Programming Genie remote RC71

Contributor

Programming Genie remote RC71

Have new Genie equipment and need help programming remote. Installer programmed remote to turn on/off DVR and TV and to control volume of Denon receiver. Want to program remote to turn on/off Denon receiver, and also control Sony DVD player. I can't find a manual for this remote.

Message 1 of 51 (455,119 Views)
ACE - Master
Solution
Accepted by ATTJulieCS (Community Support)
‎06-08-2016 8:39 AM

Re: Programming Genie remote RC71

You can't, the DirecTV remote is not a universal programmable remote for multiple devices. Try a Harmony remote.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 51 (58,687 Views)
Tutor

I searched for hours on how to correctly program this remote to work with my TV and after messing around with it in frustration I found the correct way to program it to your TV. First, have your Genie Mini receiver connected and powered on. Next, grab your RC71 remote and simultaneously hold the "MUTE" + "ENTER" buttons until you see a box appear on your TV screen that says "Applying IR/RF Setup. Please Wait" (this appears after about 5 seconds of holding those buttons). Once complete another dialog box will appear and read, "Your remote is now setup for RF." Click "SELECT" to exit that screen. Next, click the "MENU" button, scroll down to "Settings & Help", then click on "Settings", scroll down to and click on "Remote Control", then click "Program Remote". Next you will have two options, either "Program TV" or "Program Audio Device". Click "Program TV", this takes you to a screen where you need to select what BRAND your TV is. After you have selected your TV brand you will have to select the TV Model ( I recommend looking at the sticker on the back of your TV for the accurate Model number or using your current TV remote to find the model number from the menu screen on your TV for fastest and best results). Once the correct model number is selected, AIM your RC71 remote at the TV and it will AUTOMATICALLY program!

This is the easiest, fastest and only correct way I have seen throughout the internet and support forums!

Your welcome Smiley Happy lol

Message 3 of 51 (58,687 Views)
Employee

Awesome step by step instrcutions on how to program teh RC71 to a TV, however the OP in this case was looking to program multiple devices and as texasbrit mentioned, is not possible
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 51 (58,687 Views)
Contributor

My settings for RC71 (mini Genie) don't give me an option to program TV. It stops on selection of IR/RF and give me an instruction what to do. But there is no way to enter a TV model, nothing. I found a code for my TV (TCL) but where I have to enter it?

Follow up: I have found what was my mistake - an button "Enter" is not the same as "Select". I read some reviews where it was "Select". Probably it was for a different remote. "Enter" button is on the bottom of the remote, right bottom corner. It also says "Input" under it.

Message 5 of 51 (58,687 Views)
Employee

post back with the model number of your remote control

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 51 (58,687 Views)
Contributor

I had a similar experience as Nanak.  The installer programmed my remote to turn on my Genie, Mitsubishi TV, and Onkyo receiver.  The volume control on the Genie remote controls the volume on the receiver, but when I power off, only the TV and Genie tuner turn off.  The Onkyo receiver stays on.  If the remote can command the receiver "on", and control volume, why can't it turn off the receiver?

Message 7 of 51 (58,687 Views)
Employee

if you have an RC71 remote control, this remote does  not have a "mode" switch and the OFF and On buttons are only programmed to turn of the receiver and TV.  the audio device is not mapped.  It will never happen with this remote

Employee Contributor*
Message 8 of 51 (58,687 Views)
Mentor

I was able to get the RC71 to turn on and off the HR44/700 my Insignia 32" TV, and to work with the soundbar..

Message 9 of 51 (58,687 Views)
Employee

If your SB is turning OFF and ON with the RC71, is not the remote but it might be HDMI-CEC

Employee Contributor*
Message 10 of 51 (58,687 Views)
Mentor

No, I ordered a second RC71 remote as a back-up and it arrived on Tues, so I went and to the menu and did the programming steps.

1. Out of the box it was set to work with my HR44/700

2. After I got into the programming mode it found my TV with no input from me,

3 It asked for an audio source, so I input my brand Sound brand and it provided a list of model #'s, mine was not listed so I used " I Dont Know" it then started generating codes to try, ( not the old way try these code numbers xxxxx ((input)) yyyyy (( input)).. it generated a code and said did it work, and the screen said to do some function to verify if the code took, if yes use one box, if no, use the other box.  Mine took about 7 codes to find.  But success !!!!

4. It will then asks you to lock in the sound, do you want the volume and mute from the TV or the Audio Source. I choose Audio Source.

When I turn on my system the TV & Receiver come on together and the remote controls the volume of my SoundBar.

Message 11 of 51 (58,687 Views)
Employee

the point of this threas is that RC71 can't power ON or OFF any audio equipment
Employee Contributor*
Message 12 of 51 (58,687 Views)
Mentor

My Bad, failure to fully read all instructions and posts..deduct 10 service points from me......:smileyangry:

Message 13 of 51 (58,687 Views)
Employee

Wrong answers have a 50 point deduction...  :smileysilly:

Employee Contributor*
Message 14 of 51 (58,687 Views)
Expert

PLUS 10 additional points for understating the penalty.

Message 15 of 51 (58,687 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Need immediate assistance with your bill or technical issue? Don’t wait, Click here to chat with us. You can also check out some helpful articles below!

Additional Support