Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Moving to house that has an updated dishe already

Highlighted
Tutor

Moving to house that has an updated dishe already

AT&T charges $199 mover fee. Their argument is the cost of new equipment. How can that be when I retained my 7yr old receiver and there was already a current dish on the house. The cables are all run too. I honestly hooked it up to be ready for the tech to show up and call in to say activate old service at new address. Sadly it was working the day I hooked it up as service was still active at old house. They of course had move scheduled for 2 days away so they terminated the service old house. I lost the signal while I waited for tech for another week. One week without service because I could not make them understand it was hooked up properly and I actually did not need the tech at all. Just TURN it ON. Nope. no can do. Since AT&T took over they said they lost access to do that. HMMM if I did not pay the bill it would get turned off without a tech at my house for $199. And the techs are stretched so thin is why it took so long to get one here. I phoned move order week ahead of time. I was trying to save them tech time. And a useless $199 fee to me/loyal 20yr long customer. 

How can this tech issue be improved? The customer is using existing equipment to remain a customer. They have hooked it for theirself for 20yrs. It works. How can we phone in and say turn it on? without waiting a wee with out service and NO credits? 

Tags (2)
Message 1 of 3
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by Employee (Employee)
Accepted by rldvxi
‎12-07-2018 2:15 PM

Re: Moving to house that has an updated dishe already

DirecTV's standard move fee is $199. You take your equipment to the new location (or get an upgrade) and then the DirecTV tech does the install, including installing a new dish if you need it.  DirecTV has to do this because they have no idea whether your installation at the new house is actually working, (even if you think it is), and has signal levels that meet DirecTV's install criteria, they can't rely on the customer just telling them it's OK. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 3
ACE - Expert

Re: Moving to house that has an updated dishe already

Also DirecTV is ending the last of their MPEG-2 feeds in April of 2019. So some places even if install is still good, might be the old setup which would become unusable in a few months. DirecTV has no way to remotely see this so they insist on a tech install with a move to make sure everything is done properly to avoid having to clean up a mess after the fact by someone who was confident they "knew what they were doing".

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 3
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support