Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Satellite dish on roof

Satellite dish on roof

• I have been told by a Direct TV technician that they no longer service dishes on roofs. Mine has been on roof for 10 years and have not received any word from DirectTV that they do not service roof top units now.  I contacted MasTec who is the service company for Direct and was told that was correct but did not offer any suggestions as to action. Suggestions appreciated.
Message 1 of 20
ACE - Master

Re: Satellite dish on roof

what do you need?

a new dish can be installed if needed

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 20

Wish to get dish relocated before have issue and have to wait days out of service. MasTec nomhelp. Does Direct TV do this (I have service contract).
Message 3 of 20
ACE - Master

call csutomer service, request a relocation.

there could be a fee, it will depend on what is needed.

remember this is not a warranty, but a requested change on your end.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 20

They changed rules and will not allow techs on roof. It’s not like I want it moved to accommodate me or esthetics. Was wondering if others had experienced this and who to contact regarding this issue.
Thank you for your prompt, courteous reply.
Message 5 of 20
ACE - Master

they updated the rules to conform to OSHA regulations.

it was done several years ago

they can service the dish if they can reach it from the ladder.  techs may no longer leave the ladder without osha approved fall protection in place.

if its not broke why mess with it?

i could see wanting a move it the dish had issues, or needed an upgrade.

Message 6 of 20

I totally agree and understand the safety issue. However I was not notified of the change or what to do. Do not feel I should have to pay for relocation.
Message 7 of 20
ACE - Master

if your not having any issues atm, then the change you are requesting is not needed.

maybe if there was a problem there wouldnt be a charge

you will not know until you call and ask

Message 8 of 20

Thanks for help, you’ve cleared up some questions and I appreciate your time. I was trying to be proactive instead of reactive so if/when an issue occurs and not having to wait for relocation etc and loss of service for awhile. I’ll settle in for an hour or two and contact customer service and be subjected to holds, transfers etc.
Thank you again.
Message 9 of 20
ACE - Expert

If receiving dish is not within reach of a ladder, then per Federal regulations (OSHA) which changed a few years ago, DirecTV cannot touch it as would require additional special safety equipment upon leaving the ladder. DirecTV stays in compliance by not letting their techs leave the ladder. Unfortunately there are many older installs that are affected by this change.

DirecTV cannot relocate the dish if they cannot reach it for service. So either you find a 3rd party contractor to relocate the dish or contact DirecTV to install a new dish in a serviceable location.

However, having an older install (10 years) there might be an alternative option that would cover costs because of the required MPEG swap situation. What receiving dish do you have and what are the models of your boxes? This may result in a new dish being needed anyway free of charge.

Message 10 of 20

Thanks for your prompt reply. I not know what model dish on roof. I'm sure it is in my Direct TV records. So far as receivers they were replaced Jan 9, 2019 after Direct informed mey old ones would no longer work with new satellites. It was on that date the tech informed me as to the "ladder" rule. I am trying to be proactive instead of reactive on getting it relocated to comply with new rule and not lose service for days if/when dish issue occur.
Message 11 of 20
ACE - Expert

@Beachparker 

DirecTV has been replacing MPEG-2 (SD only) equipment with MPEG-4 (SD and HD capable) as the last of the old feeds start shutting down April 2019. Though it would be odd to have a MPEG-4 dish but MPEG-2 boxes, unless you had a mix of boxes so only some needed replacing. What were the models of boxes replaced?

In that case your situation about relocate is completely optional. Choice would be to find a 3rd party to move the dish, or order a new dish installed by DirecTV.

Message 12 of 20

I’m out of town and away from boxes at this moment. They are the ones that have the whole house genie. MasTec informed me to get a roofer to relocate but how are they to have cables, know site orientation etc. Since ATT took over Direct TV there has been nothing but nightmares with billing, new receivers, incompetent customer support, hours of hold time, transfers etc etc etc. And numerous friends are dealing with the same.  Dish Network looking more more, and more appealing.

Message 13 of 20

I’m out of town and away from boxes at this moment. They are the ones that have the whole house genie. MasTec informed me to get a roofer to relocate but how are they to have cables, know site orientation etc. Since ATT took over Direct TV there has been nothing but nightmares with billing, new receivers, incompetent customer support, hours of hold time, transfers etc etc etc. And numerous friends are dealing with the same. Dish Network looking more more, and more appealing.
Message 14 of 20
ACE - Expert

The regular Genie line (HR34, HR44, HR54) can work with other HDDVRs (including special R22) and HD non-DVRs. Great way to increase tuners, recording space, and reliability. So I hope no HDDVRs were replaced with Mini Genie Clients as those were fully compatible for Whole Home DVR and MPEG-4.

If you still have the old boxes and they are compatible models then I would see about having them reactivated on the account in place of the Mini Genie Clients so you get the most capability out of your system. There is no monthly cost difference between Client and full receiver.

Unless you were unfortunate to get the Genie-2 (HS17). This system forbids HDDVRs being on the account, pushing for a Client only system which by design is not as reliable as full dedicated boxes. Plus post launch bugs not fully squashed. 

Message 15 of 20
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support