Helpful Links

Program RC71 remote to TV

Tutor

Program RC71 remote to TV

I searched for hours on how to correctly program this remote to work with my TV and after messing around with it in frustration I found the correct way to program it to your TV. First, have your Genie Mini receiver connected and powered on. Next, grab your RC71 remote and simultaneously hold the "MUTE" + "ENTER" buttons until you see a box appear on your TV screen that says "Applying IR/RF Setup. Please Wait" (this appears after about 5 seconds of holding those buttons). Once complete another dialog box will appear and read, "Your remote is now setup for RF." Click "SELECT" to exit that screen. Next, click the "MENU" button, scroll down to "Settings & Help", then click on "Settings", scroll down to and click on "Remote Control", then click "Program Remote". Next you will have two options, either "Program TV" or "Program Audio Device". Click "Program TV", this takes you to a screen where you need to select what BRAND your TV is. After you have selected your TV brand you will have to select the TV Model ( I recommend looking at the sticker on the back of your TV for the accurate Model number or using your current TV remote to find the model number from the menu screen on your TV for fastest and best results). Once the correct model number is selected, AIM your RC71 remote at the TV and it will AUTOMATICALLY program!

This is the easiest, fastest and only correct way I have seen throughout the internet and support forums!

Your welcome Smiley Happy lol

Message 1 of 28
Contributor

Re: Program RC71 remote to TV

No one in tech support knows how to program this new remote.  I talked to 4 different people, including the tech who installed the equipment.  All said it couldn't be done.  Thank you very much!  It worked on all 6 of my TVs. 

Message 2 of 28
Contributor

I have done everything you listed to the tee. And still no TV Volume. When holding the mute and enter, the RC 71 light just flashes green, then red. Then the remote doesn't work. So then NO REMOTE works and have to use the receiver buttons.

I am not used to being the one pleading for help..lol

You would think some kind of directions, ANY KIND OF DIRECTIONS, would be great.

Guess I'll keep looking.

Message 3 of 28
Employee

do you also an HR44

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 28
Contributor

yes I have a Genie and my Genie is working via the remote, the TV is N:smileycry:T

Message 5 of 28
Employee

but which Genie?

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 28
Tutor

You might have un-programmed the remote by incorrectly trying to set it up. If you are able to reset the remote these steps work 100% of the time.

Message 7 of 28
Tutor

Were you able to get it set up?

Message 8 of 28
Contributor

no, I basically gave up....I do have the Genie 34

Message 9 of 28
Contributor

So I tried your instruction and when I do the first set of MUTE+SELECT, I get a message that the button hasn't been set up and if I want to program.  I select to program, and I get caught in this loop of MUTE+SELECT, Enter code 961, and then channel down.  I can never get into the menu that allows me to select to program for a TV and my brand of TV.  I called tech support and they had no clue.  Any ideas?

Message 10 of 28
Tutor

I have the same problem. I stuck in a loop between if you want to setup RF and instruction how to do it. Nothing gives me how to program the remote to my TV.

Message 11 of 28
Employee

Best to start your own new thread using the "Create New Post" button on the main forum page. Your problem may very well be different from the original poster's. With a new thread you can provide more information about your equipment (model numbers), location, and troubleshooting you've tried so far. And this forum software makes it difficult to track or respond to folks that add onto someone else's thread. Thank you.

Employee Contributor*
Message 12 of 28
Tutor

OH my gosh! I am so glad I found your post. I was about to throw this dang remote through the window. I don't know why the dang info channel does not tell you this. THANK YOU!!

Message 13 of 28
Contributor

Hi Randy,

In order for that to work wouldn't the Genie and the receiver have to be in the IR mode? Unfortunately the Genie can not be switched to IR. and my Onkyo is not RF capable. I finally had a technician to program the Genie so that the volume control would talk to my Onkyo. However it still won't allow me to turn the receiver on/off. BTW, when I asked how he accessed the various receiver model he refused to divulge his secret saying that if he did I would probably mess it up and he would have to return!! ;-(

Message 14 of 28
Employee

machbuster wrote:

Hi Randy,

Unfortunately the Genie can not be switched to IR. a

Which Genie?  both the HR34 and HR44 can work in IR.  as a matter of fact the HR44 can do both at the same time

Employee Contributor*
Message 15 of 28
Share this topic
Announcements

Need immediate assistance with your bill or technical issue? Don’t wait, Click here to chat with us. You can also check out some helpful articles below!

Additional Support