Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Remote (RC73) will not control Soundbar (SB3821-C6)

Remote (RC73) will not control Soundbar (SB3821-C6)

First, to tell you what is working correctly.....

In my Office I have a Genie "Mini" (C4TW-500) connected via HDMI Cable to a Samsung TV.  Then via an Optical Audio Connection the Samsung TV is connected to a Vizio Soundbar (SB3821-C6).   Out of the box, I plugged everything up and it worked perfectly.  To program the DTV Remote (RC73) I simply went to SETTINGS & HELP --> SETTINGS --> REMOTE CONTROL -->PAIR/PROGRAM REMOTE -->SETUP TV and then I used the prompts to enter in my TV Model Number, and it worked perfectly.  I then went through the same steps again except this time after PAIR/PROGRAM REMOTE ---> SETUP AUDIO DEVICE and then I used the prompts to enter in my SB3821-C6 Sound Bar.  Immediately, I could control the DTV features, the Power ON/OFF on my Television, plus the Power, Volume and Mute on my Soundbar.

It was right about now that I thought to myself, "Self, you are a Tech Genius".  Needless to say, the Tech Gods decided that I was being quite to full of myself so they decided to teach me a lesson.

In my Master Bedroom, I setup the exact same setup except it is the Main Genie box.  So I have a Genie (HR44-200)  connected via HDMI Cable to a Samsung TV.  Then via an Optical Audio Connection the Samsung TV is connected to a Vizio Soundbar (SB3821-C6).   To program the DTV Remote (RC73) I simply went to SETTINGS & HELP --> SETTINGS --> REMOTE CONTROL -->PAIR/PROGRAM REMOTE -->SETUP TV  and this is where things began to go bad.  This time when I used the prompts to enter in my Samsung TV the Model Number of my TV was not in the list.  So I went out onto the internet and I found some codes and I programmed it the "old fashioned way".  I held MUTE-SELECT waited for 2 flashing lights, and entered the code (pausing after the first digit) and VIOLA, the TV was now being controlled by the Remote.  I was able to adjust the Volume, Mute, Power, and DTV functions from the one remote.  It was about this time that I said to myself "Self, the Tech Gods tried to throw you a curveball but you got them good this time!!"

Needless to say the Tech Gods REALLY did not appreciate that because....this time when I went to SETTINGS & HELP --> SETTINGS --> REMOTE CONTROL -->PAIR/PROGRAM REMOTE -->SETUP AUDIO DEVICE and I used the prompts to enter in my Vizio SB3832-C6 Sound Bar, it was not in the list.  I looked for codes all over for it, but nothing works. 

Here is what I really do not understand...why does the Mini (C4TW-500) have all of my TVs and SoundBars already pre-programmed in but the Main Genie (HR44-200) does not??

Anyone know how I can get the remote to work with that Soundbar on the Genie just like it works on the Mini?

Thanks!

Tony

Message 1 of 12
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by TonyMintheATL
‎08-23-2017 2:28 PM

Re: Remote (RC73) will not control Soundbar (SB3821-C6)

For anyone that cares, I finally figured out what the problem was.  I was actually putting in a correct code for the SoundBar but it would "forget it" after I left the setup screen so I assumed that I was not using the correct code.  There is another option there that you can set the VOLUME LOCK: Audio which locks the volume controls to the Audio Device.  When I did that, it worked like a champ.

Thanks anyway, guys!

Tags (1)
Message 2 of 12
ACE - Expert

Glad both your C41W and HR44 are working ok now. Connections can be hit and miss with soundbars as they are designed to connect directly to the tv instead, but glad yours is fine now.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 12
Tutor

I am trying to set my Vizio sound bar up the same way that Tony did. My Genie and TV are connected via HDMI. My Vizio sound bar is connected with the optical cable.  When I go to the RC73 remote setup, the only option that I see under Pari/Program Remote is Program TV.  I can’t figure out how to add/pair the audio device.

Any ideas?

Message 4 of 12
ACE - Professor

It won't work using an optical cable -you will still need to use your tv remote for that to work.

If the sound bar was connected by HDMI then it might be possible

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 12

Hey TampaCB  (I love Tampa, by the way.  As a single guy some years ago it was a great place to visit...but, I digress).....

In my house I have 5 TVs that are all Samsung and all use the exact same Vizio Soundbar and they are all setup the same way.  One of them uses the Genie (HR44-200) and the other four use a Genie Mini (C4TW-500).  The Soundbar is connected directly to the TV using the Optical Audio Cable and I can use the RC73 remote to control it with no problem.  I am puzzled by why your DTV Software would not even give you the option.  Are you using a different DTV box with different software, by chance?  Maybe one of the experts here can help you more.

Message 6 of 12
Tutor

Hi goldw1800,  My setup sounds just like TonyMintheATL’s from the original post in this thread. TV to Genie with HDMI, and TV to sound bar with optical.  I just don’t see the setup choices that he has.

Message 7 of 12
Tutor

Thanks TonyM.  I thought that your original post was the solution to my issue. I have 3 TVs, 1 Genie and 2 Minis. I am trying to configure the sound bar to one of the Minis. I’m not sure what version of software is running on the Mini.  Is it possible to update/upgrade? 

Message 8 of 12
ACE - Expert

You have to program a TV before it will go to audio setup.

Message 9 of 12
Tutor

Solved: I got the answer in a chat w/DirecTV. My remote is RC73.  There is a newer software version RC73B that is compatible with the sound bar.  They are sending me the newer one to replace my current remote.  I assume that the new one will work like TonyMintheATl’s.

Case closed.

Message 10 of 12
Contributor

Hello can someone help me I tried everything to program my genie rc73 remote control to my samsung surround sound system model HW-K450 and I already called Direct Tv for help and he couldt help me

Message 11 of 12
Contributor

I have a Samsung TV & Audio Bar / Subwoofer. I’ve tried other suggestions from Samsung & DIRECTV - which created audio issues, power issues, and repeated configurations / set ups - I resolved connection issues by upgrading my HDMI cords for good measure at $8 each for 4 ft. ones using HDMI ARC TV port & “in” and “out” on sound bar for connection.
1.) DIRECTV is connected to ARC TV port
2.) Sound bar is connected to HDMI 1 and sound bar “OUT” port - sounds odd but works well
I use other sound bar port “IN” for blue ray player. With power off, connect all and power each on. Using DIRECTV remote - press Menu to program all devices - both TV and Audio was detected and listed without using codes. I use “Smart Sound ON” for best results. Smart Sound is activated by pressing “sound effect” and holding for 5-10 seconds with sound bar remote. My DIRECTV remote powers all three off and on and functions well. Any other setup would create issues with one device or the other. It’s not how Samsung suggests the ARC to work but is how my DIRECTV works with Samsung. Hope this helps you. It can be very frustrating.

Message 12 of 12
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support