Explore & discover

Helpful Links

How to leave a review for DirecTV

Contributor

How to leave a review for DirecTV

Not even 24 hours with DirecTV and I am not pleased at all.1st off spent all day yesterday and this morning trying to fix everything that was installed wrong.The guy that installed our TV's left a mess and charged me $99 for another wireless router when I already had one that I purchased from you guys before.I also notice when he installed the wireless boxes and the genie he didn't even bring in new cables just used the one that dish had provided for us I would think if I'm going to spend another $100 with you guys you can at least give me all new products.Then I went to check out the channels I noticed you guys had activated the wrong package so I had to call in and fix that mistake.then this morning I noticed there was no satellite signal so had to call in to get that fix and also add in the free premium channels that you guys offered us but did not give us. Trying to get internet and tv bundled together has been a pain also.After all that now our channels glitch and freeze. (Side note i hate the setup of the  Genie Hopefully with time it'll get easier to navigate) Wish I would have stayed with dish.

Message 1 of 25
Tutor

Re: How to leave a review for DirecTV

This is by far the worst service I have ever encountered.  I called three weeks in advance to let them know that I did not want to renew my contract, as it was up September 5th.  When asked why, I told them a list of reasons ranging from horrible customer service time and time again to a loss of our local channels (abc and nbc) for 8 months.  We were never even offered a discount for not receiving two of the main local channels, so we were basically paying for a service that didn't even work! After receiving a generic "we're sorry for that" I was informed that they were unable to simply end our service at the end of our contract and that I needed to call back on the 5th.  This means that had I not called I would have been sucked into another year of this horrible TV service.  So, after wasting 45 minutes on the phone, I hung up and waited it out until the 5th.  This morning, I waited to get directed to the correct person for about 30 minutes just to be hung up on!  I called back and wait another 10 minutes before I'm connected to someone who then proceeds to tell me that despite my contract being up on the 5th, I STILL have to pay a cancellation fee.  At this point I'm furious, as I have now wasted almost 2 hours of my time trying to do a simple task that should honestly be available online.  Next, they try and sell me on some new promotional packages that are available as if I would ever want to deal with these people again.  Long story short, horrible service, even worse customer service, and a horrible overall experience.  I would never recommend Directv to a friend. 

Message 16 of 25
Tutor

This is by far the worst service I have ever encountered.  I called three weeks in advance to let them know that I did not want to renew my contract, as it was up September 5th.  When asked why, I told them a list of reasons ranging from horrible customer service time and time again to a loss of our local channels (abc and nbc) for 8 months.  We were never even offered a discount for not receiving two of the main local channels, so we were basically paying for a service that didn't even work! After receiving a generic "we're sorry for that" I was informed that they were unable to simply end our service at the end of our contract and that I needed to call back on the 5th.  This means that had I not called I would have been sucked into another year of this horrible TV service.  So, after wasting 45 minutes on the phone, I hung up and waited it out until the 5th.  This morning, I waited to get directed to the correct person for about 30 minutes just to be hung up on!  I called back and wait another 10 minutes before I'm connected to someone who then proceeds to tell me that despite my contract being up on the 5th, I STILL have to pay a cancellation fee.  At this point I'm furious, as I have now wasted almost 2 hours of my time trying to do a simple task that should honestly be available online.  Next, they try and sell me on some new promotional packages that are available as if I would ever want to deal with these people again.  Long story short, horrible service, even worse customer service, and a horrible overall experience.  I would never recommend Directv to a friend. 

Message 17 of 25
ACE - Expert

@letmeoff 

The account wasn't canceled, but you got a return kit to send the equipment back? The return kit shouldn't have been generated unless account was canceled. So it sounds like an agent did a manual return request which is what caused the problem. If so this should have been an easy dispute. So very likely that agent wasn't even in their cancellation/retention department.

Call DirecTV back. When you get the voice system say "cancel" as that should route you directly. With how long the issue has gone on you may wish to request a supervisor.

