Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Power Inserter optional?

Contributor

Power Inserter optional?

If (as I have read here) a Power Inserter is not needed with HDR54 to SWM Slimline 5 LNB then why did the tech install one?

(Didn't know enough about all this to ask at the time. Still learning.)

1) Slimline 5, 1) HDR54, 1) wired Genie Mini, 2) Wireless Genie Mini's, 1) Wireless Video Bridge, 1) Power Inserter, a few splitters, RG6 throughout the house, (4 TV's)

All works pretty well.

Is this just power overkill so as to not risk overpowering the built-in inserter?

What other possible reasons?

Message 1 of 7
Employee

Re: Power Inserter optional?

If you have a non-swim lnb and are using a swm16 multiswitch, the power required for that is 29 volts and the hr54 only puts out 21 volts. If your power inserter is grey, it is 29v, black, 21v. If your PI is located at another location, it may be that the cable might be solid copper in that location which carries electricity much better than copper clad steel, which has a steal semiconductor coated in coper; volts travel up the middle of the semiconductor and signal flows off the skin into the dialetric, the white stuff. Now if you have a black PI in the same location as the HR54, then there is no reason to have it. As far as putting in too much voltage, there is no concern for that as it is killed at any connection not rated to carry voltage through. Hope this helps you.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 7
ACE - Expert

So an additional power inserter is needed with the HR54 (not HDR54) in certain setups.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 7
ACE - Expert

You do not need an additional power inserter with the Hr54 unless as chrismich says you are connected to an SWM multiswitch instead of an SWM LNB. Rare, so probably does not apply to you. Some people use a stand-alone PI if they have a configuration with other receivers/DVRs (not mini-clients) because if they don't have a PI and the HR54 fails for some reason, all their other receivers stop working also. This does not apply to you either, so the installer need not have installed the PI, but it won't cause any problems.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 7
Tutor

What are the difference between power inverter and power inserter for directv? 

Message 5 of 7
Employee

@KBALLTV, there is only a power inserter for DirecTV. there are 2 models: the 21volt (black) for SWiM setups (one line coming from the dish) and the 29volt (grey) for use with a DirecTV multiswitch (4 or 6 lines coming from the dish). Most residential installs today will use the 21volt power inserter. 

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 7
ACE - Expert

A power inverter is a completely different device that has nothing to do with Directv. If you see it mentioned in connection with Directv, that's an error. Directv uses a power inserter (not inverter) to deliver power to the dish (or to an SWM multiswitch if you are using one - that's becoming rarer as people update their hardware).

Message 7 of 7
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support