Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Snow Covered Dish

Highlighted
Tutor

Snow Covered Dish

Had a snowstorm last night, haven't had reception for over 24 hours now.   I've been told Directv won't come and clear the snow as part of their service.  Is this true?   It's a two story house and I don't have a ladder big enough to get on the roof and even if I did I'm not risking my life to do it.   My question is what do you suggest I do?   Am I just suppose to  wait till spring?

Message 1 of 36
ACE - Expert

Re: Snow Covered Dish

True.  They won't send a service tech to clear your dish.   You might be able to do it yourself using a kid's "Sooper Soaker" style squirt gun with warm water.   

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 36
Expert

Right, DirecTV wont come to clear the snow off the dish for safety reasons.  usually the snow melts the next morning, if not, you can use a supper soaker filled with warm water to clear the snow of the dish.

Message 3 of 36
Tutor

That's seriously your advice buy a super soaker?  How about you send a service tech with a super soaker out?   Will you send a service tech out to take it off my roof when I switch to Cable tomorrow?      Cause if it's not working by tomorrow that's what I'm doing, I'm not going threw this every time it snows.

Message 4 of 36
ACE - Expert

Please realize we don't work for DirecTV. We're customers like you.  Ideally your dish would have been installed low enough so that you could easily remove the snow with long broom.   And you might want to call and have DirecTV send someone to do that at some point.  But they won't send a tech just to clear snow off of your dish.  And yes, seriously, a sooper soaker with warm water works quite well.   Fortunately, it's usually only the season's first wet snow that causes these problems.  Dry snow won't collect on the dish and blows off easily. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 36
Tutor

I got ya, appreciate your guys help, thought you were directv employeeds, but I think it's a little ridiculous that their policy is fix it yourself or wait for it to melt.

One more thing is their a way to stop it searching for the satelite, cause I got a ton of stuffed DVRed that I could watch. Everytime I start it up It searches for satelite and I can start up a show on my DVR, after 5 minutes or so it resets itself and starts up the searching for satelite process again.  Is their away to stop this and be able to just watch what's on my DVR without it resetting itself every 5 minutes.

Message 6 of 36
Expert

When you have a working DVR through a storm and you loose signal, you NEVER want to reset the DVR.  When the receiver loses signal you can still watch DVR content UNLESS you reset it.  once the receiver is reset, it needs to acquire info from the satellite and until it does, the receiver would not work at all.

Message 7 of 36
Contributor

I came up with the ultimate solution to this problem when i lived in Klamath Falls Oregon. I went to our local pet store, bought an under tank heater, it comes with a sticky pad on it. I stuck it to the back of my dish after cleaning the dish with alcohol, come winter i plug it in, it warms up the dish and no more snow problems.

Message 8 of 36
Scholar

So tim, you won't risk your life and safety climbing a ladder on a snowy roof butbit is okay for someone else to take the risk. Who cares about them right? The first few snows are the worst until the dish becomes "acclimated" to the weather and yes a super soaker works great. By the time a tech could get there the snow may be gone off the dish
Message 9 of 36
Tutor

Yes, that's what I'm saying who cares about them, they told me to go up on my roof and that's how to fix the problem.  So I guess their saying who cares about me.   I wouldn't go up on my roof at any point snow or not, I'm not physically able to and not directv tech who does it everyday.   I'm not asking anybody to risk their life, but I think it's ridiculous that a company this big doesn't have a solution to this problem that I'm sure happens to a ton of customers everyday.   

Message 10 of 36

I take it this is your first snow with sat service.    There are heater devices  avalable for the dish that all you have to do is plug them in.

Contact a local DTV dearler, ask them to order a heater pad and come and install it.  Pads cost about $50.00 and what ever the install change is then you never have to worry about it.

Message 11 of 36
Tutor

Day 3 still no service, just looked at the dish and it's still fully covered and the sun hasn't made a dent in it in 2 days.   Called satelite city about this heating pad and they said they've gotten 200 calls in the last 2 days they don't sell it and they don't know who would.   They said they'd clear it for me if it'd bought directv from them(wish i knew that), but they are backed up till January anyways, and cost $100 to  hire them to do it.   Wish I was giving the option to buy this heating pad when I installed directv.

As far as the super soaker I looked into it and apparently they don't make them anymore.  At least not like they used to cause they are to "dangerous" for children.    It  claimed to shoot 25 feet and shot about ten..    I checked on ebay and the old larari super soaker50 was 65 bucks and the 150 I think was like $140.   I might purchase the 50, but I don't even think it will shoot that far so not sure if I want to waste my money.   Would the larari do the trick anybody know?  I need to shoot about 35 to 40 feet and still have enough pressure to take 2 inches of snow off. Or does  anybody know a reasonable priced super soaker that would work?

Or does anybody else have any other suggestions, looking at it looks like the sun got a lot of work to do and it could be a long time before it melts.    I

I'm very frustrated if you can't tell by my posts, but I do appreciate everybody's suggestions and if you got anymore ideas I'd love to hear them.

Message 12 of 36
ACE - Expert

Found this

http://www.amazon.com/Nerf-Super-Soaker-Hydro-Cannon/dp/B00416OVUY/ref=sr_1_9?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1356148658&sr=1-9&keywords=super+soaker 

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
Message 13 of 36

If you are concerned that much with snow you should have a hotshot dish heater google it and have a contractor come out and install it for you as DTV will not do it for you directly.

Message 14 of 36
ACE - Expert

http://www.amazon.com/HotShot-Satellite-Dish-Heater-Dishes/dp/B0045G2C4W

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
Message 15 of 36
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support