Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Rapidly flashing green light on Genie RC73 remote - Can't reprogram!

Highlighted
Teacher

Rapidly flashing green light on Genie RC73 remote - Can't reprogram!

My son dropped our new Genie remote, the battery cover popped off, batteries fell out.  I replaced batteries (correctly) and the LED light goes into rapid flashing.  I've tried all of the reset solutions I've found under "troubleshooting" -- including doing a reset on the cable box -- but no luck.  I can't get the remote to do anything beyond the rapid-fire flashing LED light (which goes off when I push ANY remote button)

EDIT:  My Directv was just installed a few days ago.  I'm using the RC73 remote which was properly programmed when the installer left.  

If I pull a battery and then immediately reconnect it, the rapid flashing LED light is activated on the remote, and a menu banner appears on the TV.  I cannot access the menu choices, however, because as soon as I select ANY button on the remote, the menu banner disappears and nothing else happens.  

When I get the rapidly flashing lights, I've tried:

holding mute+select

holding mute+enter

holding power "on"

pressing every other button

Message 1 of 14
Teacher
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by Gramaw
‎07-13-2017 9:45 AM

Re: Rapidly flashing green light on Genie RC73 remote - Can't reprogram!

SOLVED

In case others come looking for the same answer, here's how I solved the problem:

I called Directv who decided they would need to send me a new remote.  While on hold for more than 10 minutes, I started looking very closely at the remote, remembering years ago that a similar problem happened.  Sure enough, I found the problem -- One of the buttons was stuck in the pushed position. (The 6 was stuck).  I unstuck it, and problem solved.

Tags (1)
Message 2 of 14

NO BUTTON IS STUCK..STILL RAPIDLY FLASHING WITH AND BUTTON PUSHED..PROBLEM NOT SOLVED.

Message 3 of 14

THIS DID NOTHING TO FIX THE PROBLEM.

Message 4 of 14

STILL HAVE THE RC73 THAT STOPPED WORKING.WHEN EVER YOU TRY TO USE IT,  ALL IT DOES IS FLASH GREEN LIGHT FAST..........

HELP//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Message 5 of 14
ACE - Expert

@BIGTUNA458, looks like you need to replace that remote control. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 14

THANK YOU.
Message 7 of 14
Contributor

I have been going nuts with trying to self help ... I read your solution to your problem stuck button Mine surely was #3 thanks now on to my day
Message 8 of 14
Contributor

Once again I will attest to this solution almost 6 months later. Same problem...I dropped it, the batteries fell out, I replaced the batteries (probably not necessary) and when I did got a rapidly blinking green light which stopped in about 15 seconds, then the remote was unresponsive, until I took the batteries out again and did the same thing. I was about to throw out my remote unitl I read the post from Granmaw (July 2017), and realized when I looked closer to the remote that the 5 button was stuck. After I popped it back/unstuck it the remote worked pefectly again. This trick should definitely be in the manual and posted in other places. I feel kinda stupid that I didn't recognize the stuck button before!

Message 9 of 14
Contributor

I don't think I would have found it, but that was exactly my problem. Our puppy got a hold of the unit and I found nothing untoward when I took it from her. Everything seem to work. Thanks to you, I took a second look at the keys and found the number five button was so stuck. Thank you for being a lot smarter than I am.

Message 10 of 14
Contributor

Thanks for following up. Makes all the difference in the world!👍🏻

Message 11 of 14
Contributor

Was going crazy (took good batteries out of another remote but still "flashing green light".

Saw your post and sure enough, the "9" button was stuck "pushed in".

Moved it and "Kazooom!" it started working.

Thank you

Message 12 of 14
Contributor

Thank you for this comment.

Have has similar issues with RC73 remotes since installing a year ago.  

I now have more remotes than I know what to do with as many replacement units were sent.

THIS OUGHT TO BE THE VERY FIRST QUESTION ON THE TROUBLESHOOTING CHART FOR THEM!!!!

I even took batteries out of a working remote (without success).

Thank you.

Message 13 of 14
Contributor

Thanks a bunch for the tip. A caring person you are. After days of moving mountains, I got a working zapper, the number 9 unstuck!

Message 14 of 14
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support