Request they check the return order and confirm it was for all boxes on the account. Since service cannot work without a single box, this should be the huge proof that an error occurred so they can adjust service back to when it should have been canceled.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 18 of 25
ACE - Expert

@ET1292 

No you wouldn't have been "suckered" into another year with DirecTV. Contract does not automatically renew. All the contract means is that if you cancel before it is up then you are charged an early cancellation fee (ECF). Once it is up you can cancel or just continue service at your choice.

There was no credit required for local channel negotiations. No TV provider can force them to always be there. This is why all TV providers have a clause in their Terms of Service that channels can change at any time. Sometimes they may give you a credit as a courtesy if you call about it, but there is no obligation to do so as they are following the rules.

If your service agreement end date is Sept 5, then no early cancellation fee would charge if you called today. Just make sure that is your service agreement date and not your billing date, as those are not guaranteed to match depending what has occurred on the account since you started (equipment upgrade, promotions, suspension, etc.) that may have updated the actual end date.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 19 of 25
Tutor

That’s what I thought as well, and on the call today the woman helping me
also confirmed that the contract was up today. Yet, I was charged a
cancellation fee.
Message 20 of 25
ACE - Expert

@ET1292 

I wonder if that is a billing issue or design of the new billing system (I suspect a bit of both for this situation). Value of ECF is the same ($20 for each month remaining), but it used to be counted as for each full month reaming. So if you had only a few days left there wouldn't be a charge. It would be understandable if AT&T made it more precise to the end date of service, but as cancellation doesn't go through until end of day then ECF shouldn't have charged as you were still active that day, unless the agreement actually had more time left.

Well for any company I do business with if I chose to cancel, then I will plan for such an action to be absolutely after the end date of any contract to be safe.

If the service agreement date was the end date of your service cycle, or at least close to it, then the $20 would still be cheaper. There new policy is billing goes through the end of service cycle. So if you waited for after the end date and your cycle started over, you would have been charged a full month instead of prorating to the last day you wanted.

Message 21 of 25
Tutor

Direct TV have the worst customer service. When you first start with them everything is so nice, but then if want to cancel their services, your problems will start. Their programs are very expensive, and they charge you mandatory fees, like sports for example, we don't watch sports, even if you explain and ask them to remove it, they just wont. Also be aware of their cancelation policy, they don't prorate cancellation of services, you must cancel before your new bill generates, or otherwise they will charge for the full month, even if you moved and no longer has the service.
In the other hand, I fixed my problem with YouTube TV ( this is not advertising) it is my own experience. YouTube TV gives you 70 channels including some premium ones, for up to 6 tv's, for $49. There is no better than that out there.  Guys, Just stay away of Direct TV, I know every experience is different, but mine was really bad with them. I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT.

Message 22 of 25
Contributor

I completely agree!!! I have been a costumer for 15 years, and when I called to cancel it was a complete disaster. It has been one gross misrepresentation after another. Oh you added a tv a year ago and that put you in another two year contract so now you have a cancelation fee! I was never made aware of that!!! Never signed anything agreeing to that. Oh and since you canceled on the 7th and your plan cycle ended on the 4th, you owe another month. Plus! We automatically tacked on $65 for the NFL ticket even after you called in March and said you did not want that anymore. So your final bill is $391.87! Was $82/month normally. What a joke! I have spent over 12 hours on the phone with them, over 4 different days, to be told that my prior phone conversations don’t provide enough notes to verify that I actually said no to NFL ticket or that they said they would make sure I was not in a contract. I have had horrible customer service. I was hung up on when asking their name and what dept they are in. I am learning to document everything, every time I call because they never have the facts in their “notes”. I have been “escalated” to another dept twice where they were supposed to call me back within 72 hours to resolve this and have never received a callback. I could literally go on and on. It is a HUGE SCAM! NEVER GO WITH DIRECTV. I can promise you, you will regret it. Wish I never had....

Message 23 of 25
ACE - Expert

@Puppa79 wrote:

Direct TV have the worst customer service. When you first start with them everything is so nice, but then if want to cancel their services, your problems will start. Their programs are very expensive, and they charge you mandatory fees, like sports for example, we don't watch sports, even if you explain and ask them to remove it, they just wont. Also be aware of their cancelation policy, they don't prorate cancellation of services, you must cancel before your new bill generates, or otherwise they will charge for the full month, even if you moved and no longer has the service.
In the other hand, I fixed my problem with YouTube TV ( this is not advertising) it is my own experience. YouTube TV gives you 70 channels including some premium ones, for up to 6 tv's, for $49. There is no better than that out there.  Guys, Just stay away of Direct TV, I know every experience is different, but mine was really bad with them. I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT.

