Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Split signal with Genie?

Tutor

Split signal with Genie?

I recently upgraded to a Genie HR44-200 in my living room and a mini Genie C41-100 in my bedroom.  I used to have the signal from my living room split with a box so I could mirror the signal to my small kitchen TV.  The technician told me that I can't do that anymore because the main TV in the living room is connected via HDMI cables, so I won't be able to split the signal anymore.  (Same with the bedroom TV.) Is there any way that I can mirror the signal to my kitchen TV?  It's not an HDMI TV, it's one of those older "under the counter" mounted ones.  Or, if I were to upgrade to a small HDMI TV in my kitchen, would that be a better option to get the signal?  It's not worth the expense of buying another receiver or paying another monthly fee, but I sure do miss being able to watch the news while I cook. Any help would be appreciated!

Message 1 of 12
ACE - Expert

Re: Split signal with Genie?

If you already have a coax cable from the Living Room location to your kitchen TV, the easiest solution would be to use an "RF Modulator".   The RF Modulator connects to the HR44's Composite Video (yellow RCA cable) and analog audio (red/white RCA cable) outputs.  It then converts that signal to an RF signal on Ch3 or Ch4 to feed via coax to your kitchen TV.  You can buy them at places like Radio Shack and Best Buy.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 12
Tutor

I think that's how it was set up before - so yes, there is a coaxial cable between the two already with an RF modulator that the technician disconnected and told me I can't use anymore because he used an HDMI cable now, not coax.  Does that make sense?  (It didn't to me, but I'm not technical either...)

Message 3 of 12
Professor

You can still connect it that way but if you turn the main TV off the HDCP chain is broken and the Genie will pop up a warning message.

Message 4 of 12
Employee

Good point shannon!  another point is that the OP will need a component to composite adapter in or to avoid the "your cables are not are HD" OSD meesage

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 12
Tutor

Where could I get that adapter?  Thank you to everyone for your help!

Message 6 of 12
Employee

monoprice.com is a good place

**Click the "Helpful Answer" star on the left to say 'Thanks'**

***Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Correct' if it solves your problem.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 7 of 12
Tutor

Update:  Just re-connecting with e RF modulator, regular COAX and using Audio/Video cables that were hooked up previously worked perfectly.  I don't know why I didn't try to re-connect everything as it was sooner, except I thought the technician knew what he was talking about.  I don't get any error messages, I didn't need any other adapter, etc.  yay!

Message 8 of 12
Contributor

I have a direct line from the dish going into my mini genie. the genie has no output only input. What can I do?

Message 9 of 12
ACE - Expert

@rrbrown20 wrote:

I have a direct line from the dish going into my mini genie. the genie has no output only input. What can I do?

You're responding to a four year old thread.  Best to start your own new thread.  Tell us what equipment you currently have and what you're trying to do.  

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 10 of 12
Highlighted
Contributor

The coax cable from the dish on the roof is connected to my mini genie.I want to get the signal from the mini genie to another room with getting another cable box. the genie is the kitchen and its used all day .at night I want to watch tv in my bedroom.
Message 11 of 12
ACE - Expert

@rrbrown20 wrote:
The coax cable from the dish on the roof is connected to my mini genie.I want to get the signal from the mini genie to another room with getting another cable box. the genie is the kitchen and its used all day .at night I want to watch tv in my bedroom.

Do you already have the Genie Mini for the new room?  DirecTV will provide installation of that new Mini, along with the needed additional coax cable run.

Message 12 of 12
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support