the use of this safety equipment or provide it let alone install the anchors needed to use it when it is easier to use ladders. 

DTV is in compliance with OSHA by not allowing their techs to leave the ladder.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 50 of 66
Teacher

The ,pdf file you linked to seems to apply to roof repair, not servicing equipment on the roof.

Message 51 of 66
Tutor

Yea and cars also use to not have seat belts

Message 52 of 66
Teacher

You're calling this a solution, are you?

DirecTV put the antenna where it is, now they won't re aim it.

Cut my cable. Cut it now.

Message 53 of 66
Teacher

Or, just dump DTV. Simple. They don't want your business anyway.

Hulu is getting REALLY good. They have ESPN and you only pay for the channels you want.

Message 54 of 66
Tutor

Really?
Message 55 of 66
Highlighted
Tutor

Directv was purchased by At&T. it is not the same company. The policy’s have changed. 

Message 56 of 66
ACE - Expert

@JrsyDvlInG wrote:

shannon02 - You seems well versed in that OSHA is prohibiting AT&T from "leaving the ladder" to make repairs.

Please show us what it would take AT&T to comply with OSHA regulations for them to work on a roof.

And, why AT&T has not worked to comply with the OSHA regulations OR offer to have repairs made by outside techs who work for a company who's techs comply with such OSHA regulations.

Thank you in advance.

It is not that the changes to OSHA prohibits leaving the ladder at all. They just require approved safety equipment in order to do so. DirecTV, well before the acquisition of AT&T, choose to stay in compliance by not letting their techs leave the ladder instead of whatever investment would be needed to provide the additional equipment and training to all techs. AT&T taking over DirecTV has so far has not changed the situation.

This does cause concern for older installs where dish is not easily accessible from the ladder. At this time the only resolution is to have maintenance done by 3rd party (or yourself if comfortable with DIY projects), or have DirecTV install a new dish. Some have done a relocate order and removed the dish beforehand to try and save some cost on that (leaving the mounting plate to avoid leaks). This is the options unless DirecTV's/AT&T's policy changes regarding how to stay within OSHA compliance.

Message 57 of 66
ACE - Expert

@N1ck4now

As discussed, to comply with new OSHA regulations (from a few years ago), DirecTV no longer allows techs to leave the ladder to service the receiving dish. AT&T has not changed this to date and has shown no indication about providing the additional funding and training regarding the approved safety equipment in the future.

Hulu you pay for a streaming package, not specific channels. Plus not everyone has good enough internet, if internet at all, to support streaming in addition to whatever else their household may use. If it works for you, well have fun then.

And no, we will not cut your cable for you as we are customers like yourself. DirecTV will not uninstall anything either. If you wish to cancel you call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 and after your last day of service you take any boxes (receiver/client) you have (if returnable models) to a participating FedEx or UPS (not USPS) location for your free return. Everything else stays as once installed you own it.

Message 58 of 66
ACE - Expert

https://www.osha.gov/Publications/reducing-falls-during-residential-construction-re-roofing.html

It is not just the equipment but placing the anchor bolts new homes are being built with them. 

While this is about re-roofing it apples to all roof work.

Message 59 of 66
Teacher

Blah, blah, blah, I got it.

Thanks juniper. Thanks to you i’m already switching to Comcast.

Bye.

[Inappropriate content removed]

Message 60 of 66
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support