Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Installing wireless Video bridge

Scholar

Installing wireless Video bridge

does it matter how close a Wireless Video Bridge is to my main genie receiver?  I don't have a lot of room near my main TV so i'm wondering if this will be an issue!

thanks,

stephen

Message 1 of 6
ACE - Expert

Re: Installing wireless Video bridge

No. The bigger issue is how far the WVB is from your Wireless Genie Clients. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 6
ACE - Expert

The WVB uses coax to connect to the Genie so it can be up to 150' from the SWM splitter that connects the Genie to everything.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 6
Teacher

I think I have one too many networking devices.

From my DTV dish, I have a cable coming in to the SWM power inserter PI21R1-03.

The output goes to a SWiM DirecTV splitter 2-Way MSPLIT2R0-01.

One output goes to my HR44/500.  The other goes to a WVBR0-01 Video Bridge for my Genie Minis.

The cable continues from the WVB to a DECA Broaband Adapter DECABB1MR0-01.

From there, I have a CAT5 cable to my network router.

My problem is with the DirecTV App on Android.

It complained that I wasn't connected to my home network when I tried to do a download of a recorded program.
Someone suggested that I shouldn't be using the wired Ethernet connection on the HR44.
I configured the HR44 for Wireless, and it complained about a "loop detected".

I unplugged the power to the DECA, and that error message went away.

It seems that I could have my cable go to the WVB, and then the HR44, and not have a splitter or the DECA.  Would eliminating the splitter improve my signal quality?  I get more weather-related dropouts now than I did in a previous house with older wired receivers in the other rooms.

I would think wired would be better than WiFi for the Internet connection, but if that doesn't work with my app, the DECA seems useless.

What about the Ethernet RJ45 connector on the HR44?  Can I use that instead of the wireless or cable-DECA?

At the moment, I am inclined to download my programs and then plug in the DECA so that I have the wired connection.

Message 4 of 6
ACE - Expert

The DECA BB is the only DTV approved method to hard wire the internet to DTV receivers though Ethernet cable works on the Genies.

It shouldn't matter how the Genie is connected to the internet to use the mobile app.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
Message 5 of 6
Teacher

It shouldn't matter how the Genie is connected to the internet to use the mobile app.

It certainly seems to matter, and I've seen another posting about it in the forum.

The HR44 has to be WiFi in order for the "Home Network" to be detected.

I recall that my Nomad wouldn't work when connected to a second switch, hardwired to a DTivo.

Message 6 of 6
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support