Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Roof Damage Due to Satellite Installation

Contributor

Roof Damage Due to Satellite Installation

I have water damage to my roof where my dish is mounted. I need to remove the dish so the repairs can be made, but do not want the dish to be mounted on the roof after doing so. I am being told by Directv that I will need to pay to have the have the dish mounted in an alternate location. Has anyone gone through this with Directv? Is Directv responsible for water damage caused by the roof install?

Message 1 of 17
Expert

Re: Roof Damage Due to Satellite Installation

Correct, there is a relocation fee of your dish of $49.00, plus there may be a custom fee of $75.00 if you choose to have the dish mounted on a pole in the ground. Regarding the damage, there are many factors, but if you can proof negligence on DIRECTV's part then most likely they have to cover the damage, this is my opinion, not DIRECTV's or ATT.  

Your best bet is to call DIRECTV and start a damage claim porocess.  Once the process is started, they can let you know if it will be aproved or deny

Message 2 of 17
Contributor

We are having a new roof installed and I didn,t want the dish remounted on my roof.

I purchased a "Under Eave" mount on Amazon (Direct TV product), when the tech came out to relocate my dish he said they typically don't use those mounts anymore and wanted to mount it on a pole in the ground which I refused (easier for him).

He installed my mount and everything came out fine -this is a good option, no holes in your roof or obstacles in your yard.

I did have to pay the $49.00 for the relocation which isn't bad also not going to be able to achieve the alignment and good as they can with their meter.

Message 3 of 17
ACE - Master

i always prefer ground mounts.

much easier to clean a dish if it snows

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 17
Contributor

I am having my house sided and the damage to the roof fixed. I have no desire to attach the dish to my house going forward and will go with a pole mount. I would not have given Directv permission to mount the dish to my roof in the first place. When I moved to the house I mounted the dish to my chimney. Directv came out to upgrade the dish and next thing I know, I have a dish mounted to my roof. I live in a windy area and with the current size of the dishes, I would have opted for an additional location in order to keep the stress off of my roof. I was also informed that in addition to the $49 fee for scheduling a technician I would also need to pay additional to relocate the dish. I am very dissapointed with the response I received from customer service and don't think that I am asking too much of them. Before ATT took over, the fact that I have been loyal to Directv for 20 years actually meant something.

Message 5 of 17
Contributor

Do not install on your roof.  They installed on my new roof and two years later on Wednesday my ceiling in my bedroom fell in on my head and I am 65 years old.  Evidently the installer used very large screws and did not waterproof or do anything else and there was a slow leak in the roof.  It eventually rotted my roof and soaked thru all the insulation and sheetrock in my bedroom. It got so waterlogged with all the rain recently I guess the weight caused the ceiling to fall.  I contacted Direct TV and they were no help at all.  I finally contacted ATT and they filed a claim with Sedgwick and said an appraiser would contact me. Being on a fixed income I can't afford to have a large repair bill.  You can see the leak around the zcrews in the roof and mold growing so that is also a concern.    I hope someone from this claim company will contact me soon.  There is the hurricane coming thru today and tomorrow so I guess I will be catching water for next two days.  I[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]. Customers have no idea this type of thing will happen. They are the experts and if this is happening over and over it should be a concern of ATT's risk management department. 

Message 6 of 17
Contributor

Be sure to take pictures of damages incase if it goes to insurance. Prior to this, after filing a claims damage through directv have one of their field supervisors to come over also for inspection. I originally wanted a roof mount but keep in mind due to satellites position and other factors such as trees or buildings, other objects can affect the signal, in my case i had to have it installed in my yard on the ground with a solid pole, was professionally done. The technician searched signal all over my roof, nada, then we searched around the back yard, my neighbors maple tree was making me worried, but finally found signal in one perfect corner. I made sure it was dug in deep and as of now with hurricane Matthew blowing by and after inspecting everything all equipment seems to held up good. On any roof mounting it's our responsiblity after the installation to reseal the holes made by any screws or nails to prevent future leaks. And even after any installs during rainy season to inspect once in awhile in attacts for any leakage that needs attention. Hope things work out, i'm pretty happy with the service excluding on cloudy days.

