Explore & discover

Helpful Links

How do I hook up my new directv box to my old tv?

Highlighted

How do I hook up my new directv box to my old tv?

I have an old television with a component in connection. The DirecTV box has an A/V out connection. I have a cable that has the A/V connection on one end and goes out to the component jacks. When I have this plugged in from the DirecTV box to the TV and turn it to component I get no picture or sound. Do I need a digital converter box or something? Is there maybe something wrong with my TV?

DirecTV Genie Mini, Model C61 - 500

DIRECTV 10 Pin To Component Dongle H25 Genie Mini Clients, I bought off Amazon.com

Sanyo TV, Model DS32225

Message 1 of 25
ACE - Master

Re: How do I hook up my new directv box to my old tv?

make sure the tv is set to the correct input.  might require the tv remote to do this

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 25

I had the input set to component. I even cycled thru the rest of the possible inputs just to make sure. Still nothing...

Message 3 of 25
ACE - Master

what are the colors of the cable?

make sure tis in the compnent area not the composite

the composit do not carry sound, just video

do you still have the manual for the tv?

try composite or svideo??

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 25
ACE - Expert

There are two dongles available, one for component and one for composite. If you have the component one, it will connect to your TV using red/green/bluevideo cables, plus red/white for audio

Message 5 of 25

Yes, the one I have has red/blue/green and red/white cables.
Message 6 of 25

Triple checked that they are plugged into the correct holes, hard to mess up since they are color coded. I don't have the manual to the tv or any other cables.
Message 7 of 25
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by HorgeWiard
‎03-13-2017 7:00 PM

I checked the TV manual ....

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/317744/Sanyo-Ds27425.html#product-DS32225

This is not a HiDef TV.  It can only handle 480i SD video resolution via its Component Video input, so be sure that your C61 is set to ouput only 480i SD Video, not any HiDef resolutions (720p or 1080i). 

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Message 8 of 25

Thanks. Now I need to know how to change the resolution. There isn't a button on the remote or the genie.

Edit: never mind, I was able to see it for a second if I switched between another input and component and was able to navagate the menu to resolutions. I checked off 480p leaving 480i and it's working now. Thank you all!
Message 9 of 25
ACE - Expert

Glad it is working.

For others who need to fine tune their resolution settings: Menu > Settings & Help > Settings > Display > Resoution

Also same path but: Display > Preferences > Guide HD Channels, make sure it shows Hide HD Channels, not Hide SD Duplicates or All Channels

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
Message 10 of 25
Tutor

The DirecTV manual to hook it up

Message 11 of 25
ACE - Expert

@Jamesy, it's been 9-months.  Hopefully they figured it out by now Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 25
ACE - Expert

Sounds like the OP got it ok. I can understand the frustration working with those ports as not all TVs have separate sets of ports for composite/component, but some overlap. Thankfully more of them not have letters next to them instead of just colors (for those of us that are color blind.

For a while I missed the coax/ant input being the only option. 3 color AV plugs were manageable until 5 color and then I wanted to scream, lol. Got to say I am glad for HDMI now (or Display Port on my computer) as unique shape is so much easier to deal with.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
Message 13 of 25
Contributor

I'm getting the same thing I don't get no picture just the sound what am I doing wrong someone plz help

Message 14 of 25
Contributor

I'm having the same problem my screen is blue no sound or nothing I have a Panasonic older tv with vcr attached to it can u tell me what I'm doing wrong

Message 15 of 25
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support