Explore & discover

Helpful Links

No Roof Installations?

Contributor

No Roof Installations?

Long-time DTV customer.  Received email(s) notifying me that I must upgrade by April 2019 (at no charge) or will lose local channels.  Called to schedule upgrade and - you guessed it - after 3 phone calls and two tech visits, have confirmed that they cannot get on our roof, OSHA regulations, etc.  We are semi-rural, heavily wooded and have line-of-sight obstructions, so the roof is really our only option for reception. The suggestions we get for solving this problem are find an installation contractor to install and tune the antenna (on our dime), or they can install on the side of our house (again, line of sight issues).

This is part rant and part plea for suggestions and/or answers from DTV - we can't be the only customers in this situation.  Are all such customers being told to DIY the solution to this problem and spend hundreds of dollars to fix a problem created by DTV? We were also told by the tech on our 3rd call that they were told the date is November and for us to give them time to come up with a work-around solution. Is there a solution in the works, or do I need to drop DTV? What is the real deal and real date on our equipment becoming obsolete and losing local stations?

Message 1 of 4
ACE - Expert

Re: No Roof Installations?

It is all SD MPEG2 channels not just locals, if the only place is on the side then that is all that they will do.  They can't make a mount as they are only allowed to use approved methods so you are left with the DIY way or change providers.  As far as we know the April date you where sent is still the correct date.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 4
Contributor

So if the SD channels are going away, is it possible to just upgrade receivers for HD?  We currently have 1 HD receiver and 2 SD receivers (no Genie or DVR systems). Would upgrading to all HD receivers eliminate the need to replace the dish?

Message 3 of 4
ACE - Expert

@ftwdtv wrote:

So if the SD channels are going away, is it possible to just upgrade receivers for HD?  We currently have 1 HD receiver and 2 SD receivers (no Genie or DVR systems). Would upgrading to all HD receivers eliminate the need to replace the dish?

No.  Unless you already have a Slimline HD Dish.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 4
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support