Splitting the 4K Genie Mini HDMI outputs

Highlighted
Contributor

Splitting the 4K Genie Mini HDMI outputs

I have a 4K Genie Mini that I want to split the output. I want to send one output to a 4K TV and the other output to a HDMI to Component convertor (for SlingBox). I purchased a CYELEE 1 in 2 Out 4K Splitter. But, when I send one of the outputs to my TV, the TV says the signal is HD and not UHD. CYELEE is not helpful at all, they say their splitter should work. But my TV doesn't lie. If I send the HDMI output directly out of the Genie to theTV, it says the signal is UHD. I'm willing to try and purchase another HDMI 4K splitter, but is there something that I'm missing here? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 6
Employee

Re: Splitting the 4K Genie Mini HDMI outputs

Welcome to the wonderful world of HDCP.  I'm not going to tell you how to defeat it, but you must have had some doubt that a $19.99 box was going to be able to pirate a 4K stream. 

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 6
Contributor

What do I need to do?

Message 3 of 6
Professor

High-bandwith Digital Content Protection (HDCP) is not allowing this in order to prevent your tv content going to unauthorized devices. So HD and 4K (UHD) are not allowed to go to 3rd party devices. They are for going from your Directv to TV only.

Message 4 of 6
Contributor

the HD signal passes through the 4K splitter without any issues. It's the UHD signal that gets reduced to HD and that's the problem. So in this case, does HDCP allow HD signals to pass but not UHD?

Message 5 of 6
Professor

Part of the 4K requirements of your TV is that is must support HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2. So if your splitter doesn't support both those, that would definitely be the problem. However HDCP is very touchy, and maybe more so when dealing with 4K, so there is never a guarantee that a splitter will work for this even if it supposedly matches the requirments. HDCP is essentially a "secret handshake" between devices and if there is one mess up in the chain, then it doesn't go through.

Message 6 of 6
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Need immediate assistance with your bill or technical issue? Don’t wait, Click here to chat with us. You can also check out some helpful articles below!

Additional Support