Message 7 of 17
Contributor

hi; the same happens to me,the dish made water will damage my porch roof. I changed it to the side of the house everything was fine, It has good reception but the unfortunate the technicians supervisor. He decided that the dish had to be on the roof of the house and not on the side of the house, and I refuse to put it on the roof He decided that I no longer have directv service.   if I allows to put it on the roof He connect the  service back   he believe that it is cheap to put a roof  I  pay thousands  to repair what damage the dish made I am very, very dissapointed, and angry.

[Inappropriate content removed]

Message 8 of 17
Contributor

Yes I took pictures. Since I had a new roof, I asked that they use the
current dish on my fireplace but they said they couldn't. I asked if it
would damage my roof and of course they said it wouldn't. Said since I had
shingles the roof would be fine. I still have my original dish on the
fireplace as well as the dish they installed.
Message 9 of 17
Contributor

i had my satellite relocated also and they left the metal bracket from the old dish and subsequently  leaked water under the shingles with resulting wood damage . the new location also has a crater around it where the waterleaked around unsealed screw holes. i am going to call them and pursue a claim as the other person on this blog suggested. Luckily its not the main roof and its the front porch, but eventually it will sag and collapse if not repaired. why dont they train their installers to seal the screws  to avoid water damage.??

Message 10 of 17
Highlighted

They didn't damage our roof but they damaged our chimney which is only about 10-12 " from where the dish is placed.  We filed a claim and after 8 months of being put off from one person to another, the "3rd party" decided Directv was not responsible.  So now every time it rains, it comes in through the fireplace.  We had on leaks and no stones missing from chimney until they installed their dish but they get away with not fixing it.

Message 11 of 17
Contributor

I dont give a rats {edited for word filter evasion} if they think they can charge me to relocate the dish on the same property. They will be paying for damage to my flooring and for the dish to be relocated [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]. It’s their dumb technicians fault so I dont think I’ll be paying for any of that. I just Moved in this house when we got direct tv no issues lately with all the rain and it building up from where the dish is they put it right in the crack. Water is sleeping through the crack and sleeping through the wall to the floor in the bedroom below it. They will be paying for all damages! Best believe it. Anyone who tries to tell me to pay x amount of dollars is sadly mistaken! 

Message 12 of 17
ACE - Expert

@Mthompson1207 wrote:

I dont give a rats {edited for word filter evasion} if they think they can charge me to relocate the dish on the same property. They will be paying for damage to my flooring and for the dish to be relocated [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]. It’s their dumb technicians fault so I dont think I’ll be paying for any of that. I just Moved in this house when we got direct tv no issues lately with all the rain and it building up from where the dish is they put it right in the crack. Water is sleeping through the crack and sleeping through the wall to the floor in the bedroom below it. They will be paying for all damages! Best believe it. Anyone who tries to tell me to pay x amount of dollars is sadly mistaken! 

I trust you've called DirecTV and started the process to file a damage claim?

1 800 531 5000

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 13 of 17
Contributor

That’s absolutely dumb. Why charge people for damage you’ve caused?? I am dealing with damage to my roof and floor because of the way my dish is mounted. I have been in contact with them they say I’ll get credit on my bill for when I pay to move it and they reimburse me. Excuse me? No if I pay to move it the refund should be back to my card not an acct credit. When my damage claim is processed they can stick the dish where the sun doesn’t shine because they’ll be canceling my services for free!!!! 

Message 14 of 17
Contributor

DirecTV installed the dish on my roof and appeared to have done a good job.  Months passed and the rainy snow season began, and sure enough, leaked through my roof!  They sent an "inspector" only to deny my claim, stating my roof was "previously damaged."  My house was built in '99, so no, it wasnt the roof.  Needless to say, they denied the claim,  even after the evidence that the leak source is directly above the dish.  Ask them to install on the chimney or a pole and see if you can get a supervisor to waive the ridiculous $79 "custom installation" pole charge unless you want indoor rain and thousands of dollars in damages.

Message 15 of 17
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support