Sports cannot be directly removed. However, I believe you are referring to the Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee. To remove the fee you must go to a package that doesn't have the RSNs. That would be Family, select, and Entertainment.

However there is now also Preferred Xtra. This package came out around the same time DirecTV started itemizing the RSN fee, instead of keeping it hidden in other costs like other providers still do. Preferred Xtra has essentially the same channels, minus some sports channels. Since it removes the RSNs, the RSN fee goes away. It is also a couple dollars cheaper than Xtra, making it comparable to as if you were on the Choice package (total bill cost comparison). Call DirecTV and when you get the voice system say "cancel" to discuss with a retention agent since has sounded like it got moved to being a retention offer only (as many front line agents aren't aware of the package, or at least don't discuss it).

As for proration that changed earlier this year that full service month is billed regardless when you cancel within the cycle. They are not the only provider to have this policy. However I do agree that if you move and the tech is unable to complete install because of no line of sight (NLOS), then I feel that should be an exception but it is a flat policy. Moving and just choosing not get the service however, then that is a voluntary cancel and up to you if you don't want to keep the full month even though you pay for it.

YouTube isn't for everybody. Some of us don't have good enough internet, or internet at all, to rely on just streaming services. When it comes to satellite TV vs an entire home trying to share 1.5Mbps, then the dedicated TV service becomes better as it doesn't eat your internet bandwidth. So satellite, streaming, cable are each optimized for different markets of customers.

Message 24 of 25
ACE - Expert

@Awitty wrote:

I completely agree!!! I have been a costumer for 15 years, and when I called to cancel it was a complete disaster. It has been one gross misrepresentation after another. Oh you added a tv a year ago and that put you in another two year contract so now you have a cancelation fee! I was never made aware of that!!! Never signed anything agreeing to that. Oh and since you canceled on the 7th and your plan cycle ended on the 4th, you owe another month. Plus! We automatically tacked on $65 for the NFL ticket even after you called in March and said you did not want that anymore. So your final bill is $391.87! Was $82/month normally. What a joke! I have spent over 12 hours on the phone with them, over 4 different days, to be told that my prior phone conversations don’t provide enough notes to verify that I actually said no to NFL ticket or that they said they would make sure I was not in a contract. I have had horrible customer service. I was hung up on when asking their name and what dept they are in. I am learning to document everything, every time I call because they never have the facts in their “notes”. I have been “escalated” to another dept twice where they were supposed to call me back within 72 hours to resolve this and have never received a callback. I could literally go on and on. It is a HUGE SCAM! NEVER GO WITH DIRECTV. I can promise you, you will regret it. Wish I never had....

Upgrades of equipment, which includes adding an additional TV, have come with a 24 month agreement for about 20 years at least. The order confirmation emailed that day would have listed as well including the handheld the tech has you sign confirming everything. Yes wrong on agent for not going over the agreement, but DirecTV does have multiple notices of it so it is still valid in the end.

Cancel on Sept 7, but your service month starts Sept 5. Then yes you will pay for Sept 5 thru Aug 4 as DirecTV no longer prorates cancellation. This changed at the beginning of the year with notice sent last year about the update. I have it detailed in the prior post for reference.

NFL Sunday Ticket should have been removed when you requested it. If the installments started in July (1st of 6) then it wasn't completed and needed to be fixed at that time. However there is a billing issue that recently came to light, that upon cancellation the system doesn't automatically opt out if you are still before season so results in the full amount being charged on the final bill. This is something they need to get fixed before the next season so they don't go through this all over again. This year an unfortunate issue with the migration as this is the 1st NFL season since being moved over. I'll cautiously give an understandable pass on it occurring (they still need to credit it of course), but if anyone who might cancel next year goes through that then there is no excuse in my book.

Message 25 of 25
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support