Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Snow, Ice and your DIRECTV Dish

Community Support

Snow, Ice and your DIRECTV Dish

Cold Weather2.jpg

Are you concerned that snow and ice will interfere with your TV viewing? 

No worries; we’ve got you covered.

• DIRECTV Satellite Dishes are designed to prevent snow and ice accumulation on the surface of the dish. NO need for external devices or sprays!
  • Extensive testing has shown that dish covers are ineffective and might cause problems with signal reception.
  • DO NOT spray silicone, PAM or any slippery oily coating on your DIRECTV Dish. The chemicals in these substances can damage the surface.

What about locations with extreme wintry conditions?

• A dish heater can be used to prevent snow and ice accumulation on the dish.
  • What is a dish heater? It is a peel-and-stick adhesive that holds the heating element to the front of the dish.
  • You can purchase it online from satellitemart.com or cyberstore.com for approximately $80-$180.

NOTE:  DIRECTV Technicians do not install dish heaters.  Please hire a professional. 

DO NOT attempt to install it yourself.

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.
Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCares and @DIRECTVService

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 1 of 28
Highlighted
Community Support
Solution
Accepted by topic author Community Support
Accepted by ATTDIRECTVCare
‎08-03-2016 1:03 PM

Re: Snow, ice and your DIRECTV dish

If weather is causing loss of service, you do not have to miss out! Our members have the option to stream online content via a smart device or internet connection. Check out this article to learn more about the DIRECTV Everywhere app.

-ATTDIRECTVCare

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.
Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCares and @DIRECTVService

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 28
Contributor

How high should cable dish be above roof?  (clearance between roofing and bottom of dish and receiver)  Mine is only 2" and I suspect snow will build up in front of dish and around the receiver. I assume ice build up on dish and transmitter are not a problem?

Message 3 of 28
Expert

Yes, un-even snow build up on the reflector will affect your satellite reception

Message 4 of 28
Contributor

What height do you recommend dish be mounted above roof level
Message 5 of 28
ACE - Master

i recomend ground mounts.  much easier to remove snow/ice

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 28

You depend upon my ISP.  I have Verizon DSL because my HOA will not allow FIOS or anything other than Comcast into my cul-de-sac.  I am screwed if it snows.  I should never have to depend upon my ISP.  DSL is to slow.  I came up from 300 baud modems.  I know what I'm talking about. You are not going to help anyone and no one should ever have to depend upon their Internet Service Provider for a service they are paying for above and beyond your TV delivery.  I'm outta here as soon as my contract is up.  I have no choice but to return to the dreaded Comcast.  At least they have all the local secondary digital channels like MeTV and ThisTV and AntennaTV and Comet and all the other Baby Boomer channels.  Why not build in heaters that sense the temp and melt the snow?

Message 7 of 28
ACE - Expert

@NotYourBus, you can add your own dish heater if that's a concern for you.  Many part of the country don't need that, so why should DirecTV build it in?   

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 8 of 28
Scholar

Question:  What is a "CABLE" Dish ?  You have either Cable or a Satellite Dish

Next Question:  Why do you have your "RECEIVER"  OUTSIDE in the SNOW by the Dish ?

You are going to have a lot more problems than some snow accumulating on your Dish, when the Snow get into the Rceiver.  The Receiver goes IN-SIDE the House next to the TV

What does the "TRANSMITTER" do ?

The Transmitter is at DirecTV's Head End location, to Transmit the signal to the Satelite, then it is sent to your Dish.  

Ice and Snow build-up on the Dish will cause you to loose Signal.

It is MUCH easier to remove Snow from the Dish if is NOT mounted on the Roof. 

Move it to a convenient location you can reach without Breaking your NECK or something else when it Snows.

Message 9 of 28

Because I am paying for television which should not depend upon my ISP.  I do not have ATT internet and I won't.  It shouldn't matter.  If I am burried under 30" of snow, I should be able to watch TV.  What else are you going to do?  I should not have to own a ladder and get up on my roof to beat the snow down.  It's going to happen.  I live on the mid east coast.  It would cost pennies for DirectTV to place a small heater device into the shaft or dish itself.  It could cost me my life trying to beat off the snow from a ladder.  I pay for the service and none of the providers reduce the bill when service is lost for days or even weeks at a time.  I am willing to accept some outages; but not if it is easily and inexpensively preventable

Message 10 of 28
ACE - Expert

Like I said, you can buy your own dish heater.  

Message 11 of 28
ACE - Expert

@NotYourBus

You don't have to just rely on your ISP. Directv offers a backup that an all in one provider like most cable companies cannot. With cable, which provides both TV and internet, when it goes out that usually means both are down.

With Directv if for whatever reason live TV service is not working, if you have your HDDVR connected to your home internet, you have access to your On Demand channels. Also whatever you may had recorded as well. If there was a technical issue with the internet server, that does not affect your live TV from the satellite. Also you don't have to worry about your TV constantly sharing your internet bandwith, just the occasional usage with On Demand.

Message 12 of 28

Direct TV should build in heaters because many parts of the country do have issues with snow. Happy for you. But I think Direct TV would want to give the best customer service to all it's customers. Not just the ones in warmer climates.

Below was taken from an advertisement to get you to go with AT&T/Direct TV"

Get peace of mind with DIRECTV.

Stop settling for cable. DIRECTV is #1 in Customer Satisfaction compared to all other major cable
and satellite providers7. And with our 99% worry-free signal reliability, you get a TV experience
you can depend on. Plus, DIRECTV has been named as an ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year for the
3rd year in a row.

So I would like some of that 99% worry-free signal reliability with a TV experience I can depend on. I am just 3 months into a 2 year contract with AT&T/Direct TV and the very first little snow we had shut the satellite dish down. I was told by tech support I needed "Dish Hitters"!?! that could be bought by me at the local hardware store. Eventually figured out it was a dish HEATER I needed. Not only am I expected to buy this heater at around $189, I am to find and hire someone to go on the roof and attach said heater to the dish. This seems very wrong on several levels...Direct TV does not want anyone messing with their equipment but i was just told to have an outside party do the service. Also recommended spraying the satellite with something to make it slippery, also not recommended by Direct TV but that was the advice they gave me.

When I questioned why I would have to buy the heater and find someone to put it up with my own money to make the service they promised function there was not a good answer. Crediting me for every day my service does not work because of bad weather is not an option. Watching on my iPad is an option not an answer. It was meant to be a perk not a work around. So while I can crowd everyone around iPad, and get to hunt up everyone of the lost recordings (remember I am able to record 4 programs at a time, more than the other services) when I do have TV, I don't find that I am getting the same level of service as customers in warmer climates. I am sure they now we get snow here. They have ERROR 771 all ready to go. I would feel better if all satellite dishes in cold climates came with heaters and uninterrupted service. So to answer why should they add heaters if you don't need one? Because some of us do. They could make two models. One with a heater and one without.

Natasha is going to check into heater reimbursement for purchase and installations. She will even check if their own technicians could install them. Which sounds more reasonable when in contract and policies it says I should not mess with the equipment.

Message 13 of 28
ACE - Expert

Only the receivers are DTVs everything else is yours and you get alot for a free install and you want a heater too. You can get DTV back out to install a dish on a pole in the ground if possible or use a supersoaker filled with warm water.

Message 14 of 28
Contributor

Re: Snow, Ice and your DIRECTV Dish

When ever it snow I on unable to watch tv no error code 779
Message 15 of 28
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support