Helpful Links

Splitting the 4K Genie Mini HDMI outputs

Tutor

Splitting the 4K Genie Mini HDMI outputs

I have a 4K Genie Mini that I want to split the output. I want to send one output to a 4K TV and the other output to a HDMI to Component convertor (for SlingBox). I purchased a CYELEE 1 in 2 Out 4K Splitter. But, when I send one of the outputs to my TV, the TV says the signal is HD and not UHD. CYELEE is not helpful at all, they say their splitter should work. But my TV doesn't lie. If I send the HDMI output directly out of the Genie to theTV, it says the signal is UHD. I'm willing to try and purchase another HDMI 4K splitter, but is there something that I'm missing here? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 10
Employee

Re: Splitting the 4K Genie Mini HDMI outputs

Welcome to the wonderful world of HDCP.  I'm not going to tell you how to defeat it, but you must have had some doubt that a $19.99 box was going to be able to pirate a 4K stream. 

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 10
Tutor

What do I need to do?

Message 3 of 10
ACE - Master

High-bandwith Digital Content Protection (HDCP) is not allowing this in order to prevent your tv content going to unauthorized devices. So HD and 4K (UHD) are not allowed to go to 3rd party devices. They are for going from your Directv to TV only.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 10
Tutor

the HD signal passes through the 4K splitter without any issues. It's the UHD signal that gets reduced to HD and that's the problem. So in this case, does HDCP allow HD signals to pass but not UHD?

Message 5 of 10
Highlighted
ACE - Master

Part of the 4K requirements of your TV is that is must support HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2. So if your splitter doesn't support both those, that would definitely be the problem. However HDCP is very touchy, and maybe more so when dealing with 4K, so there is never a guarantee that a splitter will work for this even if it supposedly matches the requirments. HDCP is essentially a "secret handshake" between devices and if there is one mess up in the chain, then it doesn't go through.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 10
Contributor

I  have the same issue. I used a n HDCP 2.2 compliant splitter and it  would not split the 4K signal.

Message 7 of 10
ACE - Master

everything in the chain must have the hdcp 2.2

Message 8 of 10
ACE - Expert

...and the splitter will only send one type of signal down both outputs. If one of the connections is regular 1080, both will be.

Message 9 of 10
Tutor

I ended purchasing a few splitters, but the only that worked for me is the Sewell 1x2 HDMI Splitter. You can find them on the web. It's not ideal, but the workaround is the only solution that I have found.

I've learned a lot about HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0 splitting during the process. 

One drawback of splitting HDCP 2.2, is the lower signal rule. I wanted to send one output directly to my TV, and the other output to my GANG-HU HDMI to Component Video convertor (which I use for my slingbox). Since the GANG-HU is not HDCP 2.2 compliant, the splitter will not pass UHD (4K) to my TV. But, if I disconnect the GANG-HU output of the splitter, I get UHD to the TV. So my workaround - I disconnect the GANG-HU whenever I want to watch UHD. It's not elegant, but hopefully as UHD (and HDR) expand to the home, a better solution will become available. Like a Dual Output Directv box!

I hope this helps.

Message 10 of 10
Share this topic
Announcements

Let us help you Give the Gift of AT&T Entertainment this holiday season!

Need immediate assistance with your bill or technical issue? Don’t wait, Click here to chat with us. You can also check out some helpful articles below!

Additional Support