Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Technician will not get on roof

Contributor

Technician will not get on roof

Have an issue with the connection to my satellite dish which is not allowing me to get updated program information. The installer or technician came out to my property today to say that he's not allowed to step on the roof anymore. So this means that they won't remove the dish on my roof there still two previous dishes on my roof and they want to install a new dish to allow them to not leave the ladder. They used OSHA regulations as the reason why they can't get on any customers roof anymore, they can only do installations of new dishes from the ladder. This is totally unreasonable that they won't service their equipment or fix a simple issue. Anyone else having this issue and getting the run around? If not resolved I'm leaving Directv after 10 years at $200 a month.... Thoughts?

Message 1 of 66
Expert

Re: Technician will not get on roof

More and more shops are adopting this old policy.  you can call again in hopes you get an installer who wishes to violate their polices or allow them to install a new dish.

Message 2 of 66
Highlighted
Professor

The dishes are yours as will be the new dish to maintain and remove best to just remove the mast and leave the mounting plate.

Message 3 of 66
Expert

Did you attempt to negotiate a private agreement for removal of the old dishes?

Message 4 of 66

I am older than dirt and if it was me,  would just remove the two dishes U have,  or hire someone to do so and let them install on your facia board.  Much nicer when it is right there anyhow.  About every 4 months I check all my nuts and bolts on mine and after almost 7 years I have 10 transponders that show 100 on signal strength.  Little maintenance goes a long way. Best of luck.

Message 5 of 66
Contributor

I have been battling with DTV for nearly a year for this same issue. They have sent three different installers to my house and all have refused to do their jobs.

Talking to the service desk folks is useless.

Does anyone know if I can hire a third party contractor to do the upgrades ?  If so, how do I get this billed ?

I have been a DTV customer for nearly 20 years.  That doesn't matter at all to them though.....

Thanks

Carp.

Message 6 of 66
Expert
Solution
Accepted by Associated Member (Associated Member)
Accepted by rldvxi
‎11-20-2018 4:38 PM

They are NOT refusing to do their jobs, they ARE doing their jobs by following company policies.  You can have them relocate the dish to where it can be reach SAFELY or alternatively you can hire you own contractor but all expenses are out of your pocket.

Message 7 of 66
ACE - Expert

Contact local home theater installation companies.  Many of them also provide satellite TV installation services.  

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 8 of 66
Contributor

You clearly work for DTV.

DTV put the dish where it is now, not me.

And no, I have no intention of adding a third dish to my house.

So, I have obsolete equipment installed by DTV, that DTV refuses to upgrade.

Anyone have a useful comment?

Message 9 of 66
Expert

No, I don't.  I am just realistic.  While I understand DIRECTV® installed the dish there, policies have changed, and the techs must abide by those rules or risk loosing their jobs or even worst their lives!  If you don't want another dish, perhaps you can look into your cable company.  There are solutions that you are willing to take.

Message 10 of 66
Contributor

"there are solutions that you are willing to take"

No clue what that means, but it sounds like the DTV service desk talking...

Not everyone has cable available.

Getting as much help here as I get from Cx Svc.

Time to call DISH

Message 11 of 66
Expert

Sorry, that should have been

there are solutions that you are NOT willing to take

The dish can be relocated, but apparently you have refused.

Message 12 of 66
Professor

It is not just DTV, roofers also have to follow the new OSHA rules and I would bet Dish does too as insurance company's won't pay out when they find out that the OSHA rules were not followed.

Message 13 of 66
Contributor

DirecTV claims it is OSHA regulations, eventhough they installed our dish six months ago.  I have spoken to OSHA, who has informed my that is simply not true.  They have safety measure that roof workers must follow.  Common sense actually.  They must have safety gear, which may be a harness.  OSHA has no policy forbidding dish installers to get on the roof.  DIrecTV has once again misled consumers to get your business. Once they have you, they have all these rules to not supoort installs they have done.

Message 14 of 66
ACE - Expert

Have you seen the safety lines that have to be installed to use that harness? Regardless of OSHA if DTV says techs can't leave the ladder then they can't leave the ladder.

https://www.osha.gov/Publications/reducing-falls-roof-repair-factsheet.pdf

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 15 of 66
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support