Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Local Channels on Stabilized Antenna/HD Receivers/SWM

Contributor

Local Channels on Stabilized Antenna/HD Receivers/SWM

I have a customer with H24 receivers connected to a stabilized antenna via SWM not getting local channels. The antenna has one LNB and has two be switched from one satellite to another as channels are changed on the receivers. The antenna manufacturer states the antenna is not capable of receiving HD channels. It's my understanding that the only way for an HD receiver to receive SD on this type of antenna is with a multi-switch, rather than with a SWM device. The customer's only complaint is that they aren't getting locals. Is there anyway around this?

Message 1 of 4
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by QKnight
‎03-28-2019 6:32 PM

Re: Local Channels on Stabilized Antenna/HD Receivers/SWM

Nope, as DTV is shutting down the MPEG2 SD channels starting next month so only HD slimline dishes will work.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 4
Employee

I have a few questions:

What is the manufacturer/model of the satellite they are using?

What error is showing when they go to a local channel?

If this is an RV setup is the customer traveling out of the town that they get their locals from?

What SWiM device is installed?

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 4
ACE - Expert

What's the zip code where the dish is located?  There are many parts of the US where the locals are only avalable from the "HD satelltes" and so the dish won't receive them.

It's further complicated by the changes DirecTv is making to its channels and satellites.  The MPEG-2 locals on 101 are going away and being replaced by MPEG-4 locals coming from 99/101/103. No-one seems to know what will be coming from where. DirecTV is replacing "101 only "dishes with Slimine dishes capable of receiving all three satellites. Unfortunately I have no idea what your dish provider might be planning - remember DirecTV has nothing to do with your dish, you need your dish supplierto tell youwhat is going on. What I have heard so far is that the dish suppliers seem to be woefully ignorant of the plan.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 4
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support