Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Question about Tripod Mounts

Highlighted
Scholar

Question about Tripod Mounts

I know this subject has come up and Ive read many posts here in the forum regarding this but everyone seems to have a different answer. Are tripods still used for installation in say places like apartment buildings with patio or balcony ? some say absolutely NOT but I did come across ths link on the site which clearly states tripods can still be used. It states " - Dish mounting on pole or tripod "as one of the custom installation options.

Another question mainly for installers is whether you install service to Mobile homes, being more specific to stationary mobile homes inside a mobile home park?

I like to be upfront with my customers and there isnt 100% accurate information regarding this or I havent been able to find it. I figure this would be the best place to come and get these answers although from what I have been told ALL DIRECTV installers are contracted so some may have restrictions based on the company they work for or the state or city they service. But any information will be appreciated and very valuable.

So far here on the forums Ive been able to get information regarding the custom installations DIRECTV does and Doesnt handle! I was also able to find information regarding RV installation so I now know where to refer such customers etc. etc. Thanks to all!

Message 1 of 9
Expert
Solution
Accepted by Community Support (Community Support)
Accepted by ATTCustomerCare
‎02-16-2018 11:25 AM

Re: Question about Tripod Mounts

Since DirecTV went to the standard 2' ODU mount for all satellites dishes including the international dish, tripods are no longer used and are NOT provided by DirecTV anymore.  Condo and apt buildings can use the rail mount.  Pole mounts are still an option.  DirecTV policy reg mobile homes is that they have to be stationary with no wheels.  Note that not all DirecTV are contracted, DirecTV has many O&O (owned & operated) shops.  and then you have the HSP's which are companies contracted by DirecTV that only do work for DirecTV.  These companies like MultiBand and MasTec among others, then sub contract to smaller companies

Message 2 of 9
ACE - Expert

That is 2" ODU not 2'

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 9
Expert

Quote: Originally Posted by shannon1 

That is 2" ODU not 2'

really ???... where you able to understand the post?

Message 4 of 9
ACE - Expert

use to be " meant  inches and ' meant foot big difference

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 9
Expert

you are correcting me on punctuation when your posts lacks any form of it…. gimme a break……...

Message 6 of 9
Scholar

Quote: Originally Posted by peds48_installs 

Since DirecTV went to the standard 2' ODU mount for all satellites dishes including the international dish, tripods are no longer used and are NOT provided by DirecTV anymore.  Condo and apt buildings can use the rail mount.  Pole mounts are still an option.  DirecTV policy reg mobile homes is that they have to be stationary with no wheels.  Note that not all DirecTV are contracted, DirecTV has many O&O (owned & operated) shops.  and then you have the HSP's which are companies contracted by DirecTV that only do work for DirecTV.  These companies like MultiBand and MasTec among others, then sub contract to smaller companies

Thanks alot Peds, this is very helpful and will allow my customers to make a more informative decision based on accurate DIRECTV installation policies and avoid unpleasant surprises for both them and the installers.

I wasnt aware that DIRECTV had owned, operated shops, the only thing I've seen out here in CA are retailers and the occasional sales rep  which could be retailers or DIRECTV employees not sure at the local Best buy, Frys and other stores. This is good stuff. Wink

Message 7 of 9
Expert

Quote: Originally Posted by barajas24 

I wasnt aware that DIRECTV had owned, operated shops, 

hopefully one day, DirecTV takes over the installation business for good.  not only will this benefit customers, but techs aw well....

Message 8 of 9
Contributor

Though you can officially use them because they are a little more likely to twist back and forth in a wind storm, many people still do you use this for their own self install, for camping, tailgating etc. If you're looking to buy one, this is a good galvanized tripod for the purpose:

2 in. OD Satellite Dish Tripod for Directv Slimline HD Dish - Satellite Oasis

If having a tripod is going to make or break your install, spending less than $40 on one might be whole it to have it when the installer shows up to your apartment.

Message 9 of 9
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support