Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Impacted by the government shutdown? AT&T can help.  Learn more

Internet Connection Options for Genie DVR

Internet Connection Options for Genie DVR

We have a Genie/DVR feeding one TV and  Wireless Video Bridge distributing to 3 wireless receivers. When initially installed the cable from the dish was split with a 2-way passive coax splitter. One cable then went to the Bridge in one room and the other to the Genie in a different room. At the Genie location, I had an Ethernet cable running under the house to the router in yet another room.

We are doing some home renovations so I had to move the Genie/DVR and Wireless Video Bridge to a spot where I have no Ethernet cable connection for the Genie. Do I need an Ethernet connection at the Genie for the features it enables or is there a wireless option?

The Genie and Bridge are next to each other now. I removed the splitter and fed the dish cable into the Bridge and then cabled the bridge output coax connector, which had a terminator on it, into the Genie with a short coax cable. In other words, the Genie is daisy-chained to the Bridge. Everything seems to be working fine but in addition to my question above re. internet connection,  I'd like to validate that this new configuration is OK.  

Hope this makes sense. Thanks.

UPDATE:  Seems I don't need the Ethernet connection after all.  DVR is an HR54. When I went into the settings menu, Internet Connection tab, there was an option to find a wireless network and that worked perfectly. I didn't notice it before and always assumed I needed to connect via Ethernet (possibly the installer told me that and I never looked into it further because an Ethernet connection was available).  

Message 1 of 2
ACE - Expert

Re: Internet Connection Options for Genie DVR

Yes, you can use your WiFi.  Glad you figured it out. Enjoy!

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 2
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support