Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Roof Damage from DirecTv Installation

Roof Damage from DirecTv Installation

I had DIRECTV installed at my mother's in March of last year (2017). Earlier this year she informed me she had leaks on her roof. Roofers came out and they told her it's the DirecTV installation that's causing the issue. I am having a service person come out today and move the dish.

The roofer told her he was surprised they installed it up there since he said he had several clients that filed lawsuits against directv for this very thing.

I came to the forums and lo and behold I see many of the same issue.

How do I go about filing a claim? Her roof is near collapse so she's already hired a roofer and having to replace everything (this is on a trailer type, 3 bedroom home). Does AT&T have to hire the person to replace it? She's taking photos of everything, but she can't wait to fix it because the roof is in danger of falling in on the home.

Any suggestions of how I can proceed with this? I read of someone else's roof caving in on here and I am not going to risk her life by holding off on repairs so AT&T can authorize.

Message 1 of 9
Mentor

Re: Roof Damage from DirecTv Installation

Hello @DrSherlockHouse.

This can and does happen.  There is an excellent forum's post to help track a claim filed by an AT&T representative or file a new claim. 

Good luck!

R.

Message 2 of 9
Employee

its on the verge of collapse because of the dish ?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THE FOLLOWING IS INCLUDED WITH EACH POST

While AT&T employees do look at forum posts from time to time, we are here to represent the forum with our experiences as customers on our own time and do not represent AT&T in any official capacity with our responses.
*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 9
ACE - Expert

Your mother owns the dish and DTV will not remove it.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 9

It’s a small roof. The water damage has become extreme. The entire roof wouldn’t come down, but where the dish is could collapse the area above her shower and bedroom.
Message 5 of 9
Employee

and how long ago was this installed?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THE FOLLOWING IS INCLUDED WITH EACH POST

While AT&T employees do look at forum posts from time to time, we are here to represent the forum with our experiences as customers on our own time and do not represent AT&T in any official capacity with our responses.
*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 9

The dish was installed March of 2017. I contacted ditetctv. I explained the issue. They said they would come out and move the dish. They will be there sometime in the next 2 hours.

The roofer said they could not repair until the dish was moved since it is what has caused the damage.

I will pay whatever it takes to get it moved and then the roof will get fixed.

I just am curious what my next steps are since we were told the dish had to go where they put it and I’m reading in several forums that that is not correct and directv is already dealing with lawsuits and claims because of roof damage caused by their equipment.

The roofer identified it immediately and said he was surprised they even tried to put it on the roof at all since they have been dealing with these claims for years.
Message 7 of 9

I contacted DirecTV about this and they agreed to send a technician out. They gave me a window of 12 to 4. I received a text at 3:00 saying they were going to be delayed. Around 4:30 I received a call from the technician saying he was 30 minutes away. DirecTV had given him ZERO information about why he was going out there. He also seemed annoyed because they should have a sent a tech to meet the promised window of time, but they kept him on the ticket. He arrived after 5, an hour past the end of the window they were supposed to arrive in, and I had to explain everything I told them on the call. He didn't have the pole or concrete since he was never told what the call was about, so we had to move the dish to the side of the home.

There was another issue that needed looking at, but because it was so late and getting dark, my mother didn't bring it up. Now I need to start the claim process. Any suggestions? Is it complicated? Has anyone else had this issue? And what kind of company blindly sends a technician out without telling them what the problem is? What if the side of the home is damaged in the same way?

Message 8 of 9

@DrSherlockHouse wrote:

I contacted DirecTV about this and they agreed to send a technician out. They gave me a window of 12 to 4. I received a text at 3:00 saying they were going to be delayed. Around 4:30 I received a call from the technician saying he was 30 minutes away. DirecTV had given him ZERO information about why he was going out there. He also seemed annoyed because they should have a sent a tech to meet the promised window of time, but they kept him on the ticket. He arrived after 5, an hour past the end of the window they were supposed to arrive in, and I had to explain everything I told them on the call. He didn't have the pole or concrete since he was never told what the call was about, so we had to move the dish to the side of the home.

There was another issue that needed looking at, but because it was so late and getting dark, my mother didn't bring it up. Now I need to start the claim process. Any suggestions? Is it complicated? Has anyone else had this issue? And what kind of company blindly sends a technician out without telling them what the problem is? What if the side of the home is damaged in the same way?

Message 9 of 9
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support