Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Replacement Satellite dish

Scholar

Replacement Satellite dish

I have been a DTV customer for 3 years and had the Slimline dish for HD programming. 

Recently my dish was stolen. I called DTV and they will be sending a tech out tomorrow to replace it. They didn’t ask what type of dish I had already, etc. (I’m sure they have that on my account), so I was wondering: 

Does anyone know if the replacement dish will be the most up-to-date dish that will support 4K when I eventually upgrade? Is there a specific dish I should ask the installer or CSR for, or are all dish replacements the latest versions? I understand that merely the dish itself is not enough to get 4K programming, but I intend on upgrading in the near future and, as long as the actual dish is being replaced now, might as well be sure it’s the newest one to avoid having to change that out again in a couple of months. 

Any help is very much appreciated. 

Message 1 of 8
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by WRJW971
‎11-17-2017 12:58 AM

Re: Replacement Satellite dish

The slimline dish hasn't changed since they started HD only the LNB has changed, if the tech has a RBLNB they will install it if not it will be install when it is needed for the new 4K channels that will be coming online as it is not needed to get the 3 current 4K channels.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 8
Scholar

Thank you for your reply, Shannon. Should I ask the tech who comes to ensure he puts the RBLNB on?

The reason I ask is this: my building has very specific requirements as to where the satellite can be located and that is on the highest point on the roof (2 story MDU). So far, I’m having a bear of a time getting an installer to place it there as they say AT&T does not let them get off the ladder (even though literally every other DirecTV dish in the community is at the highest point—in other words, those installers did). So I guess the point I’m making is, if an LNB needs to be changed/added in the future for 4K, I may run into the same problem getting an installer up there, which is why I’d like it done now if possible to alleviate that potential future problem.

Message 3 of 8
ACE - Expert

The fact that you live in a multi-dwelling unit may be an issue.  Many MDU's contract with private companies to provide DirecTV services, rather than directly with DirecTV.  Hopefully yours isn't one of them.  And, of course, the ladder issue could be a problem. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 8
ACE - Expert

It was OSHA that mandates that techs can't leave the ladder without proper safety equipment so AT&T/DTV have issued rules that techs can't leave the ladder so they don't need to provide the safety equipment or the anchors that are needed to use it . Per OTARD MDUs can't stop dish installs in places under your exclusive control like patios/balconies. 

Message 5 of 8
Scholar

A huge thanks to Shannon and Litzdog for their help. I got accomplished what I wanted accomplished only because of you guys. I asked the tech who came if he had an RBLNB and he did. Now, when I finally get everything off my DVR (lol) I can upgrade to 4K without the tech even having to move his ladder off the truck.

I hope to be a regular contributor to this board in the future. I have been an avid reader and learned a lot. 

Thank you again. 

Message 6 of 8
ACE - Expert

You're very welcome.  Enjoy!

Message 7 of 8
ACE - Expert

You are welcome.

Message 8 of 8
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support